2011 UNT Kickoff Cookout Thoughts

Harry

I brought my son, daughter and friend to the event and I knew it was going to be special when I encountered traffic on Bonnie Brae. I expected there to be some people there but wow, the dirt parking lot across from the athletic center was already filling up and I was 5 minutes early!

I just can't convey the pride I felt walking into our new palace. My kids were blown away having had Fouts as the measuring stick. My son commented, "wow dad this is as nice as Cowboy stadium" which I found ironic given the fact that HKS developed both.

Anyway, here are a couple of impressions that I had from the day:

- The Wing has really grown on me. I just had to get up there and experience it for myself and there were many others who did as well. The view is tremendous and there are three seats together at the very northwest corner that I think will be scooped up fast if not already. If you have a fear of heights beware. Also, I will say if you are looking to get in shape those seats will be a good tool to do it with, I was pretty winded getting up there. It is without a doubt unique and will be something that I think fans will enjoy for many years to come.

- There is not a bad seat in the entire stadium, part of this is due to the fact that unlike Fouts you are looking down from a vertical perspective. I went to several sections of the stadium and thought to myself any one of them would be a winner for me. I think the biggest value ticket may be the seats in the north endzone. Even though you have the endzone, it is the closest to the field, and I think it will be very loud down there.

- I took the club section tour...all I can say is wow. It is very spacious and very nice. There is a cool bar which has a neon green light overt he top of it, a big ball room area that has a big football field on the wall that will mark the ball during games. Lots of windows, great views. The seats themselves are very comfortable and spacious. The pressbox section is high enough that you won't get a drop of sun by gametime and I actually felt a very nice breeze blowing through. I think anyone who visits this section will be very impressed and I would put it up against many stadiums throughout the country in terms of layout and style. RV said that they would be sold out by the time the season started (which is great) and I think they sold quite a few today.

- RV and McCarney spoke and it was very motivating. Mac is such a sincere and enthusiastic speaker. I could listen to the man all day long and would be asking for more. He spoke to the fact that they have the number 109 in the locker room. this was to signify the fact that the preseason magazines had us slated to be 109th in the country this season. He commented that we had a long way to go but wouldn't it be nice to finish better than that and as he said "stick it where the sun don't shine" of the prognosticators! The fight song was sung and played and Mac said that if our team had the heart and passion displayed by the female participants in the Football 101 event which took place earlier we would go far. My only issue was it would have been nice if they had announced over the PA system that they were speaking and where because there were a lot of fans who missed that. In hindsight they may not have had enough room in the section under the bleachers to have everyone there.

- I went down on the field and let me say that is the softest turf I have ever stepped on. The replacement turf at Fouts wasn't bad but this is clearly an improvement. The views from the field level are amazing...you really get the magnitude of the size of the stadium from down there. The scoreboard is huge and appears to have great clarity although they did not run any video or use the sound system.

- Quick tailgating note -- it appears to me that there will be a lot of good spots in the treed area over between the stadium and the old Raddison hotel area. If you can get there early enough to mark off a good sized tree or two you will have protection from the sun and a great tailgating location. There appears to be a drop off point for grills etc as you head into the Victory lot but in my mind that section over there offers the top tailgating spots. I also would like to see them consider cementing that dirt lot across from the AC. It seems like we are always needing to park there and using it today it is getting pretty dinged up and there were some nice sized potholes. It would provide additional room for AC events and could also be used as a revenue source for game day.

- Having followed the program for awhile, I had flashes of past New Orleans bowls. What I mean is there were a lot of unfamiliar (but welcomed) faces in the crowd. This is a great sign. I think a lot of it pertains to what someone mentioned earlier there is a pride about this facility that is bringing UNT alums and fans who haven't been in the mix back or in for the first time. It was great to see some old familiar faces too as I was able to run into Mean Rob, Firefightn Rick, Adler, Stebo, Hunter Green, and many others who have been around through the lean years. You got a feeling of, "Wow, we finally made it.." since for many of us the stadium was just a dream and we often wondered if it would ever happen.

- Kudos to the athletic department for throwing a good party. I saw them out there working and selling and smiling...I can't emphasize enough what a GREAT selling opportunity this was. In fact, I might suggest they do this again closer to the season for those who couldn't make it. When you get people in that stadium it truly sells itself. Yes there were some lines in the spirit shop and concessions but they weren't too bad. The hot dogs were good and it was a nice touch for them to serve beer and wine.

So a great day for North Texas it was. I was so glad to have participated in it and frankly would have been fine hanging out there for hours. The next step will be viewing the stadium with a bunch of fans in it...I can't wait to see what it looks like full! Also can't wait to be in there with the lights! GMG!

gallery_1_24_310502.jpg

gallery_1_24_46165.jpg

gallery_1_24_246510.jpg

gallery_1_24_276585.jpg

gallery_1_24_36341.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

I asked RV (and a couple coaches) about uniforms at the ladies clinic, but they are being very tight-lipped. RV said "soon.".

GMG!

• Upvote 1

Cannot express how proud I was last evening walking around that stadium with 2000 other Mean green fans. I saw lots of people buying season tickets as well when i visited the Fan Shop and bought my first Nike Mean Green polo.

I found it interesting that RV mentioned that Purdue was expecting 1400 at their Kickoff event and the Mean green had 2000+. Purdue..Big 10...yes, folks, great things are beginning to happen at UNT. Hey, the hot dogs were good and the beer was cold! My rear end fit very well in my seat and the view is absolutely fantastic!

A great day for the Mean green nation...harry, thanks for the great write-up!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

Harry, great post and thanks for the review. I wanted to go so badly but had prior commitments. My wife did go to the Ladies Clinic and had a blast. She's a sports nerd (like me) so she soaked it all up.

I was down in Keller and had several conversations with people about the stadium. The cool thing was is that they brought it up. I simply mentioned that I was ready for college football and several said, "Ya, I really want to see that new stadium up in Denton." They didn't even know I was a UNT alum so that made me feel really excited. GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by T-Rock
  • Upvote 2

Harry, great post and thanks for the review. I wanted to go so badly but had prior commitments. My wife did go to the Ladies Clinic and had a blast. She's a sports nerd (like me) so she soaked it all up.

I was down in Keller and had several conversations with people about the stadium. The cool thing was is that they brought it up. I simply mentioned that I was ready for college football and several said, "Ya, I really want to see that new stadium up in Denton." They didn't even know I was a UNT alum so that made me feel really excited. GO MEAN GREEN

Very cool!

• Upvote 1

The biggest impression I took was the amount of season tickets that hav already been sold. For those of you who were not there, the AD had unsold sears marked with a piece of 8"x11" paper advertsing the seat. From the top corner of the wingzone, you could look into the alumni seating area and see that almost the entire alumni side is sold out. Well over 90 percent, I would guess. Over 70 percent of the family 4 pack area was also sold. All suites aresold and 600 of the 750 club seats are gone.

I post this for 2 reasons: 1) Whatever issues you have with the AD, they have done a fantastic job selling this program and stadium. 2) if you have not bought your season tickets, you better get your rear in gear, they are going fast.

• Upvote 2

The biggest impression I took was the amount of season tickets that hav already been sold. For those of you who were not there, the AD had unsold sears marked with a piece of 8"x11" paper advertsing the seat. From the top corner of the wingzone, you could look into the alumni seating area and see that almost the entire alumni side is sold out. Well over 90 percent, I would guess. Over 70 percent of the family 4 pack area was also sold. All suites aresold and 600 of the 750 club seats are gone.

I post this for 2 reasons: 1) Whatever issues you have with the AD, they have done a fantastic job selling this program and stadium. 2) if you have not bought your season tickets, you better get your rear in gear, they are going fast.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that just because most seats didn't have 8 1/2" x 11" sheets of paper on them that they're sold. I'm sure there's plenty more seats available.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that just because most seats didn't have 8 1/2" x 11" sheets of paper on them that they're sold. I'm sure there's plenty more seats available.

Not jumping to anything. I thought maybe it was a marketing ploy, so I asked AD staff if that many season tickets had really been sold. Was told yes, and that season ticket sales are up 60 percent from last year.

• Upvote 1

Not jumping to anything. I thought maybe it was a marketing ploy, so I asked AD staff if that many season tickets had really been sold. Was told yes, and that season ticket sales are up 60 percent from last year.

I believe being up 60% from last year. I just don't believe that being up 60% from last year equals almost the entire alumni side being sold out with season tickets. The last number I saw was last month someone said we were a little over 2k season tickets sold.

In fact, my group bought their season tickets yesterday and they apparently had options.

• Upvote 1

Like many have stated, The stadium is more impressive in person than camera or video. I personally had never liked the wings from drawings or pictures. I also didn't like the 2 buildings under the wings. From the parking lot and closer, both are a nice piece of architecture.

I took a seat midway up the row on the 30 yard line and sat there for at least 15 minutes. I could not believe I was sitting in our stadium. I've been to Ford Stadium a few times and always thought it was the premier mid-major stadium. We're better!

The great thing about the village is that there is so much more to come on line down the road. Great job RV!

• Upvote 2

I believe being up 60% from last year. I just don't believe that being up 60% from last year equals almost the entire alumni side being sold out with season tickets. The last number I saw was last month someone said we were a little over 2k season tickets sold.

In fact, my group bought their season tickets yesterday and they apparently had options.

This. I switched my seats yesterday and got a look at sections on their computer screen. Tons of open seats. The paper tags on the "available seats" was purely a marketing ploy to create a sense of urgency.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

The Kickoff was fantastic. At 7PM, when it ended, there was still several hundred people there. It was exciting. Great facility. I bought 6 season tickets and had limited options...which is a good thing. Many season tickets were being fought for and sold. Great time, indeed.

• Upvote 2

Like Cooley posted earlier, I too, just sat in my seats looking at the kids playing in the turf. It was hard to believe I was at NT. This place is like that really great place you've visited in the past. The difference of course is that I was at MY home stadium.

There were so many people there yesterday, we had to wait in line to get in the elevators. And once I got up to the Club Level, I was reluctant to wait in line to go back down. Thereby, I didn't get to hear Coach Mac or Rick V. But I did hear the cheers that came up from those that were able to hear the speeches. If I could critize anything about yesterday, it would be that the speeches be broadcast on the PA system. And perhaps show the speech on the Mean Green-a-tron.

A great day. I took 3 guests and they were all astounded. "I had no idea that North Texas had anything like this."

Great job Rick V. You've really given us something to be proud of.

Now Coach Mac, it's your turn.

If you haven't,

Make a contribution to the Mean Green Club

Make a contribution to the new stadium fund

Buy season tickets

and of course,

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 2

Like Cooley posted earlier, I too, just sat in my seats looking at the kids playing in the turf. It was hard to believe I was at NT. This place is like that really great place you've visited in the past. The difference of course is that I was at MY home stadium.

There were so many people there yesterday, we had to wait in line to get in the elevators. And once I got up to the Club Level, I was reluctant to wait in line to go back down. Thereby, I didn't get to hear Coach Mac or Rick V. But I did hear the cheers that came up from those that were able to hear the speeches. If I could critize anything about yesterday, it would be that the speeches be broadcast on the PA system. And perhaps show the speech on the Mean Green-a-tron.

A great day. I took 3 guests and they were all astounded. "I had no idea that North Texas had anything like this."

Great job Rick V. You've really given us something to be proud of.

Now Coach Mac, it's your turn.

If you haven't,

Make a contribution to the Mean Green Club

Make a contribution to the new stadium fund

Buy season tickets

and of course,

GO MEAN GREEN

Agree with what you said, but heard that the sound system wasn't ready and they hadn't done testing. The impatient fan in me is glad they didn't wait on it to have the event even though it would have been easier to hear the speech.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What a great night for the Mean Green fans! The stadium is just a fantastic place and so impressive to walk around. Here is some of what I noticed....

-Pretty good hot dogs....That might be a sign that the food in the stadium will be much improved!

-The leg room for the Club Level seats for people with long legs is so much better than Fouts Field.

-How cold the air conditioning felt in the Club Lounge.

-How much of a cool breeze I felt sitting in the shade in the stands when you consider it was 100 degrees at the time.

-The Houston and Indiana players are really going to feel the hot Texas September sun bearing down on them on the sidelines for most of the first half!

-I believe I have now heard Coach Mac talk about 10 times and every time he gets me fired up for the Mean Green.....Just think how much he will fire up the team during pregame, halftime and timeout talks.

I can't wait to hear Public Address Announcer Tim Crouch at about 5:50 PM on September 10 yell out as the team comes out on the field, "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere Come The Mean Green!!!!!

WHY NOT NORTH TEXAS!

• Upvote 4

What a great night for the Mean Green fans! The stadium is just a fantastic place and so impressive to walk around.

I can't wait to hear Public Address Announcer Tim Crouch at about 5:50 PM on September 10 yell out as the team comes out on the field, "Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere Come The Mean Green!!!!!

WHY NOT NORTH TEXAS!

THIS!!!! +1 for you, Sir. I am right there with you......Heeeeeeeeeeeeeere Come The Meamn Green!!!!!!

WHY NOT NORTH TEXAS INDEED!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2