Pac-10 To Offer Invites To 6 Big-12 Schools

UNTflyer

This is insanity! Why is it so many times in the world of the NCAA people just always want to be where they ain't? wink.gif(The MWC or CUSA would still be nice, though, now wouldn't it)?

PS: Hello fellow North Texas Exes & Mean Greeners! DJ business is going fine. Even in this economy weddings seem to still be happening full throttle & that is 80% of our business).

Have a minute? huh.gif Take a dose of dramamine (if you get motion sickness from probably way too many animated gifs) & visit us at www.soundworksdeejay.com

(BTW, the new stadium is looking fabulous). clapping.gif

GMG!

Talk about a blast from the past. Glad to see you are doing well.

I posed the question of what would become of the four remaining Big XII teams in my previous post. The Kansas City Star: "Death to the Big XII" is asking the same questions. This isn't exactly what I had in mind, but it does propose a conference realignment, Heartland Conference, that includes several of the CUSA teams I mentioned. Unfortunately, North Texas is never discussed. Keep in mind, according to the author, the methodology of this new conference is largely based on the strength of the basketball programs, hence the inclusion of the basketball records in the chart below. Still, I question the presence of several, as well as the absence of several (mainly, Western Kentucky and North Texas)

HEARTLAND CONFERENCE

Picture2-6.png

Picture4-3.png

Humm, wow, the first shot...The Big 16? Implode the Big 12! :D

I hate that Tech may get a promotion out of this just by being the ugly sister of uT and A$M. How about Nebraska instead of Tech?

Humm, SEC meets Friday to discuss expansion. If the SEC had ideas about inviting an OU, A&M, et al it may start a bidding war for them Friday.

This could be fun to watch. Where does UNT end up? There will be scattered leftovers all throughout the midwest. We have to hope our location is a major plus for us to catch someone's eye! B)

College Football Conference Map to view the geography of potential new expansions:

http://southerncollegesports.com/football_location_map2.html

Edited by NT80

but it does propose a conference realignment, Heartland Conference... Keep in mind, according to the author, the methodology of this new conference is largely based on the strength of the basketball programs

Interesting, however conferences at the top level today are formed based on Football; basketball is a secondary consideration but primary revenue and TV rights are based on Football.

Expansion frenzy gets even crazier

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/22815/expansion-frenzy-gets-even-crazier

Colorado athletic director Mike Bohn told the Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera that his school and the other five are expecting overtures from the Pac-10.

"The longer that we were together in Kansas City it appeared that that rumor or speculation did have some validity to it," Bohn told the newspaper.

PAC 10 about to raid Big XII ?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100603/NEWS/306039776#barfknecht-pac-10-about-to-raid-the-big-12

The World-Herald learned Thursday evening of administrative discussion that the Pac-10 may have set a deadline of Sunday for Big 12 teams to accept. The Pac-10 spring meetings begin Friday in San Francisco.

Edited by MeanGreen61

If you had your choice, would you pick Texas Tech and Oklahoma State or would you select Utah and Kansas?

Nothing against Tech and OSU, but they would basically be filler. The Pac 10 is aiming for the top and Utah and Kansas add excellent programs and additional markets within the new Pac-16 footprint.

I think the Pac 16 would even include New Mexico before Tech would be seriously considered.

This expansion is strictly about selecting academically suitable flagship schools that will increase conference revenue. Adding Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado, Utah, and Kansas gives the Pac 16 control of every major market in the western U.S. Knockout punch delivered.

• Upvote 1

Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott released this statement Thursday night:

“We are aware of a story filed today by an Orangebloods.com columnist, speculating about possible expansion plans for the Pac-10 Conference. While many interesting scenarios have been suggested in numerous news reports, around the country, we remain focused on a thorough evaluation process that examines all of the options for increasing the value of the conference for our member institutions, our student athletes and our fans. We have not developed any definitive plans. We have not extended any invitations for expansion and we do not anticipate any such decisions in the near term.”

http://dennis-dodd.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6270202/22313501?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry22313501

Only thing I can figure is that the PAC-10 is trying to force Texas' hand by including Tech in the calculation. Tech wouldn't be included in Big 10 or SEC expansion so by including Tech in the expansion maybe the PAC-10 can force Texas politically. I'm just not sure this will work. Neither UT nor A&M are going to be left out of the BCS at the end of the day so they aren't going to be in a hurry to bite on this. I just also can't believe Stanford will go for this. They vetoed Texas last time didn't they and UT is one of if not the strongest academic institutions in this expansion.

Here is where I'm at on it all after way too much time spent working contacts across multiple leagues.

My Big 10 contact says the league has known about this for a few days and will likely accelerate their expansion. Big 10 may be done by a week from Friday (June 18). The stance has changed from courting Notre Dame to giving them an ultimatum. The Irish don't respond well to those but the odds are they get royally hosed if they fail to join. If Notre Dame says no, Big 10 probably takes Nebraska and Missouri with Rutgers but there is some sentiment to pursue Maryland, Duke, and North Carolina instead of Rutgers. If Notre Dame joins, its Nebraska, Missouri and possibly Rutgers and Syracuse.

SEC is going to make a last play for Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. Texas is a almost assuredly a definite no. Oklahoma probably is as well. TAMU feels they are being bullied into the Pac-10 and not being treated as an equal. The question is are they willing to ditch Texas, Texas Tech, and OU over mashed feelings. If it were the AD's call probably yes, but I think the academics and politics of it all lean toward TAMU going along. SEC is going to have a serious fight over expanding. They are looking at a Duke/UNC combo, UVA/VPI combo, and considering Florida State, Maryland, Georgia Tech and Miami. If TAMU comes along, Duke/UNC, Florida State is the probable preference. If TAMU goes SEC, Pac-10 will try to get Kansas alone and might fall back to Utah.

Big XII is probably left with Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor and Iowa State. There will be an attempt by MWC to grab all four. Big East will make a play as well. Most likely the four try start a new conference with TCU, SMU, Rice, Houston, Tulsa, Memphis, Louisville and Cincinnati. If they choose to go to 14 or 16, they probably look at New Mexico, Colorado State, Air Force, BYU, Utah, UTEP, Tulane and outside shot of Southern Miss.

ACC is left with 8 and Big East is at 4 to 6, probably 4. The two consolidate into a 12 team league, and probably add Temple and UCF. Less likely but still possible, ECU comes in. If Miami is gone FAU or FIU might sneak in but the thinking is Miami is left out. 16th spot is between Marshall and UAB if they go to 16 to keep up with everyone else.

CUSA at this point is expected to lose at least six, maybe 8. If they lose 8, it is game over. If they lose six they retain their units but have to immediately add two just to remain an FBS league.

Sun Belt likely absorbs CUSA probably taking CUSA name, if they are at 6 the units stay with the league, if they are at 4 they are gone. If CUSA is at 6, All Sun Belt football with possible exception of either USA or ULM goes into CUSA along with La.Tech.

WAC is at 7 MWC is at as many as 9 and as few 5. If MWC is at 7 or 9 they take Fresno, Nevada, Hawaii, and think about Idaho, NMSU, USU, and SJSU and may or may not take all or some. If they are at 5 they are absorbed by the WAC and only debate is whether to use the MWC name or WAC name.

Most likely no impact at all on the MAC other than losing football only member Temple.

If the pace holds with rapid movements, by July 1, we are reading articles about this being the last season of 11 FBS conferences before going to an 8 conference alignment.

• Upvote 6

Only thing I can figure is that the PAC-10 is trying to force Texas' hand by including Tech in the calculation. Tech wouldn't be included in Big 10 or SEC expansion so by including Tech in the expansion maybe the PAC-10 can force Texas politically. I'm just not sure this will work. Neither UT nor A&M are going to be left out of the BCS at the end of the day so they aren't going to be in a hurry to bite on this. I just also can't believe Stanford will go for this. They vetoed Texas last time didn't they and UT is one of if not the strongest academic institutions in this expansion.

Omaha paper reporting that the schools have until Sunday to accept.

Stanford has no problems with Texas. Stanford is going to have huge problems with Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and to a lesser degree OU.

I don't see the PAC 10 taking a school like Tech or Okie St. it doesn't match up with what they have in the classroom.

I don't see Tech having the political clout to force a package deal with Texas either. A&M sure but Texas could easily go anywhere they want without Tech.

Big XII is probably left with Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor and Iowa State. There will be an attempt by MWC to grab all four. Big East will make a play as well. Most likely the four try start a new conference with TCU, SMU, Rice, Houston, Tulsa, Memphis, Louisville and Cincinnati. If they choose to go to 14 or 16, they probably look at New Mexico, Colorado State, Air Force, BYU, Utah, UTEP, Tulane and outside shot of Southern Miss.

Really sad that they would consider every school in the state except North Texas. :(

• Upvote 3

Really sad that they would consider every school in the state except North Texas. :(

Possible that our commitment to being excellent athletically (I.e. Funding the program adequately/accepting mediocrity as "progress") came too late. Many strides have been made but the history of success just isn't there. Also, for all we talk about our gazillion alumni, where are they on game day? The "I'll give/show up/care when we start winning" attitude may have doomed us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Omaha paper reporting that the schools have until Sunday to accept.

Stanford has no problems with Texas. Stanford is going to have huge problems with Texas Tech, Oklahoma State and to a lesser degree OU.

But Texas isn't going to care about the deadline. They have all the leverage. If worse comes to worse they can go to the SEC where they'll make more money than in the PAC-10 anyway.

It is just amazing to look at what progress Tech has made. For most years, they were an SWC also-ran, but they had Bob Bullock in the legislature and he single-handedly got Tech included in the Big XII. Once they got in the Big XII, they really shot forward as a program because of great hires (Leach, Bob Knight) and really became very-well supported by their fans and alumni. Bill Powers, who is with University of Texas, was recently quoted as saying, "Wherever we end up, it will include both A&M and Tech." It seems that is how it will break down. The Oklahoma legislature, Kansas legislature, and Texas legislature all seem sold on their big BCS programs staying together. When you have the power of TV sets and money, as well as growing states in population, Texas and Oklahoma are in great shape and it will end up killing KU. Since they are stuck with K-State, a big conference can just go and say we want these schools, but not this one or that one, so how we can get the biggest bang for our bucks? Well, the conference can say that we want CU, Utah, KU, UT, OU, and A&M, but to get all of them, I have to find out to also take on BYU, K-state, Tech, and Okie Lite, so what mix works best here for our expansion? If Texas is the jewel, and A&M is pretty darn close, then taking Tech is a no-brainer if it delivers all three. Colorado represents a great market and fits in the footprint and they have no one else on the coattails, since no one apparently cares about Colorado State in their legislature, so that gets #4. The next question then comes down to whether I want a big-time basketball program or a big-time football program. Well football is the cash-cow, so that makes it fairly easy to say Oklahoma is the leader here, so we have to take OSU with them, but that gives us 16 and we are then done. The only way Kansas and Kansas State even survive as big-time programs is if the SEC says that we need more markets to the west and we need more big-time basketball in the league. Imagine KU-UK every year in basketball, that could be huge. But if football is the only driver, those schools are probably MWC bound, which would give that league 12 teams, but I believe that when this is all done, there will be 4 16-team leagues that will comprise the new BCS and that those 64 teams will form their own playoff system. I would imagine Baylor will immediately get picked up by CUSA and Iowa State will go to the MAC.

Edited by untjim1995

If you had your choice, would you pick Texas Tech and Oklahoma State or would you select Utah and Kansas?

Nothing against Tech and OSU, but they would basically be filler. The Pac 10 is aiming for the top and Utah and Kansas add excellent programs and additional markets within the new Pac-16 footprint.

I think the Pac 16 would even include New Mexico before Tech would be seriously considered.

This expansion is strictly about selecting academically suitable flagship schools that will increase conference revenue. Adding Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Colorado, Utah, and Kansas gives the Pac 16 control of every major market in the western U.S. Knockout punch delivered.

You'd rather have Kansas and Utah, however you won't likely won't get Texas, Texas A&M, and OU without Tech and Ok State. Maintaining the strong(ish) rivalries among the relevant schools in the Big 12 South and placing them all in their own division in a new, substantially stronger conference with a huge media market makes the offer far more enticing.

So you grab two schools that probably don't fit the profile of the Pac-10 in order to score the big dogs.... or really, THE big dog, Texas.

Possible that our commitment to being excellent athletically (I.e. Funding the program adequately/accepting mediocrity as "progress") came too late. Many strides have been made but the history of success just isn't there. Also, for all we talk about our gazillion alumni, where are they on game day?

The "I'll give/show up/care when we start winning" attitude may have doomed us.

I think this is very possible. Our basketball program has done well recently, but it isn't well supported (less than 3K in avg. attendance). The new stadium will be nicer than anything we have ever had, but it still going to be the smallest in the state when it is built. I think that you are right that we will be left in the SBC unless the WAC really gets raided, but looking at the plans of the PAC-10 taking most of the Big XII away and the MWC staying fairly intact, I am not sure that the WAC will expand, unless they lose someone else.

I think Arkstate fan nailed it. The alumi at A&M would roast their AD on a spit if he tried to leave Texas. They have done that to past ADs for far less. This also appears to mean a stronger Sunbelt without having to deal with hoping FCS schools move up. A stronger SBC will mean it is a lot tougher for the FCS schools to move up, especially those that started trying after the NCAA moratorium.

why doesn't the big xii go after some schools itself? arkansas, tcu, arizona and asu would make 16 for the big xii. those are random schools by the way, just trying to make a point.

First, all of those schools except TCU have better deals now than they could get in the Big XII. While TCU would probably jump at the chance to join, what they add in terms of TV views and fans is not equal to what cutting the pie 13 ways instead of just 12.

First, all of those schools except TCU have better deals now than they could get in the Big XII. While TCU would probably jump at the chance to join, what they add in terms of TV views and fans is not equal to what cutting the pie 13 ways instead of just 12.

you get my point though, right? why not be pro-active?