Cliff Lee To The Phillies

Now is when we get to see JD do his work. Grienke's ridiculous price is only going to get higher and the same goes for Matt Garza who is not an ace to begin with. 3 top of the rotation guys were traded last year (Lee, Haren, and Oswalt) so the worst thing to do is jump into a seller's market desperate to buy. If I were JD first and foremost I would go after Adrian Beltre whose bat and defense, along with Young's presumed move to 1B/DH, translates to about a WAR of 5 (or about what was expected out of one Clifton Phifer Lee). Then I would target some low risk, high variance guys along the lines of Brandon Webb. Finally I would offer trades for a solid guy in the middle of the rotation. Guys like Fausto Carmona, Annibal Sanchez, and Ryan Dempster could really bolster this rotation to weather the storm until a guys like Adam Wainwright or Josh Johnson could become available if their teams struggle. The main thing is the front office needs to keep their cool and not make a move for the sake of making a move like the Mavs have done in the past.

Edited by MEANGREENMAN!

I have mixed feelings about this. There is no doubt Cliff Lee is a premier pitcher that could have been the face of the franchise for years to come, but that would have been at a very lofty price. I am kind of glad to see us have the extra change now to go out and get other players, but man, it would have been nice to see him in a Rangers uni for 5-7 years.

That being said, I am very glad the Yanks and Halos did not get them. How good will the Phillies be next year? Doc, Cliff, Oswalt and Hameles- geeze, do they even need to play the regular season?

Rangers need to go out and get Greinke now in my opinion, I am afraid they can not get deep in to the playoffs with out another great arm.

I think we all know what the Rangers need to do now.

I've said it many times, and I'll say it once more.

They need to avoid overreacting. Don't make any panic moves. Spend wisely, probably on hitting and defense given the current free agent market. Take the resources they have, shop intelligently, buttress the skill positions, and bide their time.

If a difference maker is available on the trade market for a reasonable price, pursue it. But don't make rash decisions and spend huge money just for the sake of making a move.

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit glad. Agree with tying up so much money in one player, but also that he just doesn't seem like he's worth that much. Without him, Texas probably wouldn't have gotten out of the ALDS this year, but all the same, his two WS appearances were massive chokes. That wouldn't be such a big deal if we were talking a 2-3 year contract, but seven years? Maybe he'll go down as one of the best pitchers of all time, but outside of some flashes of brilliance at opportune times in the past couple years, we wouldn't even be talking about him. I wonder if Philly will still be feeling good about the amount they spent in 2015.

• Upvote 1

They need to avoid overreacting. Don't make any panic moves. Spend wisely, probably on hitting and defense given the current free agent market. Take the resources they have, shop intelligently, buttress the skill positions, and bide their time.

If a difference maker is available on the trade market for a reasonable price, pursue it. But don't make rash decisions and spend huge money just for the sake of making a move.

Rangers need another pitcher if they want to make another deep playoff run, and I believe that guy is Zack Greinke. He is young, already has a CY Young, and has tremendous room to grow in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Rangers need another pitcher if they want to make another deep playoff run, and I believe that guy is Zack Greinke. He is young, already has a CY Young, and has tremendous room to grow in my opinion.

So you're of the opinion that both the specific number (and overall talent) of the members of the rotation are inadequate at this point?

You prescribe that the Rangers need to pursue an additional starter? Obtain more hurlers? Acquire greater arms, in terms of both quantity and quality?

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. I think you're one catchy slogan away from a philosophy I can get on board with.

Edited by TheTastyGreek
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mother f**ker!!

We got played.

I actually don't think we did. I don't think his intention was ever to sign with the Yankees unless of course no one of his interest wasn't offering much. I truly think Texas was the front runner in the process but waiting and waiting worked in Lee's favor. It was clear to me that he never wanted to leave Philly. I was watching his press conference after his trade to Seattle and he pretty much said that he was shocked and disappointed and that after the 2009 season his intention was to sign the extension and finish his career in Philly. So in essence had Philly not traded him he may have have never been in the market to begin with if it was up to Lee last season. Reports were saying that his agent called up the Yankees and he personally called the Rangers...I think we were ahead the whole time but the Phillies came in and jumped on it and it probably caught Lee by surprise and then crap...he realized how much he loved being in Philly.

I don't mind seeing Garza and Greinke here but my fantasy wish list is for the Rangers to make a serious run at Josh Johnson. I think he already is but will continue to be on that uber alpha male level for a true ace pitcher. Lets git er done.

Exactly.

moneyball.jpg

I think we did get played. He was just buying time to try and get Philly to make an offer.

Philly was never in the picture until really really late. His wish list was Philly but it wasn't realistic. And Philly made a comparable offer and push come to shove he preferred Philly. What was so wrong about that? I don't get how we got played. He was a free agent so it was his right to wait and see what happens and the team of his choice made an offer and he took it rather quickly.

WTF??????

Some day, some decade, maybe, MLB will understand how much better pro baseball is when more than the same 5 to 6 teams compete for the title every year?

Rick

Rick, while I don't disagree at all with the idea behind your post, it is really stretching it to place the Phillies in the category of the "same 5 to 6 teams who compete for the title every year". The history of the Phillies is not all that good...even in recent years. It is only very lately that Philadelphia has been on the "successful" side and competing for championships.

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1