Lack of Green Brigade Unis

JRock

I don't think I fully appreciated their halftime show when sitting on the student side (recent grad, first time sitting on alumni side last night). While I think they need more variety for in-game music, the halftime performance was awesome. My brother (UT tshirt alum 04-present) wouldn't stop talking about how impressed he was. He was blown away by everything yesterday and can't wait to come back again.

He bought a UNT shirt and hat last night too, our tshirt alumni base grew by one yesterday.

• Upvote 2

I thought the band sounded great last night. I can understand them not wearing their full uniforms due to the heat. they could lose the black socks though.

That has to do with marching and drill. If you wear white socks and shoes, then it's really easy to tell when people are out of step or slightly out of alignment (if you're way out, nothing can save you). A lot of bands wear black to make it a little less obvious. Once they wear their full uniforms, you won't notice the socks at all.

I thought the band did a fantastic job on their halftime performance last night. They weren't as loud in the stands as I expected them to be (we were sitting nearly across from them), but I think that might be attributed to overall crowd noise. I had a former Clemson alum and band member with us, and he was absolutely blown away by their sound. He bought a NT hat and shirt last night, and his 7th grade son said it was the "best Saturday of his life". They're now talking about getting tickets for more games this year.

• Upvote 3

He bought a UNT shirt and hat last night too, our tshirt alumni base grew by one yesterday.

I brought a friend who's an actual UT alum yesterday who had come with me to the Rice game last year. He wore green and white, and kept referring to North Texas as "we" throughout the game. Very complimentary of our setup and the experience.

I told him I'd have no trouble returning the favor if he wanted to go to UT/OU, and he said that he's not paying $300 for a ticket. :lol:

I guess I'm the minority...I understand it's hot but it was the first game at the new stadium and they looked pretty crappy in the unmatching khakis. I think they should have had uniforms on at least for the halftime show. Had a gentleman sitting next to me who graduated in 67' and he shared my disappointment with the attire.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I guess I'm the minority...I understand it's hot but it was the first game at the new stadium and they looked pretty crappy in the unmatching khakis. I think they should have had uniforms on at least for the halftime show. Had a gentleman sitting next to me who graduated in 67' and he shared my disappointment with the attire.

Indeed.

JRock

• Upvote 1

I brought a friend who's an actual UT alum yesterday who had come with me to the Rice game last year. He wore green and white, and kept referring to North Texas as "we" throughout the game. Very complimentary of our setup and the experience.

I told him I'd have no trouble returning the favor if he wanted to go to UT/OU, and he said that he's not paying $300 for a ticket. :lol:

I think with a new stadium and a competitive team, we could win over alot of fans of larger programs just for the sole reason that our games are actually affordable. Can you get a season ticket on the 50 in Austin, College Station, or Norman for $150?

I was sitting next to a Band parent last night and they told me that the band didn't have enough uniforms for all members yet. They are getting more, just not in time for this game.

Maybe we need to get our band uniforms from Allen High's provider. :lol:

I think with a new stadium and a competitive team, we could win over alot of fans of larger programs just for the sole reason that our games are actually affordable. Can you get a season ticket on the 50 in Austin, College Station, or Norman for $150?

Season tickets on the 50 are $275 at the least, $650 at most (not counting club).

I laugh about this de javu thread too. But how crazy was it that Houston didn't bring their band, cheerleaders and mascot. I guess they thought they were playing North of Texas.

With that said that ladies and gentlemen is why I hope we can somehow land in a conference with some Texas teams. How great would it be to have 3k - 4k visiting fans each and every game sprinkled throughout the palace. Now I won't say no to the Mountain West, but if we can start playing more Texas foes in the future I think we will all benefit from the great exposure. Yes that includes the Bobcats and the Roadkills from down south.

GMG

Indeed.

JRock

I'm confused. I thought you requested us to focus on the positive and quit the negativity! Are we allowed to resume our negative ways?

I have been a critic of the band primarily due to the fact they don't do things like in the old days! I'm getting old and this is what we like to do.

So, here are a few positives:

1. Good for them for not wearing their uniforms in the summer heat. In the "old days" we wore suits with an overlay on top of that. Think how comfortable you would be at the game in a heavy wool suit with a vinyl topcoat. While on that subject, if the decision was up to me, I would order one of every shade of green on the Pantone scale, that way, we would be sure to have at least one hue of whatever green the team is wearing.

2. In a previous thread, I read that the students had to provide their own shorts. Thank you for doing this.

3. Thank you for giving up your summer break and coming to campus early.

4. Thank you for practicing many hours a week in the hot sun for your one credit hour.

5. Thank you to the director for putting a band of over 300 on the field. The logistics involved in this are tremendous. He is paid much less than half of the least well paid member of the football staff and he has no other full time staff to help him.

6. And congratulations for being named the top college band in the country. Even though it was from the Bleacher Report, there are 119 other D1A schools that would have loved to have that publicity.

• Upvote 1