The Mitchell News Has Made It To Missouri

SUMG

I'd love to see their message boards now. They're most likely saying he wasn't that good anyway and what a quitter he is. :rolleyes:

I have to wonder though, is he SMU or CUSA material? :fpc:

They're actually pretty gracious about it. Wishing him the best and sad he couldn't get through the clearinghouse. Big 12 rules wouldn't allow him to get eligible the way we're doing it here, even if he could pay his own way there for a year.

They're actually pretty gracious about it. Wishing him the best and sad he couldn't get through the clearinghouse. Big 12 rules wouldn't allow him to get eligible the way we're doing it here, even if he could pay his own way there for a year.

Good for them. It has to be a kick to the nether regions for Tiger fans who were looking forward to seeing Mitchell in Old Gold and Black. We in the Mean Green Nation are well acquainted with kicks to that part of the body. Lets just hope we don't get another one concerning Mitchell qualifying.

A lot can happen in the mind of a 18 or 19 year old kid between January 26 and October whatever. Not the least of which is change his mind. I hope he comes to NT, but I hope we're not just giving him a place to hang out until he is ready for the NBA draft.

I hope so too, but I'd rather have him for say two years than not at all. The fact that he played here will help future recruiting.

A lot can happen in the mind of a 18 or 19 year old kid between January 26 and October whatever. Not the least of which is change his mind. I hope he comes to NT, but I hope we're not just giving him a place to hang out until he is ready for the NBA draft.

Do you think Kentucky was upset that they were just John Wall's "hang out" until he was ready for the NBA draft?

If all goes according to plan, Mitchell will play here next season (and if we're lucky, maybe another) before he goes in the draft. That should, ideally, open a pipeline for other high profile players to join the Mean Green.

IF he gets into UNT and then sees the floor next season, then this is a win-win for everyone.

What exactly is the NBA rule? It used to be that kids (Kobe, Garnett) could go straight from high school. Now...is the rule that they have to wait a year? (go to college for a year, or Europe as Jennings did). So, if that is the case, I guess Tony Mitchell could apply for the NBA draft. (since he'd be one year out of high school).

But I've got to think his NBA draft stock wouldn't be that high right now. Oh he might get drafted, but I don't think he'd be a high first round pick....maybe not even a 1st rounder.

So going to college, raising his draft stock....would probably do him some good. (I realize what I just posted there is very self-serving.) :)

Edited by SUMG

What exactly is the NBA rule? It used to be that kids (Kobe, Garnett) could go straight from high school. Now...is the rule that they have to wait a year? (go to college for a year, or Europe as Jennings did). So, if that is the case, I guess Tony Mitchell could apply for the NBA draft. (since he'd be one year out of high school).

But I've got to think his NBA draft stock wouldn't be that high right now. Oh he might get drafted, but I don't think he'd be a high first round pick....maybe not even a 1st rounder.

So going to college, raising his draft stock....would probably do him some good. (I realize what I just posted there is very self-serving.) :)

They have to be a year out of their graduating HS class I believe.

He could come out now I suppose, but he's been off the grid for so long that it's not a great idea. He could end up in Europe easily, but there's a bigger chance of being exposed there. If he goes to college for a year or two and beats up on kids his own age (rather than tussling with grown men) -- he has a much better shot of impressing scouts.

Edited by CMJ

The player has to be one year moved from his HS graduation before he can be drafted. Mitchell is eligible for the draft this (as far as I understand the rule). I doubt he enters draft unless he feels like he'll never be eligible to play in the NCAA. Also, don't forget that there is a potential lockout next year. Agents, etc. will loan money to lottery guys to cover their expenses until the lockout ends, but it might be a little more dicey for lower first and second picks.

Provided no lock-out, he'd be smart to test the waters this year w/no agent. Scouts/evaluators don't care if he's had to sit the year, they are more interested in upside and ceiling. If he shoots it well at 6'10 and handles, they'll just call him Rashad Lewis and pay to develop him. If his entourage is just counting on him qualifying for next year, that's very short-sighted. He needs to have all angles covered, cause the NCAA isn't a Mitchell fan as of right now.

Provided no lock-out, he'd be smart to test the waters this year w/no agent. Scouts/evaluators don't care if he's had to sit the year, they are more interested in upside and ceiling. If he shoots it well at 6'10 and handles, they'll just call him Rashad Lewis and pay to develop him. If his entourage is just counting on him qualifying for next year, that's very short-sighted. He needs to have all angles covered, cause the NCAA isn't a Mitchell fan as of right now.

Pretty much spot on. When Brandon Jennings went to to Europe he hardly played and was still a top 10 pick here and lit it up his rookie year. So I don't believe the year off will affect his draft stock that much if he truly has the skill and talent.

One of their bloggers called us "North Texas State" :facepalm:

I commented on his blog that we were now known as the University of North Texas and had been since oh, about 1986. I grew up in the KC area and I didn't know news travelled so slow to that region. :angry: