Why Aren't The Networks Carrying The Big Games?

Mean Green 93-98

I am perplexed. In my whole life, I never remember a time when the networks failed to carry the major bowl games. But this year, all the BCS games--and even the BCS Championship--are on ESPN. It seems like a dumb choice by ABC, and I can't see why the BCS would go for it.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Downvote 1

ESPN gets about half its revenue from subscribers and half ad revenue. The game is on ESPN because:

1. Don't want fans giving up cable or going to Internet providers not subscribing to ESPN3.

2. Need must have content to raise fees charged to cable and Internet.

3. Want to boost viewership to raise ad rates.

4. Making ESPN more essential let's them force cable to add more ESPN channels and services.

ESPN is basically maxes out on number of subscribers so higher fees and higher ad revenue only growth avenue left.

• Upvote 1

I believe that the Fiesta Bowl was on Fox.

But that's even worse. Doesn't that say something about a sport when a bowl game gets more network attention than the Championship Game?

Just seems like the priorities are screwed up.

Only the BCS.

The Fiesta was on ESPN - Fox had the Cotton. ESPN outbid everyone significantly for all five BCS games.

• Upvote 1

ESPN gets about half its revenue from subscribers and half ad revenue. The game is on ESPN because:

1. Don't want fans giving up cable or going to Internet providers not subscribing to ESPN3.

2. Need must have content to raise fees charged to cable and Internet.

3. Want to boost viewership to raise ad rates.

4. Making ESPN more essential let's them force cable to add more ESPN channels and services.

ESPN is basically maxes out on number of subscribers so higher fees and higher ad revenue only growth avenue left.

But isn't that short-sighted of the BCS to let ESPN broadcast their bowl games and championship? TV ratings are sure to go down, reducing the value of future contracts.

• Downvote 1

Everyone says it's money, but they sure don't gain viewers doing it this way....in fact, they may actually lose them. This year by the Sugar Bowl being on ESPN, the rating was 8.4 compared to last year which was 8.7. In addition, I have to believe that a larger percentage of those watching it on ESPN use DVR as opposed to those on regular TV, so they lose out on people watching the commercials.

Technically - Disney owns both ABC and ABC. They also have let ESPN have about half the big time sports programming the last few years.

Yes, I didn't really feel like going into detail, but the point remains the same. And again, ABC (excuse me, Disney) is throwing away advertising dollars, and the BCS are fools for allowing it to happen.

Yes, I didn't really feel like going into detail, but the point remains the same. And again, ABC (excuse me, Disney) is throwing away advertising dollars, and the BCS are fools for allowing it to happen.

They got their big paycheck though.

Hell...the Final Four is going to be broadcast by TBS a few times in the near future. You're gonna see more and more big events move to cable.

And even though it's not on ABC, we still have to listen to MouseBurger. All they need to do is hire Siragusa away from Fox and add him to the game, then I'd probably shoot out the speakers on my TV.

And we still got Big Game Brent. At the very end, just before the game winning field goal, he had to shoehorn in "This is for all the Tostitos."

Gimme a break.

• Downvote 1

I'm perplexed as well...who doesn't have cable/satellite TV in the year 2011?

Around12% and growing according to Nielson, so the networks are missing out on a significant (yet poorer) audience. Much higher percentage in Texas and other heavily Hispanic states. Comcast is doing their best to start the trend of getting rid of free OTA TV altogether which I think sux.

• Downvote 1

TurdBurger wasn't that bad last night, IMO. The "for all of the tostitos" comment actually made me laugh. He's usually unbearable, especially at last year's title game.

Loved when he called "Touchdown!!" on about the 10 yard line on O's play that didn't make it into the endzone. In fact, they didn't even score on the drive.