Vito's Thoughts On The Spring Game

That's a really good article, IMO.

Got a good sunburn out there Saturday, but saw pretty much the same thing. Thompson was a pleasant, consistent mild surprise. He seems to "be there" with the physical tools, so will be interesting to see how he develops over the summer and into fall.

I also agree that physical development in the time left before the season is critical. Really concerned about both lines, but I'll just leave it at that before I get myself too wound up.

Otherwise, it was a nice scrimmage and beautiful day out there.

• Upvote 2

"once UNT finally fired Todd Dodge"

It's comments like this one thrown into every article he writes that I can't stand. Dodge obviously did something to Vito that hurt his fragile self esteem and now that he's gone Vito can't help but bag on the big bully.

My guess all that animosity was spawned by Vito's reporting of the racial discrimination charges by a few of the players. I really think both should have moved on, but frankly I can understand Dodge's reaction. The paper gave a lot of ink to the charges but said basically nothing when the claims were deemed without merit. There are very few things that can be more harmful to a program than those type of allegations. Dodge apparently responded by giving Vito less than ideal access and a very uneasy relationship was endured by both.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 4

"once UNT finally fired Todd Dodge"

It's comments like this one thrown into every article he writes that I can't stand. Dodge obviously did something to Vito that hurt his fragile self esteem and now that he's gone Vito can't help but bag on the big bully.

I am in agreement with you there, Eppy - Jeez Louise, enough is enough!

I know I have lost a lot of respect for Vito's writing because of this - and I understand the role of a blog, but this even comes through in the articles he writes for the newspaper.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

My guess all that animosity was spawned by Vito's reporting of the racial discrimination charges by a few of the players. I really think both should have moved on, but frankly I can understand Dodge's reaction. The paper gave a lot of ink to the charges but said basically nothing when the claims were deemed without merit. There are very few things that can be more harmful to a program than those type of allegations. Dodge apparently responded by giving Vito less than ideal access and a very uneasy relationship was endured by both.

Shouldn't Vito be a little understanding and just let it drop by now? It's part of the job.

• Upvote 1

I am in agreement with you there, Eppy - Jeez Louise, enough is enough!

I know I have lost a lot of respect for Vito's writing because of this - and I understand the role of a blog, but this even comes through in the articles he writes for the newspaper.

"I have always liked Mike Canales and he showed what he could do once UNT finally fired Todd Dodge."

should he just not have used the word "finally"? what vito said was appropriate and true. canales showed what he could do once dodge was gone. we would not have known what he was capable of doing if dodge hadn't been fired. i have nothing wrong with his comments.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

"I have always liked Mike Canales and he showed what he could do once UNT finally fired Todd Dodge."

should he just not have used the word "finally"? what vito said was appropriate and true. canales showed what he could do once dodge was gone. we would not have known what he was capable of doing if dodge hadn't been fired. i have nothing wrong with his comments.

I understand what you are saying, Thor, and I can possibly agree if this were the only instance.

But my reaction was based on the statements by Vito that have occurred continously since Todd Dodge was fired (what, 6 - 7 months ago?).

It is time for Vito to simply drop the negative and/or snide comments about Dodge or his tenure at UNT (and for God's sake, refrain from using the tired old saw "so-in-so got out of Dodge....").

Jeez, grow up Vito - act like the professtional you are supposed to be!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1