In Game Conversation

All About UNT

I think alot of you who are saying that you wouldn't mind the coaching staff going for the 2pt conversion, missing, and being ok with it are completely full of it.

To me, it was a no-brainer. You get your points and you take your chances in OT. I know the kicking game is atrocious, but he didn't miss the other 3 PAT's tonight...Why think he would miss that one? We had the momentum at the time, so you go into overtime and win it there.

Then, boom. Just a total kick in the nads.

THE TEAM (players & coaches) should shoulder this loss. There were plenty of mistakes to go around. You can't point the finger at any one person (coach or player).

Agree.

Really, I would rather have lost going for the win than deal another heartbreaking OT loss due to coaching blunders. Put Riley and Dunbar in the Wildcat and they were tearing it up the entire 4th Quarter. What else do we have to lose? We look incompetent now that we can not even kick an XP. Feel horrible for the WR, Riley and Dunbar.

that's f'n stupid! if he would have gone for two with a kicker that was 11/11 in extra points most people would have flipped their shit...me included. we proved to be the better offense all night. they scored on 2 long plays, a defensive play and a drive that was prolonged by our penalty. if we got it to overtime, then we win. their coaching was pretty bad by the way, they made a lot of dumb decisions, especially in play calling at the end of the game.

Edited by Green Crazy

All this go-for-2 talk is nuts. If Dodge had done that and we failed, he and UNT would be a national laughingstock in the media. We had all the momentum going into overtime after scoring two touchdowns. Our kicker was not injured. We were at home. No coach would go for 2 in that situation.

• Upvote 1

I beg to disagree. Last year's games were just as close.

We still lost by 24 to Troy and 27 to Louisiana-Monroe last year. In Dodge's first two years, we lost 10 games by 30 points or more, including games to Florida International, Troy (twice), Middle Tennessee State and Florida Atlantic. It is the worst run in school history, which is why he entered this year needing 7 wins.

All this go-for-2 talk is nuts. If Dodge had done that and we failed, he and UNT would be a national laughingstock in the media. We had all the momentum going into overtime after scoring two touchdowns. Our kicker was not injured. We were at home. No coach would go for 2 in that situation.

PATs are far from a sure thing with this team. I never count on them being good. I always hold my breath when we're lining up for FGs/PATs cause over the past 4 years we have been so inconsistent. I wasn't shocked it was blocked. I was disappointed that was how we were going to lose the game though.

Considering Dodge's job is on the line, going for 1 is the "safe" thing to do, but how safe is it when you've always had problems with blocked PATs throughout your tenure? To me, going for 2 would have been a display of playing to win the damn game. Going for 1 is playing not to lose, and guess what? We lost.

Edited by UNTFan23

PATs are far from a sure thing with this team. I never count on them being good. I always hold my breath when we're lining up for FGs/PATs cause over the past 4 years we have been so inconsistent. I wasn't shocked it was blocked. I was disappointed that was how we were going to lose the game though.

Considering Dodge's job is on the line, going for 1 is the "safe" thing to do, but how safe is it when you've always had problems with blocked PATs throughout your tenure? To me, going for 2 would have been a display of playing to win the damn game. Going for 1 is playing not to lose, and guess what? We lost.

deans was 11 for 11 up to that point. so, it's been a sure thing all year...going for two is a 50/50 chance at best. this argument would make more sense if it's the same situation next week.

deans was 11 for 11 up to that point. so, it's been a sure thing all year...going for two is a 50/50 chance at best. this argument would make more sense if it's the same situation next week.

And based on summer drills, it was only a matter of time before a PAT was missed/blocked. PATs for this team are far from automatic.

No. We're a bad team, but the media hasn't been feasting on us this year because we're not losing as badly as we did in Dodge's previous seasons.

Just because the media isn't feasting on us it doesn't mean we are a laughing stock. The truth is that we are so bad that the media doesn't even bother to comment on us and I don't blame them. If you don't think we're a laughing stock right now then I am not sure what NT football you have been seeing the last 6 years. If you ask me we are more of a laughing stock now because we couldn't make a damn extra point to tie the game at home.

And based on summer drills, it was only a matter of time before a PAT was missed/blocked. PATs for this team are far from automatic.

So . . . your argument is "Since Zach Olen and Jose Serrano both were terrible kicking field goals/PATs during summer drills, Trent Deans was guaranteed to miss his 4th extra point attempt of his 5th game."

Makes sense.

So . . . your argument is "Since Zach Olen and Jose Serrano both were terrible kicking field goals/PATs during summer drills, Trent Deans was guaranteed to miss his 4th extra point attempt of his 5th game."

Makes sense.

I think he meant the protection issues.

• Downvote 1