ECU and UCF to Big East Tomorrow

GreenGuy123

probably not

Agree, at least not immediately. C-USA has indicated that they don't favor adding more Texas teams in their present alignment, and by losing two of their east teams, they will probably try to find replacements in that direction. FIU, MUTS, and WKU come to mind as possibilities.

All of what has happened today is about worst case scenario for UNT. It likely means that someone else in the Belt moves up first.

Yep. Just gotta hope the dominoes somehow start falling back in the right direction. But at this point, all I see happening is some openings in the Belt for 1-AA ("FCS") teams.

Yep. Just gotta hope the dominoes somehow start falling back in the right direction. But at this point, all I see happening is some openings in the Belt for 1-AA ("FCS") teams.

That's not necessary. We can kill the WAC if we had a commissioner with the cajones to make a move.

I really don't care what happens (not true)...I just hope that our leadership, AD, and administration are trying their hardest to put us in the best position possible. I also hope that they are calling the MWC and C-USA, or whoever else, to see where we stand and try and convince some people. If nothing can be done, well then at least we tried. Still have love for the Belt though.

I really hope this does not happen. It would be a very bad situation for North Texas. FIU would get in to keep C-USA in Florida, and WKU would get in to appease Marshall.

How sad would it be to have to watch a start up Sun Belt team, that doesn't even have ten years of history, and a fresh off the boat FCS program, we have never lost to, get the open spots. And, neither of them can draw flys.

If two Belt teams are poached from the east, the Sun Belt will be on shaky ground. I can't think of how this could end well for North Texas.

Personally, I don't think ECU or UCF will get invited to the Big East. Although they have been solid programs, neither would really provide the Big East with the kind of on the field success that is needed to maintain their BCS status. TCU would have delivered that.

Edited by Side Show Joe

i don't see how wku would get an invite...they are terrible at football, yet good at basketball...football drives this stuff...north texas is better than them at football and basketball, although, without the history of basketball.

I really don't care what happens (not true)...I just hope that our leadership, AD, and administration are trying their hardest to put us in the best position possible. I also hope that they are calling the MWC and C-USA, or whoever else, to see where we stand and try and convince some people. If nothing can be done, well then at least we tried. Still have love for the Belt though.

I have zero love for the Sunbelt, sry. I agree with everything else. I also think the Sunbelt is a safe haven at least until/if this supercon. theory comes to fruition which shouldnt happen for a good while. In the mean time we need to hammer some teams in the Belt so we're ready next time realignment comes around.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I really hope this does not happen. It would be a very bad situation for North Texas. FIU would get in to keep C-USA in Florida, and WKU would get in to appease Marshall.

How sad would it be to have to watch a start up Sun Belt team, that doesn't even have ten years of history, and a fresh off the boat FCS program, we have never lost to, get the open spots. And, neither of them can draw flys.

If two Belt teams are poached from the east, the Sun Belt will be on shaky ground. I can't think of how this could end well for North Texas.

Personally, I don't think ECU or UCF will get invited to the Big East. Although they have been solid programs, neither would really provide the Big East with the kind of on the field success that is needed to maintain their BCS status. TCU would have delivered that.

The Big East has already made it clear they are interested and now are resorting to acting on offers rather soon. They most likely WILL get an invitation (UCF and ECU) from the Big East. They at least hold a chance for them to try to maintain their AQ status as opposed to completely dissolving as a football conference (the other alternative).

I have zero love for the Sunbelt, sry. I agree with everything else. I also think the Sunbelt is a safe haven at least until/if this supercon. theory comes to fruition which shouldnt happen for a good while. In the mean time we need to hammer some teams in the Belt so we're ready next time realignment comes around.

IF FIU leaves then the sunbelt is not that stable, and we would be losing a good team on the rise making the little rep we have that much worse. I hope someone is looking out for us.

The more I see this playing out ... the more it seems we will not be a candidate for any expansion.

The only reason I would like to be in CUSA is the regionality ... SMU, Rice, Houston and even Tulsa. If this doesn't happen I'm all for UTSA and TSU coming to the belt to bring some regionality to this conference.

The only schools that I've heard about CUSA needing more eastern teams were East Carolina, Marshall and UCF. Well, ECU and Central Florida will now be gone so the easternmost team (except for Marshall) is UAB. There are no eastern teams left so the conference will have to move west.

The last expansion team was UTEP, a Texas team 600 miles from its nearest conference rival. I've never heard that CUSA would not take another Texas team...at least I've not seen it in print. Someone from the east could have said it but how valid is that? Also, North Texas, even with its crummy facilities and attendance was the other consideration.

No disrespect meant for our conference mates but the teams from CUSA or the MWC would outdraw SBC teams. I wish that we had a couple of years of success but we have to go with what we have. Other than a poor record in football and women's basketball over the last six years, the pieces of the puzzle are in place. Both deficiencies should be corrected soon.

Edited by GrayEagle

The more I see this playing out ... the more it seems we will not be a candidate for any expansion.

The only reason I would like to be in CUSA is the regionality ... SMU, Rice, Houston and even Tulsa. If this doesn't happen I'm all for UTSA and TSU coming to the belt to bring some regionality to this conference.

As long as SMU is in CUSA, we won't be in that conference. It would make no sense for them to add us. We'd have a greater chance of going to the MWC.

• Downvote 2

If two spots open up in CUSA East...

There is always a chance CUSA adds one team to the East (FAU/FIU/Troy/App St), then slides Tulane over and adds one team in the West (UNT/LA Tech/UTSA)

But if I'm the Big 12 I make a play for Louisville & Cincy to fill by spots in the North.