Amazing Fact About Today's Game...

CaribbeanGreen

Todd Dodge was here for 3 1/2 seasons. In the FIRST GAME after his dismissal, the team posts its most impressive victory - by a large margin - since before he was hired.

I don't have the time or patience, but I truly wonder if that's ever been done before. Not only did the team take all of one bye week to perform far better than it EVER EVEN APPROACHED under Football Trilli, it posted its largest margin of victory since.... wait for it.... 2004.

Two things: First, if there's even been a more painfully obvious case of addition by subtraction, I haven't seen it. Second, and most importantly, this gives us hope. I don't care that it was WKU (who throttled ULL into next Tuesday and has been damn competitive in their whole SBC slate thus far).... THIS WAS OUR BEST PERFORMANCE IN SIX YEARS. This gives us hope that maybe these players CAN play. Maybe, with actual college coaches and an actual sense of urgency, motivation, and a proper and competent game plan, we are in the position to be competitive next season. In this conference, with a proven coach, we shouldn't hope for it - we should expect it.

Could someone give him a +2? I accidentally hit the -1.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Todd Dodge was here for 3 1/2 seasons. In the FIRST GAME after his dismissal, the team posts its most impressive victory - by a large margin - since before he was hired.

I don't have the time or patience, but I truly wonder if that's ever been done before. Not only did the team take all of one bye week to perform far better than it EVER EVEN APPROACHED under Football Trilli, it posted its largest margin of victory since.... wait for it.... 2004.

Two things: First, if there's even been a more painfully obvious case of addition by subtraction, I haven't seen it. Second, and most importantly, this gives us hope. I don't care that it was WKU (who throttled ULL into next Tuesday and has been damn competitive in their whole SBC slate thus far).... THIS WAS OUR BEST PERFORMANCE IN SIX YEARS. This gives us hope that maybe these players CAN play. Maybe, with actual college coaches and an actual sense of urgency, motivation, and a proper and competent game plan, we are in the position to be competitive next season. In this conference, with a proven coach, we shouldn't hope for it - we should expect it.

+1...it is amazing isn't it. That team didn't even look anywhere close to what we have seen.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

First off, I'm not trying to be a smartass here, just trying to put another perspective on this. Although, I do dive in knowing some will take every opportunity thay can to pervert my meaning to justify cheap shots. I wonder how long all the "I told you so" will carry on. You guys need to hold back on some of this !!! Two things come immediately to mind. (A). Is it not possible that the way the kids played today, may be an indication that they (as the actual performers) were almost out of games left in their careers,season,etc...and that they may be personnally somewhat responsible for the demise of a coach ? With those realizations, reached down deep to use what they already had ?? Seems a little premature to insinuate this win is entirely due to the coaching change.(B) Hey ! we didnt play a good team today.....we played "us". Another weak team. If we win out (and I would love for that to happen !!) Then these wins with the same players would lend credence to the Dodge haters. But if we lose out with the same kids....who will this forum blame then ??? Just asking....

Agree

The TD era is over , let's all move forward after this week.

• Upvote 4

If that means not pointing out and celebrating the fact that we just had our biggest win since 2004 and the future looks brighter than ever, well.... count me out.

But hey, MITCH MORELAND!!!!

Have we lost to the Hill Toppers in the last four years, really biggest win?

Most dominate win but still the Toppers, I think we should wait to see how we look against Troy before we start swapping spit. I had heard that TD had lost the team long ago.

• Upvote 4

Guest JohnDenver

This seems like an overreaction. Even TD's teams beat WKU teams.

Go Mean Green though. It feels great to win on a Saturday. I can't recall the last two consecutive weekends with a UNT loss.

I am excited to see what Canales can do with the team. I am not ready to act like this week is proof of his genius. We all had this week slated as a win, even with TD as coach.

Go Mean Green though. It feels great to win on a Saturday. I can't recall the last two consecutive weekends with a UNT loss.

I am excited to see what Canales can do with the team. I am not ready to act like this week is proof of his genius. We all had this week slated as a win, even with TD as coach.

I agree that part of this is an overreaction but even in the TD games, I may be wrong but I don't remember us kicking the crap out of WKU. Those were close games and nail biters that could have gone either way and with a little luck, we were fortunate enough to win.

Today was just a beat down to the third degree. And this being after what has happened this season, the first game headed by Canales....I mean yes while it may be somewhat of an overreaction I think it is very encouraging what we saw. But the rest of the whole will be the true test and see how the team and coaching staff responds.

• Upvote 6

I'd probably argue that the 2005 SMU win was double the size of this win , but that's just me

I'm thrilled we won. I just don't want to start TD threads after each loss / win in the future. Nothing is more tiresome than having to still hear about DD some 4years after the man left. I'm sure I'm guilty of a few myself so I'm not calling anyone out. Let's just all try to avoid bashing TD from here on out. I thank the man for trying , it just didn't work out. I wish him & his family nothing but the best in the future and if he's reading this I'd love to buy him some beer for the tailgate next weekend ! I think TD would be surprised how much of a warm welcome he would get with the fans if he did come out and say hi to the MeanGreen Nation

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 5

I agree that part of this is an overreaction but even in the TD games, I may be wrong but I don't remember us kicking the crap out of WKU. Those were close games and nail biters that could have gone either way and with a little luck, we were fortunate enough to win.

Today was just a beat down to the third degree. And this being after what has happened this season, the first game headed by Canales....I mean yes while it may be somewhat of an overreaction I think it is very encouraging what we saw. But the rest of the whol e will be the true test and see how the team and coaching staff responds.

End score is a beat down, but it was close until their fumble in the 4th quarter. They were driving and could have scored to make it a 3pt game. We went and scored, then they fumbled immediatley on the kickoff and we score again. It wasn't a beat down the whole game, we just took the ball twice at the end of the game and found our groove again. Up to that point we only had 19 points. That isn't beating them down, that is just winning the game.

I'd probably argue that the 2005 SMU win was double the size of this win , but that's just me

I'm thrilled we won. I just don't want to start TD threads after each loss / win in the future. Nothing is more tiresome than having to still hear about DD some 4years after the man left. I'm sure I'm guilty of a few myself so I'm not calling anyone out. Let's just all try to avoid bashing TD from here on out. I thank the man for trying , it just didn't work out. I wish him & his family nothing but the best in the future and if he's reading this I'd love to buy him some beer for the tailgate next weekend ! I think TD would be surprised how much of a warm welcome he would get with the fans if he did come out and say hi to the MeanGreen Nation

Concur. +1.

• Upvote 1

Is it an overreaction? We just went up to a team's homecoming game, after getting our coach fired and our defense who was giving up a TD on the opponents opening drive game after game, held them to no TD's after they got 54 points last week...and we win 33-6, I would definately call that a pretty big win.

• Upvote 2

Well, it certainly isn't an "Amazing Fact." We beat this team every year, we had two weeks to prepare and have Riley back at the helm. Not so Amazing. It is a win though. A win that I expect to get.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2

I'll agree with everything except the part in bold. I certainly didn't know what to expect. As of last week, WKU looked a team on the improve; UNT going the other way. Past history seemed to bode well for us, but not the recent past.

Wouldn't it be a lot better to toast foremost the players and the coaching staff for a very good game than use this for an opportunity to pile on the ex-coach? Frankly, no one can really know what would have been the results if Dodge was still the coach. Todd Dodge went out with style, and hopefully will remain a big supporter of NT. Lets try to focus on the future and hope for several more wins for Canales and the team. The Troy game certainly doesn't look as hopeless as it appeared yesterday.

• Upvote 4

I know the "I wish I could give you more than one +1" is played out alot, but this one sir, deserves it.

All I know is it was our largest margin of victory since 2004.... the first game after our coach was fired.... against a team coming off a massive 3 score win over a team that beat us... in their house, on their homecoming. It was like nothing we'd seen since Diet Coke Boy roamed the sidelines, in the first game of a new era against a team with no conference loss bigger than one score coming in.

Yeah, I'm standing by amazing. Don't know why some would want to belittle this to defend a horribly failed ex-coach, but hey.. that nightmare is OVER, and things look much, much brighter now.... Sounds like some somehow expected us to blow out WKU on the road?? I know I sure didn't.... GMG!

And in regards to "amazing"... I'd still like to know... in the history of college football, has a coach with a tenure longer than 3 years EVER been fired or quit and then THE VERY NEXT GAME the team post a larger margin of victory than he ever posted in his entire tenure??? Not a shot at Dodge, just an amazing football anomaly. I can't imagine it's ever happened.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

All I know is it was our largest margin of victory since 2004.... the first game after our coach was fired.... against a team coming off a massive 3 score win over a team that beat us... in their house, on their homecoming. It was like nothing we'd seen since Diet Coke Boy roamed the sidelines, in the first game of a new era against a team with no conference loss bigger than one score coming in.

Yeah, I'm standing by amazing. Don't know why some would want to belittle this to defend a horribly failed ex-coach, but hey.. that nightmare is OVER, and things look much, much brighter now.... Sounds like some somehow expected us to blow out WKU on the road?? I know I sure didn't.... GMG!

And in regards to "amazing"... I'd still like to know... in the history of college football, has a coach with a tenure longer than 3 years EVER been fired or quit and then THE VERY NEXT GAME the team post a larger margin of victory than he ever posted in his entire tenure??? Not a shot at Dodge, just an amazing football anomaly. I can't imagine it's ever happened.

A 0-5 team beating a 1-4 team is a massive win? Add in that UNT always beats WKU -- the word "Amazing" must be very common to you. Is a $5 sub Amazing?

Ask any WKU fan if their blowing out ULL wasn't a massive win for that program. It was. We sure as hell couldn't do it.

Yeah. Us blowing anyone out 33-6 is freaking amazing right now. Don't know how that's debatable. Especially in the first game with an interim HC. Still doubt it's ever even been done. Belittling accomplishments of any kind in this day and age of NT football just doesn't process with me.

And to answer your sarcasm, yes, it's amazing a footlong sweet onion chicken teriyaki is 5 bucks.

• Downvote 1

And to answer your sarcasm, yes, it's amazing a footlong sweet onion chicken teriyaki is 5 bucks.

I am sure if I asked a WKU (that thinks like you), beating a bad ULL team was MAASSSIVE. But in reality, it was one game against another bad team, and they came out on top and perhaps it is bigger to WKU, since they rarely beat anyone. We, however, always beat WKU. That is not massive, nor amazing.

Whether or not UNT's victory against a 1 win team, which it has never lost to, in a season that it fired its head coach, against an opponent which the previous head coach is undefeated -- is history making? I couldn't care less. That is a terrible thing to count as "Amazing Fact(s)" or historical.

It is a win. A win I am happy about. We didn't beat Notre Dame. We beat a team we always beat.

Also, the sweet onion soy sauce chicken sub is not $5.

http://www.subway.co...C=ENG&MenuID=35

Just details I guess.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin