Is Riley Still Our Quarterback?

MeanGreenZen

I keep reading notes that Riley is getting more and more reps at quarterback. Canales is mentioning him among the candidates for the position. Did Todd Dodge switch his position last spring just to give his arm a rest and to get Thompson more reps to see if he can handle it? With all the pressure to win as a coach, and as a father who wants to give his son every chance to succeed at the highest level possible, is Todd Dodge really committed to playing Riley at wide receiver? I suspect there is a lot going on here behind the scenes. My bet is that Todd will give Riley every chance in the world to prove he can be our every-down quarterback.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

Our starting QB should be the best person qualified. If Riley somehow makes a late run at the position and is the best we have, then I have no problem with him starting.

My guess is that we will see a lot of Riley as a wildcat type of QB this year. But, I still think that Thompson or Tune will be the starter.

It's a good position to be in, if Riley's arm/shoulder is healing up nicely.

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE HOME OPENER !

I keep reading notes that Riley is getting more and more reps at quarterback. Canales is mentioning him among the candidates for the position. But nobody is talking about this. Did Todd Dodge switch his position last spring just to give his arm a rest and to get Thompson more reps to see if he can handle it. With all the pressure to win as a coach, and as a father who wants to give his son every chance to succeed at the highest level possible, is Todd Dodge really committed to playing Riley at wide receiver? I suspect there is a lot going on here behind the scenes. My bet is that Todd will give Riley every chance in the world to prove he can be our every-down quarterback.

Insurance...something it seems you know a good deal about. Insurance and opportunity to use an athlete at various positions. You may recall that both Riley and Nathan went down last season and it cost Thompson his red shirt year. TD has vowed to never let that happen again more than once in the press. makes sense to me to have a "back-up" that is ready to play in case that happens again. Plus, think of the different "looks" a team will have to plan for when playing the Mean Green this season. All good news...all good news and, in my opinion, no sinister behind the scenes plot to return Riley to the #1 QB role.

I keep reading notes that Riley is getting more and more reps at quarterback. Canales is mentioning him among the candidates for the position. But nobody is talking about this. Did Todd Dodge switch his position last spring just to give his arm a rest and to get Thompson more reps to see if he can handle it. With all the pressure to win as a coach, and as a father who wants to give his son every chance to succeed at the highest level possible, is Todd Dodge really committed to playing Riley at wide receiver? I suspect there is a lot going on here behind the scenes. My bet is that Todd will give Riley every chance in the world to prove he can be our every-down quarterback.

Todd said that Riley would be back at WR today. So I think he's just getting him ready for spot duty. I will say this, as a fan, if Derek and Nathan either don't cut it....or were to get hurt....I think Riley is easily our best 3rd option. So having him ready....is fine by me. And for the record....I think Derek and Nathan will both do well.

Todd said that Riley would be back at WR today. So I think he's just getting him ready for spot duty. I will say this, as a fan, if Derek and Nathan either don't cut it....or were to get hurt....I think Riley is easily our best 3rd option. So having him ready....is fine by me. And for the record....I think Derek and Nathan will both do well.

Yup, since we are thin at QB it makes sense to have Riley up to speed.

Edited by Will to Win

Seemed to me they have a package with him at QB, not a starting spot.

I agree but hypothetically speaking, what if Riley's arm is healing or healed? I mean it is possible isn't it? Supposing that Riley's arm healed and was 100%? I think that would change things. But even if his arm isn't completely healed I agree that he can help us in certain packages, especially in short yardage or in the red zone.

I agree but hypothetically speaking, what if Riley's arm is healing or healed? I mean it is possible isn't it? Supposing that Riley's arm healed and was 100%? I think that would change things. But even if his arm isn't completely healed I agree that he can help us in certain packages, especially in short yardage or in the red zone.

I think his arm is "healed", but not as strong/put together as it used to be. I think there is some things that will never be the same in such a way that he knows his is not going to make it to the NFL as a starter. But, he could play quite a bit here at the U.

I think Vito quoted TD at 10 snaps a game?

I think more than anything Canales is enamored with him especially the running game aspect of the zone read.

It should open things up with him in there if he can make some strong short range throws to keep the D honest thats spying him to run

Riley is not going to be our main QB. I see him just being a wrinkle in the offense. Having 2 quarterbacks helped Florida win a National Championship. If Riley can come in for a few plays every game and shake up the defense, Im all for it. But hell Im not a football coach so what do I know.

Edited by jtm0097
  • Upvote 1

Healed or not, he can't compete with Tune or Thompson on the deep ball.

But he is the ultimate wildcat QB.... fast as hell, with experience as a starter. That's why I never understood it when we ran wildcat plays last year.

Makes sense to get him some reps.

Thread hijack:

I keep reading that Dunbar will be under more pressure because Riley won't be present as a running threat. That's nuts. The deep ball will more than compensate. Not to mention Riley will still be on the field most of the time as a WR. Could be awesome.

Healed or not, he can't compete with Tune or Thompson on the deep ball.

But he is the ultimate wildcat QB.... fast as hell, with experience as a starter. That's why I never understood it when we ran wildcat plays last year.

Makes sense to get him some reps.

Thread hijack:

I keep reading that Dunbar will be under more pressure because Riley won't be present as a running threat. That's nuts. The deep ball will more than compensate. Not to mention Riley will still be on the field most of the time as a WR. Could be awesome.

I think the fear is that Dunbar got many many yards last year off of the zone read play. The zone read is definitely not going to work as well without Riley at QB and you would be nuts to disagree. However, I do agree with your assessment that the deep ball should provide a nice advantage to the disadvantage on the zone read. I think they cancel each other out. Expecting big things from Lance!

• Upvote 2

I think the fear is that Dunbar got many many yards last year off of the zone read play. The zone read is definitely not going to work as well without Riley at QB and you would be nuts to disagree. However, I do agree with your assessment that the deep ball should provide a nice advantage to the disadvantage on the zone read. I think they cancel each other out. Expecting big things from Lance!

You just NAILED it. Riley was a magician some times with the ball in the backfield. Maybe we should be running the wishbone with him (heh, heh just kidding).

So how many deep balls should we expect to be throwing a game this year guys? I'm guessing at least 30? And with Tune and Thomp's rocket laser cannon arms, none of them will be intercepted!!!! Plus, both of those guys are so tall and strong that they will never get hurt!!!! Its gonna be badass!!!!

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2

So how many deep balls should we expect to be throwing a game this year guys? I'm guessing at least 30? And with Tune and Thomp's rocket laser cannon arms, none of them will be intercepted!!!! Plus, both of those guys are so tall and strong that they will never get hurt!!!! Its gonna be badass!!!!

Hell ya! Cut Riley!