Interim Head Coach?

G123unt

Unfotunately we all know that the death row sentence has been set for TD, and at seasons end he will not be the HC any longer. Why not do it now and see what Coach Canales can do.

Experience:

BYU (Lavell Edwards)

NC State (Chuck Amato- Bobby Bowden Tree)

New York Jets (Herm Edwards- Tony Dungy Tree)

Arizona (Mike Stoops- Bob Stoops Tree)

South Florida (Jim Leavvit- Snyder Tree)

Recruiting areas in the country:

California

Arizona

Florida

Georgia

Alabama

Louisiana

North Carolina

East & West Texas

(Maybe More, Just look off commits from Rivals)

Time at UNT:

(2) 400+ yard TTL offense games.

Most important Fact:

Coach Canales has been able to get the gets ready to compete in every game (Except Army) with 12 offensive injuries, #1,#2 QB & Center out for season. Dealing with a death on the team, and still implementing a offense gameplan to keep us competing.

No matter who you are if you can still get kids to believe that they can win after all of that, you have to be a good coach.

Why not roll the dice and see what happens the rest of the year??

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 12

Unfotunately we all know that the death row sentence has been set for TD, and at seasons end he will not be the HC any longer. Why not do it now and see what Coach Canales can do.

Experience:

BYU (Lavell Edwards)

California

Arizona

Florida

Georgia

Alabama

Louisiana

North Carolina

East & West Texas

Time at UNT:

Most important Fact:

Coach Canales has been able to get the gets ready to compete in every game (Except Army) with 12 offensive injuries, #1,#2 QB & Center out for season. Dealing with a death on the team, and still implementing a offense gameplan to keep us competing.

No matter who you are if you can still get kids to believe that they can win after all of that, you have to be a good coach.

agree...give TD next week, if he doesn't win....bye bye....give canales a chance to show us what he can do with whats not broke (ie players) and let the fans and supporters know it will not be the same old hat at UNT as has been the case FOREVER....otherwise...get behind the Cornhuskers !!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Experience:

BYU (Lavell Edwards)

California

Arizona

Florida

Georgia

Alabama

Louisiana

North Carolina

East & West Texas

Time at UNT:

Most important Fact:

Canales has to go to, Dodge at this point deserves the whole year regardless. I wouldn't have said that 3 weeks ago but after this fluke year and the heart the team showed on Saturday he should be able to coach out the year. Fire him in November and get the job posted.

No interim coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Canales has to go to, Dodge at this point deserves the whole year regardless. I wouldn't have said that 3 weeks ago but after this fluke year and the heart the team showed on Saturday he should be able to coach out the year. Fire him in November and get the job posted.

No interim coach.

Dodge at this point deserves the whole year regardless

TD deserves the door, like he should have been given 2 yrs ago...in fact, he shouldn't have even been hired...and ps...I like the guy, just not as the HC at UNT.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There are others who are in this boat as well... Let's hear from all of you. The lines are open!

Most important Fact:

Video #1: Passion for UNT, Gets Players Excited....

Video #2: He is a teacher, he teaches, he doesnt yell.

There are my reasons......

• Upvote 2

Most important Fact:

couldnt agree more... great post and thank you for sharing those great videos with the boards

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Most important Fact:

You mean all four of them? That's a really long track record you are counting on to be your yardstick for success...and how many of the five games he has coached for UNT has he won? Not saying "no" to Coach Canales, just want folks to "tap the breaks" a bit before anointing him the "next great thing". I haven't seen enough at UNT as yet, nor enough from his past body of work to be so certain he "is the guy".

Most important Fact:

And Video #3:

HE IS A POSTIVE COACH!!

#1 might be debatable, but don't you think all those things could be said about Todd Dodge? And I'm sure if I looked, I could find a video of Coach Dodge getting the players fired up.

Look, I really like Coach Canales. And I think he was a great find at OC, especially given the uncertainty of whether or not the coach who brought him aboard would be here the following season. But, to my knowledge, he has never been a head coach at any level, and has had mixed success in his limited time at OC. While the offense has certainly shown more versatility this season, it has not shown much more productivity. He has done his best work strictly as a position coach. Could he make it work as HC? Maybe. But if (and we should still say if) the Todd Dodge era ends after this season, do we really want to go the whole "he's unproven, but got potential (we think)" route again?

I really didn't want to enter the whole coaching search conversation until the coaching search actually begins, but I am not convinced Coach Canales would accomplish significantly more as head coach than Coach Dodge has.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

NO NO NO NO NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER!!!!!

Why why why why???

I am not saying lets name him the Head Coach... lets just give him a shot since we know Dodge is going to be let go. Lets see what happens when he takes over.

What do we have to lose? Lets see what the man can do.

• Downvote 3

Why why why why???

I am not saying lets name him the Head Coach... lets just give him a shot since we know Dodge is going to be let go. Lets see what happens when he takes over.

What do we have to lose? Lets see what the man can do.

I don't have anything against Canales but what has he done to deserve it? Why give it to Canales when we can give it Deloach if we are going to go that route? This thing is broke no matter what. Clean slate is necessary for this program to come back to some sort of respectability.