Texas Football

Marty

DCTF is out, got mine yesteday at Kroger's in Frisco. IMO, Vito gives a fair, balanced assesment of the program and where it's headed. A feature on Darius Carey and a positive review of our recruiting by Randy Rodgers also.

DCTF is out, got mine yesteday at Kroger's in Frisco. IMO, Vito gives a fair, balanced assesment of the program and where it's headed. A feature on Darius Carey and a positive review of our recruiting by Randy Rodgers also.

Good find. I'm going to pick up a copy when I get back in town.

They predict each college teams record for this season. They predict 3-9 for us....and 11-1 for Houston.

I guess that one loss for Houston comes on Sept. 10th.

GO MEAN GREEN!

No way UNT goes 3-9. Much better record for the Mean Green this year!

Why Not North Texas!!!!!

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 2

I don't see 3-9. Last year we barely lost multiple games with our entire team banged up. Look for Mac to close these games out with a W in 2011!

I liked TFLF's prediction. Plus or minus one win due to our inexperience on some parts of the o and d.

Edited by Green2012
  • Upvote 2

I forgot to ask. Did you see any advertisements for the North Texas football program and stadium?

There's a "Rub Some Green On It" ad with the schedule on page 145. I was disappointed as well with the 3-9 prediction.

• Upvote 1

There's a "Rub Some Green On It" ad with the schedule on page 145. I was disappointed as well with the 3-9 prediction.

We won 3 games last year and lost our starting QB and d-tackles. We will start a QB with no D-I experience. How exactly can that prediction be disappointing to you?

We won 3 games last year and lost our starting QB and d-tackles. We will start a QB with no D-I experience. How exactly can that prediction be disappointing to you?

No significant experience. He did lead an impressive drive against ASU a couple years ago, correct? If not anything else, that should have done something for his confidence. I can't remember how well he did in his limited action against Army last year.

I usually agree with Vito on most topics, but I think he's dead wrong on his 3-9 prediction. I haven't read his reasons for the pick in awhile, but I seem to recall that he thinks the loss of a few starters on the o-line, lack of seasoned QB and no Craig Robertson will be too much to overcome.

Yes, Derek doesn't have a lot of playing time under his belt, but I think he's shown enough to make us believe he can be a successful QB in the Sun Belt. We did lose some starters from the o-line, but since there were so many injuries everyone starting this year got quality playing time.

With the coaching staff we have in place I'm positive we'll win more than 3 games.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 1

I think with the experienced college coaching staff that we have now, we should win at least 5 games.

• Upvote 1

I think 3-9 or 4-8 seems very reasonable for this first season, if for no other reason than the lines are not where Coach Mac wants them to be, not even mentioning the QB position is up for grabs. I see wins at home against WKU and FAU and at least one win on the road at either Arkansas State or ULL. The home games against Indiana and ULM are both possibilities for a win, too. I don't see us winning at FIU, Tulsa, or Troy, nor do I see us winning against UH or MUTS here (even though we beat them on the road last year). Our bank account will win at Bama. Best case, to me, is 6-6, worst case is 1-11 (so glad WKU is in the SBC).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I haven't read it, but in addition to the things you stated, we will have 2 new DTs, 2 new LBs, and no really proven WR outside of Carey (Outlaw and Stradford have 1 year starting experience, but with limited resutls, and a whole lot of questions behind them).

I am leaning toward a 4-5 win prediction, but 3-9 is just as likely as 6-6 if we are honest with ourselves.

No other teams have holes to fill? NT lost both starting tackles but has some experience with Cantly, Abbe, McCoy and White. Orr was already ahead of Pinson by end of year and Phillips returns. With Herron, Wright, Johnson, January and Stojkovik, lb should be deeper than last year, although Robertson will certainly be missed. Wrs should be stronger in my opinion also, with Stradford, Outlaw and Bynes all having started before as well as Carey. Johnson, Taylor and Olawale also have experience.

Most of the prognosticators look at past records and some obvious personnel losses and assume no improvement. Thompson should be a heck of a qb and if he stays healthy, the position should be in much better shape than then last year injury filled campaign. Also returning are several players that would have started last year if not injured; Bynes, Johnson, and Ford with several others that should help.

I am not predicting NT to win the conference, but they were very competitive last year and this team should be significantly better. I think the defense is going to be much better and the offense should be also if Thompson matures into the position. This team is not the most talented in the Belt, but neither are they at the bottom. I think the new coaching staff and stadium will benefit the win and loss column. I am going to state the obvious, the Belt is not all that good no matter how much one thinks it has improved. ULM, ASU, MTSU, Troy, etc unless they improve substantially are not unbeatable.

• Upvote 3

The bar in the Sun Belt isn't high. We came pretty close to breaking even last year with a banged up squad...so that was basically playing with inexperienced guys.

Tulsa is overhyped.

The coaching staff is simply stacked with guys who know the game. Other SBC schools have hired what I consider to be high risk coaches, none well known or known to build FBS-level programs.

Look regionally, UT and OU coming off losing seasons hired Mack Brown and Bob Stoops respectively in 1998 and 1999. They both won in their first seasons with tougher schedules.

We've got a coach who's been up there, and who has been up there his whole career. It's been all BCS, FBS, Division I-A, whatever you want to call it for Dan McCarney.

You've got the architect of the Kansas defense under Mangino in Bowen. You've got a guy whose special teams work helped Colorado and Boise State to annual bowl games in Riddle.

Look...the pieces are here on the coaching side. Even if we lose to FUI and Houston to open the season, their players won't be running back to the sidelines like OU's players were saying, "Coach, coach! They're not even trying to disguise their coverages!"

On the defensive side of the ball, Dodge tried to man up on OU all night. McCarney, Bowen, and Riddle aren't that stupid (yes, I know Dodge eventually progressed, but that night was stupid). Anyone who beats us this year is going to be in a dog fight for 60 minutes.

I agree that having McCarney, Bowen, Riddle, etc. on board is good for at least five wins. The Tulsa game is pivotal. We'll both have been through tough early stretches. They'll be loaded with returning starters on both sides of the ball; we'll have the better coaching staff. The theories of those of us who say coaching makes a huge difference at this level will leave theory and be put into raw practice that night.

We will not be plundered in 2011 like we have been since 2005 under Dickey and Dodge. This is real. Many of us have never seen real. Those who saw Hayden Fry teams of the 70 and the late 60s Mitchell/Rust teams saw what competent coaching can do.

Also, throw Corky Nelson into the mix for beat Texas Tech, Texas, and Rice (yes, I know the referees gifted Texas with a touchdown in the official record books). That was us as I-AAs beating three SWC schools in one season.

We have that caliber of coach. We're just so used to seeing chicanery that we don't know what we have.

• Upvote 4

I think with the experienced college coaching staff that we have now, we should win at least 5 games.

I think that is a distinct possibility and would be very pleased to see it happen, in particular at home games in front of good crowds.

The bar in the Sun Belt isn't high. We came pretty close to breaking even last year with a banged up squad...so that was basically playing with inexperienced guys.

Tulsa is overhyped.

The coaching staff is simply stacked with guys who know the game. Other SBC schools have hired what I consider to be high risk coaches, none well known or known to build FBS-level programs.

Look regionally, UT and OU coming off losing seasons hired Mack Brown and Bob Stoops respectively in 1998 and 1999. They both won in their first seasons with tougher schedules.

We've got a coach who's been up there, and who has been up there his whole career. It's been all BCS, FBS, Division I-A, whatever you want to call it for Dan McCarney.

You've got the architect of the Kansas defense under Mangino in Bowen. You've got a guy whose special teams work helped Colorado and Boise State to annual bowl games in Riddle.

Look...the pieces are here on the coaching side. Even if we lose to FUI and Houston to open the season, their players won't be running back to the sidelines like OU's players were saying, "Coach, coach! They're not even trying to disguise their coverages!"

On the defensive side of the ball, Dodge tried to man up on OU all night. McCarney, Bowen, and Riddle aren't that stupid (yes, I know Dodge eventually progressed, but that night was stupid). Anyone who beats us this year is going to be in a dog fight for 60 minutes.

I agree that having McCarney, Bowen, Riddle, etc. on board is good for at least five wins. The Tulsa game is pivotal. We'll both have been through tough early stretches. They'll be loaded with returning starters on both sides of the ball; we'll have the better coaching staff. The theories of those of us who say coaching makes a huge difference at this level will leave theory and be put into raw practice that night.

We will not be plundered in 2011 like we have been since 2005 under Dickey and Dodge. This is real. Many of us have never seen real. Those who saw Hayden Fry teams of the 70 and the late 60s Mitchell/Rust teams saw what competent coaching can do.

Also, throw Corky Nelson into the mix for beat Texas Tech, Texas, and Rice (yes, I know the referees gifted Texas with a touchdown in the official record books). That was us as I-AAs beating three SWC schools in one season.

We have that caliber of coach. We're just so used to seeing chicanery that we don't know what we have.

Great posts today, Fake. Appreciate the insightful thoughts.

The Tulsa FIU game is pivotal.

Fixed it for you.

If the coaching staff is what you think they are, this is the night we will see great improvement, and hopefully a win. This game is HUGE for the confidence of this team heading into a home opener against Houston and a road game against 'Bama. Lose at FIU, and you probably have 0-3 or 0-4 staring you in the face. This team really needs a win to boost confidence, which makes FIU my pivotal game of the year.

I hope everything else you posted is proven correct.

Also, I am currentlly looking for the rockinest internet cafe in Fort Worth to host the FIU watching party. :fpc:

Edited by UNT90

I forgot to ask. Did you see any advertisements for the North Texas football program and stadium?

I have seen the new billboards that tout us as the "New Mean Green." I am not a fan of that myself. Probably me just being picky...new team yes, but we've been Mean Green long enough that we are not new. I have heard the commercial on the radio twice that we are the "new mean green." Oh well, probably just me.

5-7 or 6-6 for this year.