Recruiting Class

Seems like we say that EVERY year??:unsure:

Most, if not all, of us thought TD's first class was not that bad as well. We were impressed...thought their were "some guys under the radar" and a "sleeper or two" in that class. Go back and look at that class again...how many of those kids actually contributed anything??

Point is...we are fooling ourselves if we think this class cracks the Top 100 in the country. Let's just hope the coaches can coach the heck out of them...put them in a position to be successful...and motivate them to push themselves maybe beyond their limits.

I totally understand your point here, and it is well taken. However, when I mentioned the sleepers in the class, I was talking about 2* or unrated players who had scholarship offers from Big 12, Big 10, SEC and BE schools. I'm not talking about amazing players who somehow no one noticed. I think that's the truest indicator (as far as we can tell this early, which isnt far), and the thing that shows this class is at least a little better than the stars would suggest.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

TCU has yet to ever sign a player form the ESPN top 150, which are the 5star and 4 star players everyone wants, until this year, and they got 1.

Grades and stars partly come because of interest, so it's almost a self-predicting prcoess whereby the AQ's and larger schools targets are automatically rated a little higher because of the schools recruiting them. Rankings are a highly flawed system.

I'm pleased with the class, I think Coach Mac got guys that fir his system, speed across the board, and a lot of veteran football players. Several 3 yr starters, a 4 yr starter, those kids know the game.

Truthfully, if you can't be optimistic now, then when will you be?

• Upvote 3

By the way, wasn't Texas 5-7 this year. Obviously, the star system did not work for them this year.

Yeah and before that it led to a national championship, a few BCS bowl wins, a record number of 10-win seasons, bowl appearances, etc.

I understand the sentiment, but all this "ratings don't matter talk" is what people say who didn't get players with high ratings.

This is a fine class, why people feel the need to denigrate the rating system to feel good about it is beyond me.

• Upvote 1

I totally agree. New stadium, very experienced new coaching staff, Canales retained for continuation of the improved offense and the momentum from the way we played in the last five games of the season should make everyone optimistic now.

Yeah and before that it led to a national championship, a few BCS bowl wins, a record number of 10-win seasons, bowl appearances, etc.

I understand the sentiment, but all this "ratings don't matter talk" is what people say who didn't get players with high ratings.

This is a fine class, why people feel the need to denigrate the rating system to feel good about it is beyond me.

It also happened at Florida. When Urban Meyer goes on and says the ratings system is flawed, I'll tend to trust his judgement.

Recruiting Rankings don't lead to national championships, coaching & once in a lifetime players do: Vince Young? Cam Newton?

Auburn wasn't even in the top 25 last yr for recruiting. They lost all their "big" recruits to the bully down the block that just came off a national championship, but all they needed was one.

Bud, they don't watach a bunch of film on a guy and then start handing out rankings. It's a highly political process. Who's been invited to what camps, who's being recruited by who. It's a pretty much worthless number, stars that is.

That's not to say we should expect to be receiving high classes, I'm sure McCarney never had highl ranked classes at Iowa St, but they won a few games and a big XII championship.

Understand your point, I think we've got some play makers on both sides of the ball, but honestly brother, it hasn't been lack of talent that's lost us games in the last 2-3 yrs.

Championships aren't handed out on Feb 3rd. For over a decade Mac Brown and UT were in the top 5 nationally, but couldn't beat stoops. Recruiting is only half the battle, if that much.

Solid class considering they had all of 8 weeks to put it together.

This class is about what I expected for the amount of time the coaching staff had to create a board and recruit players. My only issue is that we couldn't pull any juco DTs. I really think we needed to sign at least 2. I have always felt that teams are only as good as their offensive and defensive lines.

People argue that stars are a good measuring stick when they have lots of 3 star recruits. Others argue that they mean nothing, and point to walk-ons like Casey Fitzgerald. I think both points have some validity. At skill positions, I think stars are overrated. Every high school in Texas has some kid that runs a 4.4, and you never know how he will grow in college. On the defensive and offensive lines, I think stars are important. Not every high school in Texas has a 6'4", 330 pound DT that can bench 470 and run a 4.8, 40 yard dash. And not every school has a 6'8" OT, with the wing span of a kid who is 6'10", that can bench 450, and has quick feet and great balance. These talents can't be coached. That is why I think it is essential that we recruit the highest rated prospects we can attract at these positions. Next season I hope to see a few 3 star prospects at the spots heading to UNT.

That said, I trust this staff, and believe they will develop our team into a competitive Sun Belt team next season. I just don't know how many wins we are going to see. Maybe 5?

Recruiting Rankings don't lead to national championships, coaching & once in a lifetime players do: Vince Young? Cam Newton?

Both of whom were five-star recruits, according to Rivals. Vince Young's class was one of the most highly-rated classes Texas ever had. The 2005 football team was one of the best ever. People can keep saying it has nothing to do with winning, but good luck finding a national champion in the past 10 years who wasn't loaded with 3-star (or better) recruits. The entire sun belt has low-ranked classes compared to the SEC. Is that political too? Or is it a reflection of the severe talent gap that exists between the two conferences?

I suspect the day we start pulling a few four-star recruits, you'll see the entire mood and opinions on recruiting rankings turn...

And I absolutely agree we haven't lost games based on talent alone... anyone with any sort of football brain knows that. There are several factors that affect winning programs, but having the talent makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Edited by Eagle1855

But how many 5 star athletes don't pan out at all? I'm not saying the gap between SEC recruiitng and ours is small. I'm saying the difference in player 150 on the top 150 and 350 is very negligable and for the most part any kid who blooms late and has a big Sr yr is not going to have the ranking, because they start handing them out when these kids are soph. and Jr's.

TCU hasn't signed a 4 star rated player till this yr. So we've got a lot of room for growth with the 3 star kids we can get now.

All good, difference in perspective and opinion. You will never see me jumping up and down over and ranking service score. I'll never reference them in relation to a player's ability, the quality of a recruiting class, or for anything at all. Just my opinion. I don't care where they're ranked. It's whether or not we filled the needs of our system with the right types of kids. I know that's hard to quantify that, and that's really the only reason these stars and all started being such a huge deal, fans want some way to quantify how their school did in comparison to others when it comes to getting new players.

TCU has yet to ever sign a player form the ESPN top 150, which are the 5star and 4 star players everyone wants, until this year, and they got 1.

Grades and stars partly come because of interest, so it's almost a self-predicting prcoess whereby the AQ's and larger schools targets are automatically rated a little higher because of the schools recruiting them. Rankings are a highly flawed system.

I'm pleased with the class, I think Coach Mac got guys that fir his system, speed across the board, and a lot of veteran football players. Several 3 yr starters, a 4 yr starter, those kids know the game.

Curious...even if we DID sign an ESPN Top 150 player...would he still be in the ESPN Top 150? Seems players that sign with UNT lose a star...or make it off the lists...:excl::ninja:

I think you have look to the video of the players UNT recruited, I agree with other replies that UNT found some real play-makers. One of the biggest indicators of success in this year's recruiting class are the commitments switched from more prominent fbs schools to UNT (A Coup in itself) and the number of commitments from the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Somehow, without any recent success or hiring of a big-name coach (Leach for example), UNT is relevant in the greater DFW area and Texas. I believe that this year's success will form a strong base for recruiting future Texas players, a la TCU.

I've heard this mentioned a few times lately. Does this really happen? Are there some examples anyone is familiar with?

Yes, to us several times, and to most mid majors and is why the coaches even scoff at the ranking system of the pay per view recruiting entertainment business some here are trying to defend.

Go back and read our history. Good coaches will find and develope good players and together will form good football teams.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

It's pretty common outside of athletics also. My wife's friends said her IQ dropped at least 20 points; 10 the moment she said yes to my proposal and another 10 when she said "I Do!"

It all works out in the end.

awesome, +1

Also, +1 and thanks to the people who gave examples of our commitments losing stars.

• Upvote 1

awesome, +1

Also, +1 and thanks to the people who gave examples of our commitments losing stars.

And who among Rivals would explain "why" they lose stars if they could begin to try? :rolleyes:

Honest to goodness, this is why it is so satsifying to see a Boise who has beaten some decent schools in bowls (start with OU) with their annual very low ranked recruiting classes; anyhow, this is why it is so fun to see the Davids out there slew all the Goliaths. Still the one main common denominator of schools like Boise and TCU is that they started their recruiting season by psutting kids on their boards quite early of which most had...speed.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

And who among Rivals would explain "why" they lose stars if they could begin to try? :rolleyes:

Honest to goodness, this is why it is so satsifying to see a Boise who has beaten some decent schools in bowls (start with OU) with their annual very low ranked recruiting classes; anyhow, this is why it is so fun to see the Davids out there slew all the Goliaths. Still the one main common denominator of schools like Boise and TCU is that they started their recruiting season by psutting kids on their boards quite early of which most had...speed.

GMG!

Speed....anyway we can convince DMAC to bring out about 50 chickens and make the team chase them around?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoEEPoBwf7Y&feature=related