Realignment on MWC's Tuesday Agenda

UNTflyer

The Mountain West could make an attempt to lure some or all of the remaining [big 12] schools — programs like Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas State. Or those schools, perhaps with Missouri and Kansas, could attempt to rebuild the Big 12 by poaching teams from the Mountain West.

Read more: http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/09/04/bmurphy/mountain_west_keeping_eye_conference_realignment#ixzz1X39OFmB9

As far as doing anything it's too early; even if you knew that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were to bolt for the Pac12. Were that to happen, Missouri and Kansas become the next prominent players. If the Big 12 continues to exist I believe that it would need a minimum of five to keep the league active. Any less and the MWC controls.

This should be off-season stuff but it's gathering as much limelight as the season itself.

The wild cards here will be Iowa State and Kansas State. I think Kansas will be picked up by the ACC or Big East instantly and I think Missouri will have their spot ready in the SEC or Big Ten.

Iowa State you would think would be a candidate for the Big Ten just by geography and Iowa already there but Iowa may not want them in the same conference and/or Big Ten may have better options.

Kansas State overall has a good football and basketball program but they're not world beaters and I think any conference would prefer KU over KSU if they had to pick one. I could see the MWC gobbling up ISU, KSU, and Baylor. That would be one very good conference.

Texas has a Longhorn Network problem. Pac-12 would require them to share equally, same as SEC and Big Ten.

My guess is, because Texas is a selfish program, they will attempt to cobble together some sort of Big 12 with the remnant of the old Big 12. They need enough schools that don't mind being pushed around by them.

I just don't see Texas getting a Pac-12 invite because they'll be outvoted; which, they in no way want. Having seen their SWC and Big 12 shenanigans, the old guard of the Pac-8/10, will not allow Texas to just come in and ruin their conference as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1