Wku 2011 Recruiting Class

Just took a look at who they have coming in for this upcoming season. We talk pretty highly of our class but it looks as though WKU might have a higher rated group.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/commitments/2011/WesternKentucky-224

That is good for the SBC and therefore good for UNT.

Edited by MCMLXXX
  • Upvote 2

I think if you add Tony Mitchell (who is basically coming in as a Freshman) and Roger Franklin, plus our TBD scholarship, our class is probably a little better. They do have a great class though, and there are going to be some awesome battles over the next four years. I just hope we get to see one in Denton one of these days... :angry:

• Upvote 3

The only chance we'll get to see these games live is to go to Bowling Green. I'm convinced WW was part of the "animal lovin'" incident at WKU and they have pictures of him in the act. There's no other way to explain why we always go to WKU.

WKU always has the highest rated class, however they always seem to lose several before the season even starts. I also think because of their reputation their signees tend to be rated higher than other Belt teams who recruit similar talent.

As stated above, WKU always has a much higher rated class than NT. Yet, JJ usually gets talent enough to compete well with them. Even without Mitchell, I think NT's class this year is at least equal with WKU and it will be interesting to see if WKU can keep up.

Edited by GrandGreen

WKU always has the highest rated class, however they always seem to lose several before the season even starts. I also think because of their reputation their signees tend to be rated higher than other Belt teams who recruit similar talent.

As stated above, WKU always has a much higher rated class than NT. Yet, JJ usually gets talent enough to compete well with them. Even without Martin, I think NT's class this year is at least equal with WKU and it will be interesting to see if WKU can keep up.

Who?

start.....?

Alzee Franklin Holmen Edwards Hogans as of what I have last heard

Mark it.

Plus, by my count, you have one guard and four forwards in your projected starting 5. That ain't gonna be the five to take the court come mid-November. I would insert Jones and take out Holman, then you might be right. Also, we don't even know if Franklin will be eligible, and if history holds, he won't. I think Jordan Williams will be staring if Franklin doesn't get his waiver.

I could actually see Knox starting ahead of Edwards.

Edited by UNT90

start.....?

May be close for first game assuming Edwards has improved substantially. My guess is that Jordan Williams and Jones will quickly start.

May not be for the initial game but soon after: Hogans, Franklin, J. Williams, A. Williams and Jones. Short team but Edwards, Knox have a long way to go. Holmen was playing well when injured last year but mainly as a wing. Robinson may be green but he could quickly join the rotation if Edwards and/or Knox don't substantially improve. The freshmen could take over this team.

No one knows yet if Franklin will receive a waiver. History says he won't.

If Knox can give you rebounding and decent defense, I would start him for his size (as long as he remembers he is a 7 footer, which is half of his problems). I am hoping to see this improvement from him. Much like Franklin, I don't care if he scores a point, defense and rebounding is all we need from him.

• Upvote 1

start.....?

Other than Hogans I see alot of question marks with that line-up. Although I love the defense he plays, based on what we saw in his first year on the offensive end, I wouldn't pencil in Alzee to start. I think Chris Jones has much more long term potential so I believe the coaches will give him every opportunity to run the point. I actually think Alzee will see time at the two as some of the backup PG minutes may go to Norris. I also think based on the improvement we saw from Holmen towards the end of the year, that there is a good chance he will start as well. I think obviously when Mitchell becomes eligible we will find a way to get him on the floor, that may be as the starting 3 or playing the 4 in name only as we go with a smaller overall lineup depending on matchups. As others have pointed out I also expect Jordan Williams will get alot of PT. If he can adapt to playing the two that would be even better for us as it would give us the flexibility to potentially have J Williams, Franklin, and Mitchell on the floor at the same time. That could definitely cause some matchup problems for other teams in the Belt. We will see what happens, but no matter how the lineup shakes out - definitely exciting time to be a Mean Green fan!

Other than Hogans I see alot of question marks with that line-up. Although I love the defense he plays, based on what we saw in his first year on the offensive end, I wouldn't pencil in Alzee to start. I think Chris Jones has much more long term potential so I believe the coaches will give him every opportunity to run the point. I actually think Alzee will see time at the two as some of the backup PG minutes may go to Norris. I also think based on the improvement we saw from Holmen towards the end of the year, that there is a good chance he will start as well. I think obviously when Mitchell becomes eligible we will find a way to get him on the floor, that may be as the starting 3 or playing the 4 in name only as we go with a smaller overall lineup depending on matchups. As others have pointed out I also expect Jordan Williams will get alot of PT. If he can adapt to playing the two that would be even better for us as it would give us the flexibility to potentially have J Williams, Franklin, and Mitchell on the floor at the same time. That could definitely cause some matchup problems for other teams in the Belt. We will see what happens, but no matter how the lineup shakes out - definitely exciting time to be a Mean Green fan!

Not to immediately contradict what I just said, but I think there is one question mark in Hogans game. Can he up his rebounding? We really need more than 4 boards a game out of our post, so hopefully he will be able to step it up.

I dont see Edwards starting over Williams for long, he might in the beginning because of experience. Is Franklin even going to be eligible this season?

Williams is not a PF... he is a SG.... why would he play the 4...? Holmen would go back down low before Williams does... especially in the ncaa

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

<br>Williams is not a PF... he is a SG.... why would he play the 4...? Holmen would go back down low before Williams does... especially in the ncaa<br>
<br><br>Im not saying that Williams would play the 4, because we dont have a true 5. &nbsp;I think well just have to play smaller and get the ball out on the wing, 4/5 players are better than average at the 3. &nbsp;I dont know how well Williams can defend on defense but to my knowledge I heard he could handle guys a little bit bigger and stronger.<div><br></div><div>I still dont see Knox/Edwards being true starters, unless they have a GREAT offseason.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thats what I think will be our biggest weakness untill Mitchell is able to play because he'll play the 4 and Holman and Williams will play the 3.

</div>

Edited by Dr. Seuss

Williams is not a PF... he is a SG.... why would he play the 4...? Holmen would go back down low before Williams does... especially in the ncaa

Jordan Williams will most likely play on the wing, but he was much more a forward than guard in high school. Based on what little I have seen of Jordan, he may be able to out rebound any returners on the tearm, which unfortunately is not saying a lot. He is only a little shorter than Edwards and Hogans, and appears to be a much better athlete. Unless there is a lot of improvement from NT returning posts I can see J. Williams, Robinson and/or Franklin keeping them on the bench. Hogans will play a lot of minutes but he IMO he is a better sixth man than starter.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Hogans will play a lot of minutes but he IMO he is a better sixth man than starter.

Hogans is mean and nasty.

Therefore, I want to see him on the floor as much as possible and not in a 6th man capacity. Our overall size demands that we start the game with an attitude.