Thoughts on UNT joining the Big 12...

NCMeanGreen

I don't think that they'll ever come calling on us but I do believe that we may apply in the future. We just aren't ready now. It would be too much, too soon.

But before bashing the idea to smithereens consider some of our positives:

1. A fairly central location within the footprint of the conference

2. The largest number of alumni in the largest market

3. Twenty miles from the third busiest airport

4. The 33rd largest American university

5. Now, among the better football and basketball facilities in college athletics (albeit small)

6. Larger stadiums nearby to accommodate crowds up to 90,000

7. A new, football staff with appearances at 80 bowl games and 5 NCAA championships between them

8. A university that offers more than 200 bachelors, masters and doctorate degree plans.

9. An athletic budget expected to approach $25 million dollars this year.

10. A president and a consultant that knows their way around the NCAA

11. Five straight 20-win seasons in basketball with two NCAA tournament appearances

12. A highly rated basketball recruiting and a transfer in rated #12

13. Top 100 men's golf, women's golf, women's tennis, and women's soccer teams

Of course, you can't quantify the tremendous improvement in enthusiasm among students, alumni and football fans from other universities that are now expressing interest in the Mean Green.

There are certainly areas where we need to improve. We need to improve our attendance to 25-30,000 where we can comfortably expand Apogee Stadium to 50,000. We need a conference with greater average attendance to make that happen. We need to add baseball and become competitive in it. We need to WIN football games in the numbers that we enjoyed in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. We need to keep the momentum of this year going. We need time or for a conference to have a great leap of faith.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I don't think that they'll ever come calling on us but I do believe that we may apply in the future. We just aren't ready now. It would be too much, too soon.

But before bashing the idea to smithereens consider some of our positives:

1. A fairly central location within the footprint of the conference

2. The largest number of alumni in the largest market

3. Twenty miles from the third busiest airport

4. The 33rd largest American university

5. Now, among the better football and basketball facilities in college athletics (albeit small)

6. Larger stadiums nearby to accommodate crowds up to 90,000

7. A new, football staff with appearances at 80 bowl games and 5 NCAA championships between them

8. A university that offers more than 200 bachelors, masters and doctorate degree plans.

9. An athletic budget expected to approach $25 million dollars this year.

10. A president and a consultant that knows their way around the NCAA

11. Five straight 20-win seasons in basketball with two NCAA tournament appearances

12. A highly rated basketball recruiting and a transfer in rated #12

13. Top 100 men's golf, women's golf, women's tennis, and women's soccer teams

Of course, you can't quantify the tremendous improvement in enthusiasm among students, alumni and football fans from other universities that are now expressing interest in the Mean Green.

There are certainly areas where we need to improve. We need to improve our attendance to 25-30,000 where we can comfortably expand Apogee Stadium to 50,000. We need a conference with greater average attendance to make that happen. We need to add baseball and become competitive in it. We need to WIN football games in the numbers that we enjoyed in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. We need to keep the momentum of this year going. We need time or for a conference to have a great leap of faith.

All these are compelling arguments for the MWC, not the Big 12.

No, baseball program. A football program that hasn't won in years and doesn't average 20K at home. A football venue that only holds 30K. All reasons why the Big 12 would laugh in our faces if we went a callin.

Lot's of great things happening for UNT lately, but let's try not to sound like UTSA.

• Upvote 1

All these are compelling arguments for the MWC, not the Big 12.

No, baseball program. A football program that hasn't won in years and doesn't average 20K at home. A football venue that only holds 30K. All reasons why the Big 12 would laugh in our faces if we went a callin.

Lot's of great things happening for UNT lately, but let's try not to sound like UTSA.

Considering that the Big 12, because of their television contracts, are so desperate that they are floating Houston as A&M's replacement, these are compelling arguments.

• Upvote 1

Please stop turning this board and article comments seen on the web into some type of UTSA-like chatter. Anyone who thinks we currently have a dogs chance in Hades of getting into the Big 12 right now is not in touch with reality. Our only concern is attending games, giving back to the school and the AD, wearing as much UNT garb as your loved one can take...and most especially cheering your mother-lovin vocal chords out during UNT games.

That is all.

Considering that the Big 12, because of their television contracts, are so desperate that they are floating Houston as A&M's replacement, these are compelling arguments.

Has there been any credible source at all that has said the Big 12 is looking at Houston?

Seems to me this is more message board speculation than anything else. After all, if message boards were right, we would be playing in Coca-Cola stadium or Southwest Airlines Stadium, not Apogee Stadium.

Maybe I missed this credible source (completely possible). Do you have one?

• Upvote 1

Has there been any credible source at all that has said the Big 12 is looking at Houston?

Seems to me this is more message board speculation than anything else. After all, if message boards were right, we would be playing in Coca-Cola stadium or Southwest Airlines Stadium, not Apogee Stadium.

Maybe I missed this credible source (completely possible). Do you have one?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7696440.html

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Houston_could_be_big_part_of_Big_12s_future/13-12202

http://blog.chron.com/cougars/2011/08/uh-at-reliant-and-toyota-center-for-big-12-and-president-khator-tweets/

DUDE! Yes, you deserve a capitalized dude for these links.

You give me 2 bloggers who are UH fans and one columnist who cites "sources" with nothing behind it. Not "a Big 12 source", not "a source within the UT administration", nothing. Just "sources". Who knows, maybe you were his source?

Below is a direct quote from one of the links you gave me:

"Let's be clear about one thing, and this will draw laughs in Norman and Lubbock because they don't know what we know. UH deserves to be in the Big 12.

Is it a leap of faith? Sure, it is. But the upside is far too great to be ignored. UH is a sleeping giant. The University of Houston that was dumped after the breakup of the Southwest Conference 16 years ago is not the UH of today."

Seriously? Just replace UH with North Texas and that could be a lot of people who post on this board.

Edited by UNT90

So, the link with the President of UH's tweet mean nothing. Or, all of the reports from the Houston Chronicle...and other papers in various states.

Do you need a personal phone call from DeLoss Dodds.

Houston is one of the schools being floated to replace Texas A&M. You will keep hearing it because it's already been all over the news for about 72 hours. It will continue to be in the news as the A&M saga continues throughout the season.

It was me who pissed in UNT90's Cheerios, just in case anyone was wondering.

Cheerios suck, Special K for me.

Not being negative, but I think a couple of you have yet to come down from the Apogee induced high of Friday.

We are a great sell to the MWC at this point. Let's keep it realistic.

So, the link with the President of UH's tweet mean nothing. Or, all of the reports from the Houston Chronicle...and other papers in various states.

Do you need a personal phone call from DeLoss Dodds.

Houston is one of the schools being floated to replace Texas A&M. You will keep hearing it because it's already been all over the news for about 72 hours. It will continue to be in the news as the A&M saga continues throughout the season.

The only thing the UH President said is poeple were calling him offering him advice on the athletic department. Can you say boosters callin telling him they want in the Big 12? Means absolutely nothing.

And again, the bloggers and writers who report on UH athletics offer up UH to the Big 12 and have nothing to back it up. No sources. It's just something they want to see happen, much like this thread wants to see UNT to the Big 12.

Ask yourself this. How come no one except people on this board are offering up UNT as a replacement?

UNT's best and most realistic option is the MWC. CUSA is great but a bunch of SWC has beens and other average schools that happen to be a little bit closer doesn't excite me one bit. The MWC is the best non bcs conference so what is what we need to shoot for.

Edited by Green Mean

Mostly what's being said is we're as good of an option or better for the B12 as Houston or SMU.

By the delusional. Let's get 4 or 5 10-win seasons and at least two high profile bowl victories... then maybe people will raise an eyebrow.

Edited by UNTflyer

We are a great sell to the MWC at this point. Let's keep it realistic.

How many threads the past week has this board seen regarding A&M/SEC/BIG12 rumors, and you're asking people in these woods to keep it realistic?

I, on the other hand, am awaiting the awesomeness of reading a UNT-to-SEC discussion.

• Upvote 2

There is no way in hell they come calling on us. We've come a long way, but we we still have a long way to go. These Big 12 delusions are embarassing.

You know, just ten years ago if someone suggested that the students at North Texas would vote for a $10 per semester hour athletic fee, they would have called that person seriously delusional.

We do need to make more improvements, but it's not delusional to think that we are deserving of membership in the B-12.

• Downvote 1