I just finished watching the U.S. National Team friendly loss 0-1 loss to Ecuador and despite a just one win through five matches, I'm really impressed with the improvements I've seen under Klinsmann...and keep in mind he is playing a lot of different players to gauge on the run exactly with what he has to work.

The ball moved very well in the first half, spacing was really nice throughout the match and most importantly the defending was really solid save for late sub Tim Ream's lapse that allowed Ecuador's lone goal.

The main problem reamins actually netting the opportunities the improved play through the midfield provides.

I think we're starting to see the shape this squad will take when World Cup qualifying starts next year...

Howard is still brilliant at keeper.

Bocanegra has been his usual solid self at the back, but he'll be 35 come next World Cup...Gooch Onyewo appeared as fit as I've seen him, ever. If he maintains fitness I think he finally lives up to expectations...Timmy Chandler will be a regular at either left or right back for years to come...he was near flawless at the back and pushed forward with confidence. Cherundelo was meh in his time and Jon Spector and Tim Ream came on in this match and neither looked international ready. Klinsmann has used a variety of other players at the back with mixed results in his other friendlies.

In the mid, Brek Shea is an emerging star (starting to get looks from EPL sides) and Maurice Edu's confidence appeared high...both made nifty ad decisive runs off of Dempsey's (best American player...) play in the central mid (CF-ish). The U.S. attack fell off considerably when Shea and Edu were subbed out at half. Beckerman (love his hair) needs seasoning, but has some potential...wouldn't mind seeing him get a look at an outside back, opposite Chandler. Danny Williams is a player to keep an eye on...I believe he has just 2 caps, but he looked lively. Beasley (I know...I thought he was dead, too) and Bradley did some good things individually (Beasley was pacey and inventive, Bradley hit a lovely set piece that nearly found the upper 90) but neither seemed familiar with Dempsey. Stuart Holden would be a huge boost...unfortunately he had micro-fracture surgery and is out 6 months.

Up front, Jozy still has a suspect touch...Agudelo was sloppy...Buddle made one excellent run and capped it with a lovely ball to Beasley, but was otherwise invisible.

My ideal line-up for qualifying, from what I've seen so far (and assuming Landon is available and Holden is not)

GK - Howard

LB - Chandler

CB - Gooch

CB - Bocanegra

RB - Cherundelo (really, no other option...)

CDM - Jones...maybe Beckerman or Torres if fit

CAM - Edu

LM - Shea

RM - Rogers...maybe Danny Williams

CF - Dempsey/Donavon

ST - Donavon/Dempsey...I don't want them next to each other...one behind the other...I think Dempsey is the more creative so I'd prefer him behind, acting as a fulcrum for the attack.

Soccer talk > realignment talk. Keep it going.

Not a Beckerman fan. I would think Holden will be available by then, though he could be hurt again by then too.

I still think Jozy should be in the lineup. Orosco shouldn't see the field again for some time. Not a fan of his play.

My prefered lineup (and I am going to assume Holden and Donovan are available.) Jones could really step into either DM role.

-----------Timmy---------

Dolo--Bocs--Gooch---Chandler

-------Edu---------------

------------Bradley------

Dempsey-------------Donovan

----------Holden---------

--------Jozy-------------

Shea, Agudelo, and Jones subbed in at some point.

Beckerman is way too slow to play outside back. His best position is where Klinnsman has him, as a destroyer in fromt of the back four in a 4-1-3-2 formation. Although I think Bradley would be best in that position. Dolo is the best we have at right back. He's losing some of his quickness, but you saw the huge dropoff when Spector came in. Shea at this point looks like a starter on the left wing. I'd really disagree with Rogers starting, in fact I woulnd't have him in my top18. Just doesnt have the ideas or control, he's just fast. Assuming everyone is healthy, and that 4-1-3-2 I'd like to see

-------------Howard---------------------

Dolo---Gooch---Boca---Chandler

--------------Bradley-------------------

Donovan---Holden---------Shea

Dempsey -------------- Altidore

I could also see Adu or Torres in there as more creative midfielders.

Not a Beckerman fan. I would think Holden will be available by then, though he could be hurt again by then too.

I still think Jozy should be in the lineup. Orosco shouldn't see the field again for some time. Not a fan of his play.

My prefered lineup (and I am going to assume Holden and Donovan are available.) Jones could really step into either DM role.

-----------Timmy---------

Dolo--Bocs--Gooch---Chandler

-------Edu---------------

------------Bradley------

Dempsey-------------Donovan

----------Holden---------

--------Jozy-------------

Shea, Agudelo, and Jones subbed in at some point.

Holden's health, Shea and Chandler's continued development and finding someone capable of poaching up front (I don't think it's Jozy) are the keys to making it through qualification and having some success (win a knock-out game?) in 2014.

Even with a fit Holden, I don't like the idea of playing both Dempsey and Donovan on the wing...they're your best facilitators, and as we saw in the first half last night, with the right personnel the attack feeds off of Dempsey in the CF spot.

Holden's health, Shea and Chandler's continued development and finding someone capable of poaching up front (I don't think it's Jozy) are the keys to making it through qualification and having some success (win a knock-out game?) in 2014.

Even with a fit Holden, I don't like the idea of playing both Dempsey and Donovan on the wing...they're your best facilitators, and as we saw in the first half last night, with the right personnel the attack feeds off of Dempsey in the CF spot.

I have always thought Donovan disappears for long stretches when he is asked to play more centrally. Holden plays centrally for Bolton and I think he has the ability to be the fulcrum, though Dempsey could also play there. For me it comes down to Holden playing centrally more often than Dempsey. If Holden is out injured then I would say push Clint inside and slot in Shea opposite Donovan, though let them switch sides as they see fit.

Beckerman is way too slow to play outside back. His best position is where Klinnsman has him, as a destroyer in fromt of the back four in a 4-1-3-2 formation. Although I think Bradley would be best in that position. Dolo is the best we have at right back. He's losing some of his quickness, but you saw the huge dropoff when Spector came in. Shea at this point looks like a starter on the left wing. I'd really disagree with Rogers starting, in fact I woulnd't have him in my top18. Just doesnt have the ideas or control, he's just fast. Assuming everyone is healthy, and that 4-1-3-2 I'd like to see

-------------Howard---------------------

Dolo---Gooch---Boca---Chandler

--------------Bradley-------------------

Donovan---Holden---------Shea

Dempsey -------------- Altidore

I could also see Adu or Torres in there as more creative midfielders.

Interesting, but I don't think you can leave Edu out of any line-up right now. Edu was used in the attacking CM last night...Bradley used him almost exclusively in a defensive mid...not sure if he's capable on a wing, but he seems to be excelling in attack.

Bradley was arguably our best overall player last World Cup, but his struggles to find consistent club time are worrying. He's started Chievo's last 3 matches though...hopefully that continues.

Spector and Ream were both poor...Klinsmann gave Torres a look in the back against Belgium, I believe...with the glut in the midfield, I think someone has to slide back. Maybe even Danny Williams? He looked really good in the first, but may not have it in him to crack the top 6 or 7 in our mid.

Hmm it looks like Shea is set to remain a starter...

Klinsmann has taken notice of that relationship as well, and his praise for both players along with pronouncing that Shea has "secured his spot in the starting lineup" should lead to a consistent pairing of the two in future matches.

"They start to develop an instinct for each other," Klinsmann said. "Timmy's doing a good job reading (Shea). These types of partnerships ... those take time."

One thing that's missing is connecting play in the final third. Which I think is why we are not scoring. Part of that recently was missing Donovan out right. We need someone behind Dempsey who can unlock a defense. I can think of two guys who can do that, Freddy Adu and Torres. The problem with both is they are inconsistent, and don't play defense. I'm thinking Klinnsman thinks this way too which is why he had Torres in there when he was healthy. If you put one of those guys in the middle, you have to have a destroyer behind them in the midfield. I think this is why Klinnsman likes Beckerman. It's a perfect role for him. What's weird about that though is it leaves Holden out. Granted he hasn't been part of the team yet really anyway. I could see it going like this.

----------Howard----------------

Dolo-------Gooch-----Boca------Chandler

-------Bradley/Beckerman-------

Donovan----Adu/Torres------Shea

---Dempsey-----Altidore---

With Altidore up top and Dempsey a withdrawn forward. This should be able to unlock teams and I think would give Altidore chances to finish. It's risky because up the middle we'd be weak defensively in front of Beckerman or Bradley.

I think that's our strongest team if everyone is playing well.

One thing that's missing is connecting play in the final third. Which I think is why we are not scoring. Part of that recently was missing Donovan out right. We need someone behind Dempsey who can unlock a defense. I can think of two guys who can do that, Freddy Adu and Torres. The problem with both is they are inconsistent, and don't play defense. I'm thinking Klinnsman thinks this way too which is why he had Torres in there when he was healthy. If you put one of those guys in the middle, you have to have a destroyer behind them in the midfield. I think this is why Klinnsman likes Beckerman. It's a perfect role for him. What's weird about that though is it leaves Holden out. Granted he hasn't been part of the team yet really anyway. I could see it going like this.

----------Howard----------------

Dolo-------Gooch-----Boca------Chandler

-------Bradley/Beckerman-------

Donovan----Adu/Torres------Shea

---Dempsey-----Altidore---

With Altidore up top and Dempsey a withdrawn forward. This should be able to unlock teams and I think would give Altidore chances to finish. It's risky because up the middle we'd be weak defensively in front of Beckerman or Bradley.

I think that's our strongest team if everyone is playing well.

Not denying the lack of linkage in the final 1/3 is a part of the finishing issues...but so is having a lead striker with a terrible first touch. Jozy is without question the most physically and athletically gifted player on the MNT, but man, if the ball isn't played right to his feet or he doesn't find himself in space he won't be finishing...or even putting one on net.

I also don't think there is any way you leave out Holden if he's well...especially not with Adu or Torres in the middle...I'd rather have Beasley...hell, maybe even Sacha.

Klinsmann needs to move one or two of our mid-fielders to the backline...get them familiar with playing outside back. We've far too many capable mid-fielders and far too few options at the back. I like Dolo, but I'd like him a lot more if he were our 5th or 6th back. Danny Williams, Jermain Jones...someone...add one or two to the pool of Dolo, Lichaj, Goodson, DeMerit and Omar Gonzalez and I think you strengthen your backline considerably (if for no other reason than you no longer have to play Spector, Ream and Orozco)

An interesting read on this subject. This writer views the following as our best lineup, assuming all players are available.

Tim Howard

Steve Cherundolo Oguchi Onyewu Carlos Bocanegra Timmy Chandler

Michael Bradley

Landon Donovan Stuart Holden Brek Shea

Clint Dempsey

Jozy Altidore

Good read. That's basically the lineup I said but swapping Holden for Adu/Torres. Is Holden really that much of a playmaker/#10?

From what I've seen, it looks like Jozy Altidore has really came in to his own in these games, he's not playing recklessly and looks to have matured quite a bit. If only he could play like he's supposed to during the WC.

Using this site, we have well over 20 5* prospects that are 17 and under. Is it safe to say that the US oblierate everyone by atleast 4 goals and win the world cup in 2018/2022 when all these 5* players are 25/29? I think it is definitely a given, clearly all these players are head and shoulders above the rest of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Updates ahead of two friendlies in Europe next week (11/11 France, 11/15 Slovenia)

FC Dallas and U.S. International starlet Brek Shea will remain in Europe following the match with Slovenia to train with my side, Arsenal, for about a month. Arsenal has probably the best youth and development program in England, and I'd say save for Barcelona, the tops in all of Europe. This is a big opportunity for Shea..and I hope he impresses and Aresene Wenger makes a play for Shea to join Arsenal when the transfer window opens in January.

Clint Dempsey continues to be impressive for Fulham with 5 goals and 3 assists as a fixture in the side's top XI in EPL and Europa league competition.

Jozy Altidoe has 7 goals across all competitions for AZ Alkmaar, who presently sit a top the Dutch top league, Eredivisie.

Michael Bradley is a regular in the top XI for Cheivo Verona of Serie A, the Italian top league.

Maurice Edu is still a regular starter for Rangers, the top team in the Scottish Premier League...a team who also presently have Carlos Bocanegra making regular starts on their back-line and Alejandro Bedoya as a sparingly used sub.

Timmy Chandler has started all 11 of Nurenburg's Bundesliga matches.

Gooch Onyewu has made 6 starts, netting one goal across all competitions for Sporting Lisbon, presently 3rd in the top flight Portuguese league.

Very nice to see some of the US top talent performing well in Europe.

Shea's probably not going anywhere until the transfer window next summer. He'll shine in England in the Olympics and next year and that'll drive up the bidding war. He's under lock & key until 2014 with FCD anyways, so it's all about what those bean counters in Frisco feel is the right price for him.

Shea's probably not going anywhere until the transfer window next summer. He'll shine in England in the Olympics and next year and that'll drive up the bidding war. He's under lock & key until 2014 with FCD anyways, so it's all about what those bean counters in Frisco feel is the right price for him.

You're probably right...however as an Arsenal supporter I know two invariable truths about how my side spends money...

1. Pluck young talent from across the globe, slightly over-paying their present market value and develop them into stars. (see Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere)

2. Cheap as hell with established talent.

As such, I'm hopeful Shea will impress and AW will be assertive during the winter window. Otherwise, the scenario you lay out is most likely and my dreams of owning an Arsenal kit with an American's name on the back will have to continue to on hold.

• 2 weeks later...

U.S. finishes 1-1 in their friendlies in Europe...a 1-0 loss to France and a 3-2 win against Slovenia.

I watched most of the U.S./France match...the U.S. looked strong at the back for much of the night, but lacked the ability to possess and certainly to produce anything dangerous in the final third. The French late exploited the space between the back-line and the box though as the U.S. back-line pushed forward in search of an upset goal (Klinnsman was not playing for a draw...I like that) first with a long ball direct from keeper to a threatening position...then the goal from Marseilles striker Loic Remy on a ball he ran in to played over the U.S. back-line.

I did not watch the Slovenia match...but from the reports I've read Klinnsman experimented with a new formation...4-3-1-2 with Altidore and Edson Buddle as dual strikers playing in front of Clint Dempsey as a center forward. The result was a 3 goal out-put, bettering their total of 2 from the last 5 matches. Buddle started the scoring with a great strike from just outside the box, set up by the work of Clint Dempsey...Dempsey then put down a header off a corner (the U.S. apparently looked very dangerous off set pieces...a welcome change)...Jozy confidently buried a penalty in the 43rd minute. The U.S. took a 3-1 lead to the half...they looked less threatening in the second as the midfielders were pressed into defending more as the back-line was not nearly as in sync as the they were against France.

Klinnsman also started Michael Bradley and newly "American" Fabian Johnson on the wings...and both from everything I read were exceptional. Our midfield looks very deep moving forward. Johnson has dual U.S. and German citizenship and opted to play for the U.S. despite a legit shot at working his way on to the German national team. If this duo continues to excel, Brek Shea continues his rise and Edu continues his solid play it will be very interesting to see how Landon Donovan fits.

If anyone did watch please contribute your thoughts...and help me with this...Danny Williams came on for Timothy Chandler in the 82'...did he play left-back? Williams has been inconsistent, but at time has looked the part of an international and with our crowded midfield I've wondered if he could learn and develop as an outside back.

An honest sports question but is barely beating Slovenia in soccer a big deal?

Big deal? Kinda...?

According to the most recent FIFA rankings (October 19) Slovenia is 27th in the world, the U.S. is 34th...and the game was played in Slovenia. So it is by definition an upset.

It's also, and probably more significantly, a confidence building performance in Europe...both the win and the loss. Seeing the offense spark...if only for a half...against Slovenia is encouraging. Seeing the back-line, the glaring weakness under Bradley, perform well against a very dangerous French attack. France is 15th in the FIFA rankings...and considering they're unbeaten in their last 14 matches (both friendlies and Euro Cup qualifiers) including wins over England and Brazil, that rank is bound to continue to rise.

Consider this...the U.S. has home losses to Ecuador (52nd in FIFA rankings) and Costa Rica (62nd) under Klinnsman. This is a big work in progress...but I think this is a successful building block of a trip.

Would have to check the lineup for Slovenia, but this is the same team we had to fight to tie in the 2nd half in last year's World Cup.

Exact same back-line...both goal scorers from the Cup (Birsa and Ljubijankic) played, though Birsa in a reserve role, on at the half.