What "Out of Conference" Opponents do we have for next year?

elPRESIDENTE

Those big money games don't bother me, but not having 6 home games a year, especially now that we have such a great stadium would be so disappointing!

We should never have less then 6 home games, we should only schedule home and home arrangements from here on out.

I would like us to follow the Kansas State model - Get "W's" to build the program. Understand the need for the "money" games, but as far as building a following, sometimes they "cost" the school a lot.

I do too, but the problem is that KSU receives Big XII money and we don't.

I do too, but the problem is that KSU receives Big XII money and we don't.

Exactly.

K-State also had the advantage of playing in the Big Eight back when it may have been the premier conference in football. They could schedule three OOC patsies to build confidence when they already had huge opponents that would come to Manhattan every year. If we followed their plan right now, imagine how much griping we would hear when the OOC games were Texas State, SFA, Ball State, and then 9 SBC games. Yeah, we might win 8 or more games, but the attendance at that schedule wouldn't get us enough to cover the bills. Now, if the university wants to do absorb that shortfall because they think it would be a wise investment for the future, I am all for it. But I just don't ever see this university doing that.

• Downvote 1

I have no problem with playing the LSU's of the world...as long as we only play LSU. Not LSU, UT, OU all in one season.

If we have 4 OOC games it should be

1 Money Bag - $$$$, experience for our players on the big stage

2 Cupcake - Schedule Nichols State or the Missouri School of the Blind, I don't care a W is a W

1 "Even" Game - 1 game against a MAC level school. I like the games against the Ohios and Bowling Greens of the world.

Hey Plummer,

So you were able to get out of that gig this weekend or did you talk to some other IU alum? I hope you were able to make the game - great atmosphere for our first win ever!

Steve

Steve,

I had a mother call me last Monday asking me to change the contract of her teens birthday party from Saturday to Friday night instead and I told her:

"No problemo, dear.":rolleyes: (as the pupils in my eyes started changing over to a shade of green. First thing that came to my mind was "YES!, I can actually make my 2'nd game in a row at our fabulous Taj Mahal of a football stadium!"

Sorry I missed not seeing you pre-game, stebo, we really have something to look forward to with Apogee, eh? :thumbsu:

Hope all is well and how bout' that first win over a Big 10 school, right?

GMG!

• Upvote 1

I have no problem with playing the LSU's of the world...as long as we only play LSU. Not LSU, UT, OU all in one season.

If we have 4 OOC games it should be

1 Money Bag - $$$$, experience for our players on the big stage

2 Cupcake - Schedule Nichols State or the Missouri School of the Blind, I don't care a W is a W

1 "Even" Game - 1 game against a MAC level school. I like the games against the Ohios and Bowling Greens of the world.

Make that 1 cupcake and 2 "even" games. And it would be nice if those "even" games were against the MWC or C-USA. No one around here gives a damn about the MAC. That said, I know we'll have to schedule some MAC teams.

We need to cancel the LSU, Texas, and Tennessee games now!

2013 could be our year though depending on who we schedule for the last OOC game. The team that year will be senior heavy. led by Orr, Chancelor and Thompson to name a few.

Those games help support our program, would love to drop them, and I'm sure RV would as well, but unless you have a few million to toss to the AD each year to offset those revenue streams, keep dreaming boss.

Pack the stadium, buy an extra seat, contribute to the MGC, get your friends to come out and maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to ditch body bag games in say 2016 or so.

• 4 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2011 at 9:57 AM, FloMoGrad said:

Those games help support our program, would love to drop them, and I'm sure RV would as well, but unless you have a few million to toss to the AD each year to offset those revenue streams, keep dreaming boss.

Pack the stadium, buy an extra seat, contribute to the MGC, get your friends to come out and maybe, just maybe, we'll be able to ditch body bag games in say 2016 or so.

Went back into the archives on this one...so much gold in this thread. Just in case anyone wonders, our body bag game is still scheduled well into the 2020s, IIRC...

At UNT, the more things stay the same, the less they change...

UNT'd

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Lack of alumni support, lack of season ticket sales and home attendance are still the issues. Winning consistently would solve much of this. 

Amen - I don't think we have had a winning year in both major revenue sports (Men's Football and Basketball) since 1994 -- may be wrong but it certainly has been a long time.  I thought it might be 2013 but Benford was 500% in that season.  Anyhow, I tire at those who claim fans don't have the right to be disappointed and voice their opinion about certain aspects of the program.  We need to win, it's really that simple and we need to win consistently.  I think given the track record it is hard to dissuade someone being skeptical.

I also feel like when there is good news we need to recognize that, ie the Memphis series and the positive signs seen at camp Littrell. If you don't give credit to the positive things you lose a certain amount of credibility in my book.  GMG

Not a lot of positives the last 2 years. Littrell is still unproven, as is a 1-11 team practicing against itself. Memphis locks the schedule further and will mean a real college AD that (hopefully) follows RV in the next year or 2 doesn't get the opportunity to improve what the Hattiesburg Hustler has neglected for years.

My tune will change when things at UNT change. RV still here. Benford still here. Sadly, don't see this happening anytime soon.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Amen - I don't think we have had a winning year in both major revenue sports (Men's Football and Basketball) since 1994 -- may be wrong but it certainly has been a long time.  I thought it might be 2013 but Benford was 500% in that season.  Anyhow, I tire at those who claim fans don't have the right to be disappointed and voice their opinion about certain aspects of the program.  We need to win, it's really that simple and we need to win consistently.  I think given the track record it is hard to dissuade someone being skeptical.

I also feel like when there is good news we need to recognize that, ie the Memphis series and the positive signs seen at camp Littrell. If you don't give credit to the positive things you lose a certain amount of credibility in my book.  GMG

Absolutely. I applaud the Memphis series. I think it makes sense. It is improvement. The length of the SMU and Army series really strap you from other series when you choose the bodybag/FCS games. I do wonder if the powers that be at UNT know that SMU will be buying out this series very soon, meaning we need to get some stuff scheduled now.

The problem with apathy is that small amounts of winning doesn't move the needle at all with fans that you are trying to get. And winning consistently is something you have to be committed to at the top, both in funding and in results (i.e. firing people when they have proven they can't get the job done). I have said this many times, but RV is a symptom, not the problem. He represents the interests of the BOR and the UNT 17. Firing RV would be a great start, but the BOR has sold the athletic department to these donors and aren't gonna rock that boat for fear of losing that cash.

Until the BOR and administration change course, the rest of this is completely moot, including RV as the AD. But this people like their jobs--trying to promote winning in revenue sports as a top priority to the UNT Family is a fine way to see that job security vanish quickly with the way that the overwhelming number of alumni, students, faculty, and Denton citizenry feel about our teams. Just check at UNT's facebook page when anything regarding football comes up--there might be a lone voice in the wilderness sticking up for it, while he is basically surrounded by a pack of hungry wolves that are angry as hell about us even having a team.

It is what it is.

39 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

$100 says you will do nothing.

Always.

I suppose a hungry child is doing "something" by crying...but even that child has the sense to cry to their parents, as in, the people who could actually address the situation rather than just a room full of strangers. 

• Upvote 5

Just now, Censored by Laurie said:

I suppose a hungry child is doing "something" by crying...but even that child has the sense to cry to their parents, as in, the people who could actually address the situation rather than just a room full of strangers. 

You don't know who I "cry" to, my friend. 

• Downvote 4

1 minute ago, Censored by Laurie said:

fixed. let's never make that mistake again. 

No problem. Does this mean you are going to challenge me to a cage match in Apogee parking lot a la mean greener? Will I have to fight the whole hippy compound? Or just you? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3