New Unt Coach Karen Aston Press Conference Notes

Harry

http://meangreenblog...nference-t.html

This seems like a great hire for UNT. Aston has skins on the wall as a college head coach and made a good impression at the press conference. Throw in the fact that people who know what it takes in women's basketball a heck of a lot more than I do believe in her, and everything seems to point toward UNT having made a good decision.

She gave a good presser too.

Here's the video:

http://www.meangreensports.com/newMediaPlayer/console.htm?&oemid=1800&type=vod&id=767033&CLIP_FILE_ID=767033&CLIP_ID=756706&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=1800

And the AD writeup of the hire:

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=1800&ATCLID=205134663

(Classy post at the bottom of the article)

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Good hire. I'm curious to see how she'll go about building the program here. She sounded very frustrated when people in Charlotte didn't show up for their WNIT run this year, and it seems like she would have the same problem in Denton, just maybe not to the same degree as Charlotte. They had 662 people show up for a third round home game against Florida. Our last two home games of the year were 2200 and 1100, and needless to say, quite a ways away from any kind of tourney run.

Good hire. I'm curious to see how she'll go about building the program here. She sounded very frustrated when people in Charlotte didn't show up for their WNIT run this year, and it seems like she would have the same problem in Denton, just maybe not to the same degree as Charlotte. They had 662 people show up for a third round home game against Florida. Our last two home games of the year were 2200 and 1100, and needless to say, quite a ways away from any kind of tourney run.

Thats only 350 less people than SMU's attendance projections for their own post-season games. :ph34r:

Question....now what was it that she had to decide to do at UNCC that sacrificed wins for character development? Did she have a controversial suspensions (or suspensions) that she gave out towards the end of the year?

Junior forward Paige McCallum was suspended for the season for academic and disciplinary reasons.

Read more: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/03/28/2180496/49ers-take-pride-in-wnit-run.html#ixzz1JLnbpq00

They lost three of their last four regular season games after that (20-5 at the time) and then didn't get to the final in the A10 tourney.

Don't get carried away with NT attendance, which would be a fraction of that if not followed by the men's team game. NT could not get close to 600 actual attendance for a stand alone game last year.

• Upvote 1

Needless to say, I was at that game. Attendance was not as good as it should have been, but I think that 662 number is not accurate at all. Local media does all it can to ignore us here, thus the fan base is not good. Karen was frustrated even before the game was played by the fact that the Charlotte Observer ran a story on Amanda Butler's return to Charlotte. (Amanda was hired by Florida after coaching here). After the game her comment was "Maybe, they will have a story on us tomorrow". Ya'll turn out and watch Karen's team when possible. She certainly deserves to see her work showcased. Edited by 4ever niner
  • Upvote 2

Anyone concerned with her turnover? (no pun intended) She's going to need at least 3 recruiting classes, right?

Coaching career

1994-1996 Baylor

1996-1998 NT

1998-2006 UT

2006-2007 Baylor

2007-2011 Charlotte

2011-present North Texas

Slinker was with us for over 20 years

Anyone concerned with her turnover? (no pun intended) She's going to need at least 3 recruiting classes, right?

Coaching career

1994-1996 Baylor

1996-1998 NT

1998-2006 UT

2006-2007 Baylor

2007-2011 Charlotte

2011-present North Texas

Slinker was with us for over 20 years

I'm not sure what her life goals are, but she did say "I don't plan on telling another group of girls I'm leaving ever again." Both of her parents were at the press conference as well. It seems like home is very important to her, and it seems like moving closer to home is more important to her than moving up the food chain. Also not sure how important her alma mater is to her, but she is a graduate of UALR, which would be even closer to her family...I'm just thrilled we managed to get her.

As far as the team, I think we will see immediate results. They aren't going to win the conference or anything in the first year, but there is some talent on the team, and if we had had any coaching at all this year we could have been middle of the pack SBC.

• Upvote 1