105.3 The Fan Bad Mouthing Unt

MeanGreenEagle1

Sports talk radio is a medium of extremes...

Most hosts don't have the talent or the inclination to talk about subjects that are not either clearly negative or clearly positive...

If UNT were to go 6-6 this season, you wouldn't hear word one about them... Nothing... Too dull...

As long as UNT's football program is struggling, then they are an easy target for jokes, and since the hosts don't really have the talent to come up with clever material they will stick with picking on the downtrodden... Bottom 10 type of stuff...

On the flip side, if UNT were to go 12-0 in an upcoming season and get noticed on the national level the hosts would use that as a springboard to discuss the failings of the BCS, the bowl system, blah blah... Belle of the Ball and all that...

Anyone remember how much air time or press coverage TCU got prior to Dennis Franchione...?? Try none... Not even in Ft. Worth...

After the Death Penalty SMU was a total joke and was treated as such... Right now they are barely relevant and you hear very little about them...

When they turn the corner and start beating the TCU's they will be media darlings...

I agree that local media outlets should show some loyalty and responsibility by at the very least mentioning local teams...

105.3's ommission of a game score for the weekend is cheap and unprofessional...

I never worry too much about the kind of coverage my teams get, local or not...

The quality of coverage will be in direct correlation to their relevance...

Right now UNT isn't relevant and is down...

I beleieve the program is on the rise and soon enough there will be a load of people looking for a spot on the bandwagon...

Edited by McKinneyMiner
  • Upvote 1

Sports talk radio is a medium of extremes...

Most hosts don't have the talent or the inclination to talk about subjects that are not either clearly negative or clearly positive...

If UNT were to go 6-6 this season, you wouldn't hear word one about them... Nothing... Too dull...

As long as UNT's football program is struggling, then they are an easy target for jokes, and since the hosts don't really have the talent to come up with clever material they will stick with picking on the downtrodden... Bottom 10 type of stuff...

On the flip side, if UNT were to go 12-0 in an upcoming season and get noticed on the national level the hosts would use that as a springboard to discuss the failings of the BCS, the bowl system, blah blah... Belle of the Ball and all that...

Anyone remember how much air time or press coverage TCU got prior to Dennis Franchione...?? Try none... Not even in Ft. Worth...

After the Death Penalty SMU was a total joke and was treated as such... Right now they are barely relevant and you hear very little about them...

When they turn the corner and start beating the TCU's they will be media darlings...

I agree that local media outlets should show some loyalty and responsibility by at the very least mentioning local teams...

105.3's ommission of a game score for the weekend is cheap and unprofessional...

I never worry too about the kind of coverage my teams get, local or not...

The quality of coverage will be in direct correlation to their relevance...

Right now UNT isn't relevant and is down...

I beleieve the program is on the rise and soon enough there will be a load of people looking for a spot on the bandwagon...

I count 14 hot take text messages in this post. LOCK IT!

• Upvote 1

I don't really care too much about thisn pitiful radio station running us down, but it does bring up the real problem in that, due to our location, we get very little interest down in the Metroplex media becasue we are in Denton and they only care about Big Xii schools first, then other BCS schools next, then the local private schools, and if there is time left, oh yeah, that teachers' college played someone. It really is difficult to imagine how you get past this since those media outlets don't care much for non-AQ football (exception being TCUs ascendency). You can say, "Winning will cure this", but it really doesn't, as we saw during the SBC Championship years. Most of the media just ignored us, said the conference was just glorified Texas High School football, and that DD would probably leave as soon as he got the chance. I just don't see how a new stadium and winning again in the SBC is going to change that lack of respect.

I go back to this, but earlier this year, we beat UTA in a great basketball game in Arlington. Easily, UNT and UTA are the two best local hoops teams and have been for a while. We won in double OT. Afterwards, there was not one single video clip of that game on one of the local TV sports stations. That game was in Arlington, too, so there wasn't any reason to blame the traffic or distance. It is just an example of what we deal with the DFW media.

• Upvote 1

The Fan surely sucks. But, The Ticket doesn't exactly give us much time either.

This morning Jub squeezed in a few seconds in reporting our win over FAU while he and Craig did their weekly college football review. He didn't pump it up too much, if at all. And, he, of all people, should be the one trying to build excitement about the program. They may have spent 10 or 15 seconds...and most of that was reviewing the fact that Dodge has only won six games in four seasons.

In reality, none of the stations are going to respect us until we do something, like win with consistency over a period of many seasons. Jub did devote some time to speaking about how amazing the rise of Boise State has been from I-AA to Big West to national power.

The bottom line is, has been, always will be, for any school - win and win consistently, you get good press. Lose and lose consistently, you're an afterthought or punchline.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

You can say, "Winning will cure this", but it really doesn't, as we saw during the SBC Championship years. Most of the media just ignored us, said the conference was just glorified Texas High School football, and that DD would probably leave as soon as he got the chance. I just don't see how a new stadium and winning again in the SBC is going to change that lack of respect.

Winning the SBC will do nothing to correct this...

The ONLY thing that will correct this is getting some national profile wins and having big time winning seasons in the mix...

If UNT were known as a very difficult team to handle either at home or on the road regardless of opponent, the respect would come... Not that easy to accomplish...

There are some teams other than Boise St. and TCU that have that cache... Fresno St. comes to mind...

Fresno St. isn't the greatest program in the world, but they have a TON of signature wins against BCS conference schools in the last 20 years... They aren't on the level of a Boise or TCU, but they are nobody's joke either...

Marshall used to have a similar mystique though they are down now...

Once a program establishes itself within its own conference it can go headhunting for lower BCS teams and eventually try and break through against the big boys...

• Upvote 2

It amazes me that the Fan is all about trying to boost ratings through fan participation though texts, calls, and instant feed back, but then they alienate a large fan base by trashing on a local University, (the largest local University)!! They will never even get close to The Ticket by doing that, just one more of many reasons The Ticket is better, they support local teams and sports. They don't rag on UNT or the Stars, sure they will make jokes at UNT's expense but they do that will every team, and with the way the Mean Green have played over the years who can blame them, but to say that we should drop football, what dumbass said that? Im glad Greggo is back on the air and his show is ok and I will listen but the Morning show and the afternoon show and that night time show with that blow hard Arnie ragging on UNT while we just made the tourny no less, well they need to do alittle more research and know there fan base.

"Were having fun here, no?"

Fresno St. isn't the greatest program in the world, but they have a TON of signature wins against BCS conference schools in the last 20 years... They aren't on the level of a Boise or TCU, but they are nobody's joke either...

Hey, Fresno State's problem became this - no one wanted to schedule them at home or on the road after they started taking down the big boys in the early 2000s.

I feel for Pat Hill at Fresno. He worked hard to get his program to a winning level, then no one would play them. Boise State may find the same problem.

Hell, look at the out of conference schedules, the major powers pretty much duck each others. Everyone is afraid to lose because there isn't a playoff: one loss and you're out of the national title hunt; one loss to a non-BCS, and you pretty much kiss away the chance of going to a major bowl even if you win the rest.

• Upvote 1

Winning the SBC will do nothing to correct this...

The ONLY thing that will correct this is getting some national profile wins and having big time winning seasons in the mix...

If UNT were known as a very difficult team to handle either at home or on the road regardless of opponent, the respect would come... Not that easy to accomplish...

There are some teams other than Boise St. and TCU that have that cache... Fresno St. comes to mind...

Marshall used to have a similar mystique though they are down now...

Once a program establishes itself within its own conference it can go headhunting for lower BCS teams and eventually try and break through against the big boys...

What you are saying is so true and is why Boise State (as in my long-winded signature below) has been the model I had hoped UNT would follow even in our Big West days when BSU and UNT were conference mates. Back then you knew they were on to something that would grow their program while we kept going "that other direction" with ours. ;)

Of course, many of us on this board & beyond were suggesting to UNT administration 25 years ago what kind of effect a new major college-type football stadium in Denton would have as far as "warp-speeding" this football program forward and to get us out of the Fouts Field albatross that was killing any chances we had with the DFW media (and our alums) in trying to convince them all we were truly being serious about a future in NCAA D1 football.

FWIW...the DFW media up till next Fall with our new stadium debut has had every right to question our seriousness about our wanting Mean Green football to be an upwardly bound program. UNT leaders in the past never realized it was the stadium & positive recruiting results that would come from such which got you in the nicer conference neighborhoods. We could have built a new stadium 25 years ago for about $15-18 million dollars (give or take) :rolleyes: as you look at the price of SMU's $42 million built just 3-4 years ago.

Its been a roller coaster ride of biblical proportions at UNT and all one has to do is point their finger at venerable ol' Fouts Field as the major reason for that. One UNT BOR said there might be tears at its final game, but with this alum there will be nothing but....IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME & WHEN WILL THE IMPLOSION CEREMONY FOR FOUTS FIELD BE?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Hey, Fresno State's problem became this - no one wanted to schedule them at home or on the road after they started taking down the big boys in the early 2000s.

You are exactly right... And the only reason it hasn't happened to Boise St. yet is that they are willing to play on the road against anybody without the promise of a return game on the Smurf Turf...

Pat Hill rightfully thought that Fresno St. had earned the right to host some of the big schools in the Valley after they had gone on the road and whipped them... He couldn't have been more wrong...

The only thing that earned him was the right to move up in competition (against the Ohio St's of the world) and remain a road dog...

Boise has continued to be willing to travel to play big teams and they are smart for doing it...

I am more familar with this in basketball where in the 80's and 90's UTEP had a string of huge wins in El Paso against top ranked teams like Indiana, Georgetown, Alabama, Auburn, Texas and others... They would give those schools a 2 for 1 and it worked out...

Pretty soon, though, no one wanted to travel to El Paso for any reason or any gurantee... Too dangerous...

About the only way to continue this is to remain willing to always play at least one marquee game on the road...

Boise will be doing this until they can break into a BCS conference...

I feel for Pat Hill at Fresno. He worked hard to get his program to a winning level, then no one would play them. Boise State may find the same problem.

Hell, look at the out of conference schedules, the major powers pretty much duck each others. Everyone is afraid to lose because there isn't a playoff: one loss and you're out of the national title hunt; one loss to a non-BCS, and you pretty much kiss away the chance of going to a major bowl even if you win the rest.

Agree...

And with UNT football "very" down at the moment is the very reason AD Rick V needs to start stock-piling or even over-loading our future OOC schedules with home and homes versus Top 25 programs; or even 3 there and 1 in Denton with some of that group. Much easier to do that now than when we turn our cycle back to winning, but if we are not winning at the highest level a la Boise State, then IMHO we have just wasted a whole bunch of money on what looks like will be one helluva' big time looking new football stadium at the Mean Green Village.

And...the SBC needs to very soon get one of its schools in the Top 25 and we all know which school we'd prefer that be. (Didn't even the "MAC" have one of its own in the Top 25 in recent years)?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

What you are saying is so true and is why Boise State (as in my long-winded signature below) has been the model I had hoped UNT would follow even in our Big West days when BSU and UNT were conference mates. Back then you knew they were on to something that would grow their program while we kept going "that other direction" with ours. ;)

Of course, many of us on this board & beyond were suggesting to UNT administration 25 years ago what kind of effect a new major college-type football stadium in Denton would have as far as "warp-speeding" this football program forward and to get us out of the Fouts Field albatross that was killing any chances we had with the DFW media (and our alums) in trying to convince them all we were truly being serious about a future in NCAA D1 football.

FWIW...the DFW media up till next Fall with our new stadium debut has had every right to question our seriousness about our wanting Mean Green football to be an upwardly bound program. UNT leaders in the past never realized it was the stadium & positive recruiting results that would come from such which got you in the nicer conference neighborhoods. We could have built a new stadium 25 years ago for about $15-18 million dollars (give or take) :rolleyes: as you look at the price of SMU's $42 million built just 3-4 years ago.

Its been a roller coaster ride of biblical proportions at UNT and all one has to do is point their finger at venerable ol' Fouts Field as the major reason for that. One UNT BOR said there might be tears at its final game, but with this alum there will be nothing but....IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME & WHEN WILL THE IMPLOSION CEREMONY FOR FOUTS FIELD BE?

GMG!

Not to take away from your post's great points....but just an FYI....Ford Field opened 10 Yrs ago this month. :ph34r:

Not to take away from your post's great points....but just an FYI....Ford Field opened 10 Yrs ago this month. :ph34r:

My real, real bad on that timeline...

Jeez, I honestly didn't know it had been 10 years already; but the last 10 years have passed quickly for me to the extent that I will turn 60 three days before the KSU game at Fouts. Damn! 10 years for Ford? Of course, I just don't keep up with SMU that much to recall that number but.... that now makes me think age 70 could come in the next 10 minutes or so for me! Life is just a blip on the screen it seems sometimes. :blink:

10 years? Thanks for that correction, sir.

GMG!

And...the SBC needs to very soon get one of its schools in the Top 25 and we all know which school we'd prefer that be. (Didn't even the "MAC" have one of its own in the Top 25 in recent years)?

The team our beloved Mean Green started off last season beating in Muncie, Indiana was ranked as high as #12 in the BCS in 2008 before losing a bizarre game to Buffalo in the MAC Championship Game and then tanking in their bowl game...

In 2002 Marshall, before moving to C-USA was ranked #24 in the final poll...