I Got A Good Feeling About This

oldguystudent

Guest MeanGreenHomer

He has the right person in place in every other sport, so you would have to think he will find a worth candidate. I still think Dodge was a good hire, the man just had some terrible luck. He gave this program character and class and the wins will arrive soon. I really hope we are bowl bound by 2013, that would be great.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

He has the right person in place in every other sport, so you would have to think he will find a worth candidate. I still think Dodge was a good hire, the man just had some terrible luck. He gave this program character and class and the wins will arrive soon. I really hope we are bowl bound by 2013, that would be great.

If you think Dodge was a good hire, you're gonna think RV hits this one out of the PARK!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If you think Dodge was a good hire, you're gonna think RV hits this one out of the PARK!!!!!!

Dodge was a good hire in that 1) we have a fine new stadium under construction, 2) we have the full complement of scholarships in football, 3) we no longer have a drug problem and 4) he had love and respect for the University of North Texas.

Had he not pushed for the stadium I don't think that we would have it today. We lost 15 scholarships during the first three years of his tenure and now academics is a plus. He was able to get the drug problem corrected (allegedly more than 20 users) without having to identify any abusers. I believe that his love and respect for North Texas helped keep attendance up in spite of perhaps the worst won/loss record in FBS history.

• Upvote 4

Dodge was a good hire in that 1) we have a fine new stadium under construction, 2) we have the full complement of scholarships in football, 3) we no longer have a drug problem and 4) he had love and respect for the University of North Texas.

Had he not pushed for the stadium I don't think that we would have it today. We lost 15 scholarships during the first three years of his tenure and now academics is a plus. He was able to get the drug problem corrected (allegedly more than 20 users) without having to identify any abusers. I believe that his love and respect for North Texas helped keep attendance up in spite of perhaps the worst won/loss record in FBS history.

If you actually think that we don't have a new stadium without Dodge, then, well, we agree to disagree. And if you think attendance stayed up because of Dodge and not because we suddenly allowed tailgating and totally changed the gameday atmosphere, then again, agree to disagree. I think attendance stayed decent IN SPITE of Dodge. Didn't hear a whole lot of good things said about him around the tailgate and in the stands after the first year or so, know what I mean?

I don't have specific numbers on grades, but as to the drug thing - weren't the most high profile names that came out (in some specific cases) Dodge recruits? And I don't recall previous teams at NT being exactly like Miami in the 80's, and don't care to paint them with that brush.

There isn't a university at any level in any sport that would consider a tenure identical to Dodge's a "good hire" or anything short of the polar opposite of that. Then again, we're North Texas.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

If you actually think that we don't have a new stadium without Dodge, then, well, we agree to disagree. And if you think attendance stayed up because of Dodge and not because we suddenly allowed tailgating and totally changed the gameday atmosphere, then again, agree to disagree. I think attendance stayed decent IN SPITE of Dodge. Didn't hear a whole lot of good things said about him around the tailgate and in the stands after the first year or so, know what I mean?

I don't have specific numbers on grades, but as to the drug thing - weren't the most high profile names that came out (in some specific cases) Dodge recruits? And I don't recall previous teams at NT being exactly like Miami in the 80's, and don't care to paint them with that brush.

There isn't a university at any level in any sport that would consider a tenure identical to Dodge's a "good hire" or anything short of the polar opposite of that. Then again, we're North Texas.

You sir are delusional if you think Dodge had nothing to do with those. He was put in charge of cleaning up after Dickey, which was no easy task.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You sir are delusional if you think Dodge had nothing to do with those. He was put in charge of cleaning up after Dickey, which was no easy task.

I thought he was put in charge of coaching a college football team to some level of success. If you're right, and he still got fired, maybe he didn't clean up Big Bad Darrell's mess too well?

Okay. So, to clarify, Dodge took over a team with rampant drug use and cleaned it up, yes? Also, to make sure I understand, you're saying Dodge was one of the major factors in getting the stadium built and that Dodge was the reason attendance is decent... and finally, since I'm delusional, that must mean that you disagree with my main point and believe firmly that Dodge was a "good hire", correct?

Does this make Sam Dibrell a "good recruit"?

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Jack, I hope you don't mind that I enlarged the letters to your thoughts.

And for those who didn't realize what TDodge truly inherited his first year--you do now.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Unbelievable, Dodge good hire!!! Are you serious?!!! Clean up Dickey's mess? Maybe there was a mess in areas, but what was Dodge's record compared to DD's? How many SunBelt Championships did Dodge have at UNT? How many NCAA National Rushing leaders did Dodge produce? For all of Darrel Dickey's shortcomings if he didn't care about winning I'm sure he wouldn't have felt the stress associated with job to have contracted severe health issues and ultimately a hart attack!!! At least Dodge didn't have a hart attack!! Point is all of this Dodge great hire white knight stuff, and DD worthless evil troll who didn't do anything here except kill our beloved program his laughable.

Coaching at UNT is difficult endeavor and wish Dodge would have done better, but to kick the ghost of Dickey around is like President Obama continuing to blame President Bush for all that wrong in the world. Truth is Dickey probably had an ultimatum from RV too, but produced and we went to bowl game with a losing record.

Further DD had the good sense not to hire a bunch of HS coach which is the real reason UNT football is having to come from light years down in recruiting and so many other areas. OH, much is made about DD and the fans and I can't defend his actions so he could have done better. Dodge had his issues with the media when he came here and the media is how most fans get information about the program, so I question the continual bashing of the ghost of DD.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I simply pointed out four areas where I thought that Todd Dodge did a credible job.

Winning is the main thing and it cost Dodge his job because he couldn't do it. But, there were other areas of building a winning program where he did quite well.

Did you see any signs of an undercurrent to build a stadium before Dodge complained that he had been "promised" a new stadium before he signed on? It was my observation that nothing happened before that statement. I think that Flyer probably had more to do with the success of getting the students to agree to the athletic fee than any other individual so maybe he can clarify the timeline. I felt that he had a hard time getting higher caliber recruits with the albatross known as Fouts Field.

Yes, those guilty of using drugs came from both the holdovers and Dodge's recruits. In fact, the only one who left because he wouldn't submit to a drug test was one of Dodge's recruits. The fact is drug usage is a cancer that can destroy a team and it had to be cleaned up first before a program can become successful.

I don't think that there's any argument that Dodge cleaned up the APR during his time here. It's another area that continually affects the quality and depth of the squad because it makes it even harder to work with five less scholarships a year.

The attendance was purely speculation on my part. Tailgating may have played a part in keeping the attendance up but not that much in my opinion. There was tailgating during the Dickey years and attendance continued to drop when the quality of the team dropped. If you believed this board there were a lot that stayed in the tailgate area and never entered the stadium, yet the attendance held steady at 18,000+. I think that it was in part because Todd did not alienate the fans and partly because we felt that he was close to turning the corner (which he never did).

"Good Hire" is subjective. If he had won but had an underlying drug culture that wouldn't go to class and continued to play in a crappy stadium would you say that was a good hire?

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I simply pointed out four areas where I thought that Todd Dodge did a credible job.

Winning is the main thing and it cost Dodge his job because he couldn't do it. But, there were other areas of building a winning program where he did quite well.

Did you see any signs of an undercurrent to build a stadium before Dodge complained that he had been "promised" a new stadium before he signed on? It was my observation that nothing happened before that statement. I think that Flyer probably had more to do with the success of getting the students to agree to the athletic fee than any other individual so maybe he can clarify the timeline. I felt that he had a hard time getting higher caliber recruits with the albatross known as Fouts Field.

Yes, those guilty of using drugs came from both the holdovers and Dodge's recruits. In fact, the only one who left because he wouldn't submit to a drug test was one of Dodge's recruits. The fact is drug usage is a cancer that can destroy a team and it had to be cleaned up first before a program can become successful.

I don't think that there's any argument that Dodge cleaned up the APR during his time here. It's another area that continually affects the quality and depth of the squad because it makes it even harder to work with five less scholarships a year.

The attendance was purely speculation on my part. Tailgating may have played a part in keeping the attendance up but not that much in my opinion. There was tailgating during the Dickey years and attendance continued to drop when the quality of the team dropped. If you believed this board there were a lot that stayed in the tailgate area and never entered the stadium, yet the attendance held steady at 18,000+. I think that it was in part because Todd did not alienate the fans and partly because we felt that he was close to turning the corner (which he never did).

"Good Hire" is subjective. If he had won but had an underlying drug culture that wouldn't go to class and continued to play in a crappy stadium would you say that was a good hire?

I know what you mean; I thought until the weekend I went to the FIU game on homecoming weekend that we'd figure out a way to win. Once, I followed someone with their right turn signal on for what must have been 20 miles once; I finally had to turn off, but until then, I really thought they would "turn a corner". I guess they were like the driver George Carlin once described as "driving around the world".

Hindsight is always 20/20. Sit in RV's seat awhile and try the best you can to make the right call for UNT. It is no easy job and you have lots of "experts" looking over your shoulder. Check out some stats from some reported great hires out of the Big East that were reported in today's Wall Street Journal if you think it is easy "making the right hire".

Coach/Big East School Next Job Record at New Job

Mark Dantonio/Cinn Mich. St. 30-17

Paul Hackett/Pitt USC 19-18

Walt Harris/Pitt Stanford 6-17

Brian Kelly/Cinn N. Dame 4-4

Bobby Petrino/Louisville Ark 18-14

Rich Rodriquez/ W. VA Mich 13-18

The jury is still out on some of these guys like Kelly and Petrino, but this does point to the fact that "getting it right" in hiring a HC is not and exact science and hiring a big time name does not "guarantee" any level of success or how fast that success may or may not come at the next school. Always easy to evaluate a decision after the fact...getting it right in the first place is a much harder proposition.

Jack, it might be that Coach Dodge kept people's hope up enough that they kept coming back for three years, but I don't think that that is the case this year.

Dodge may have caused the stadium issue to move more to the "front page" because he mentioned it early in his tenure. But I give more credit to UNT

FLYER and his fellow pro-stadium SGA members for making the stadium happen through their hard work in bringing about a successful student vote on the stadium. We may have some big doners lined up for the stadium, but I'm guessing that they didn't make their final commitment until after the results of the student vote were known.

To me, getting that student vote on the ballot, and seeing it through to a successful conclusion, is one of the biggest accomplishments for athletics since we hired Hayden Fry to coach (and start a culture change) at North Texas.

• Upvote 1

Unbelievable, Dodge good hire!!! Are you serious?!!! Clean up Dickey's mess? Maybe there was a mess in areas, but what was Dodge's record compared to DD's? How many SunBelt Championships did Dodge have at UNT? How many NCAA National Rushing leaders did Dodge produce? For all of Darrel Dickey's shortcomings if he didn't care about winning I'm sure he wouldn't have felt the stress associated with job to have contracted severe health issues and ultimately a hart attack!!! At least Dodge didn't have a hart attack!! Point is all of this Dodge great hire white knight stuff, and DD worthless evil troll who didn't do anything here except kill our beloved program his laughable.

Coaching at UNT is difficult endeavor and wish Dodge would have done better, but to kick the ghost of Dickey around is like President Obama continuing to blame President Bush for all that wrong in the world. Truth is Dickey probably had an ultimatum from RV too, but produced and we went to bowl game with a losing record.

Further DD had the good sense not to hire a bunch of HS coach which is the real reason UNT football is having to come from light years down in recruiting and so many other areas. OH, much is made about DD and the fans and I can't defend his actions so he could have done better. Dodge had his issues with the media when he came here and the media is how most fans get information about the program, so I question the continual bashing of the ghost of DD.

Hart attacked DD? :o Was that Gary Hart the politician, http://www.google.com/search?q=Gary+Hart&hl=en or Gary Hart the wrestler? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Hart_(wrestler)

I still think Dodge was a good hire, the man just had some terrible luck.

One of the things I liked about Jimmy Johnson's coaching was that he rejected bad luck and other excuses for losing. You make your own luck. Dodge never won more than two games a season here, and he didn't have excessive injuries in seasons one to three. It can't all be blamed on luck.

Eyed gess taht smokng cntru conbutd kontributed leaded two hart as whale.

Edited by GreenMachine

Thanks for joining the discussion, let me bring you up to speed:

What was DD's record?

What was his OOC record?

How good was the SBC at the time?

What did DD say about the facilities?

What did DD say about the University?

What did DD say about the fans?

I thank DD for what he did, and think that he reached his potential here. But Dodge was a good hire because of the buzz it generated with the fanbase, the class he showed, and the improvement of the overall program. Unfortunately, he could not produce on the field.

Hart attacked DD? :o Was that Gary Hart the politician, http://www.google.com/search?q=Gary+Hart&hl=en or Gary Hart the wrestler? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Hart_(wrestler)

I think it was Hart the music group.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3