Nebraska And Big 10 Chatter Picking Up

If Nebraska and Missouri go to the Big Tenleven, It's just a matter of time until Texas and ATM go to the SEC. The SEC commish has gone on record they wouldn't be sitting still if conference shakeups start happening. The SEC wants Texas, but so does every conference. UT can pick where they want to go. Outside of the Big Ten and it's network the SEC has the best($$$) TV deal. The PAC 10 doesnt make sense. Nobody wants to go west when they could go east. Too many issues with game start times, travel etc.

But Texas/ATM is a package deal. If you take the big brother you have to take little brother too. Too many politics and aggie politicians (Governor GoodHair)for UT to leave ATM behind.

Rumors have Mizzou, Nebraska, Syracuse, Rutgers, and Pitt going to Big 10 to make 16.

Colorado is rumored to be going to the Pac10 with Utah.

That would leave the Big 12 hurting and easier for the SEC to pick off UT, A$M, OU , and OkSt.

Tech, Baylor, Kansas, KSU, Iowa St. to the MWC? :o

Edited by NT80

Iowa State in the Mountain West Conference?!? They might have better luck asking the ACC or Big East for a new home.

Big East, maybe, but they're not much of a basketball school. TCU isn't that much farther west than Iowa St. WAC is a west coast conference and has La. Tech afterall

Since the conference re-alignment talk will not die, and the participation has slowed a little, and everyone else seems to have provided a perfect solution; I'll go ahead and throw in my dream conference scenario:

THE AWESOME CONFERENCE

School Division:

UNT

UT

A&M

OU

OSU

NCTC

Entertainment Division:

The Office

HDTV

Sir Mix-a-lot

iPhone

Shiner Bock

Medium-rare steaks

No member can join the conference unless they can field competitive whirlyball and ski-ball teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Rumors have Mizzou, Nebraska, Syracuse, Rutgers, and Pitt going to Big 10 to make 16.

Colorado is rumored to be going to the Pac10 with Utah.

That would leave the Big 12 hurting and easier for the SEC to pick off UT, A$M, OU , and OkSt.

Tech, Baylor, Kansas, KSU, Iowa St. to the MWC? :o

i agree with you except for ou/ok.st to sec. with them still in big 12, that leaves 7 schools to merge with mountain west for a 16 team bcs conference. this is not about academics. its about increa$ing t.v. revenue.

You can pretty much forget the UT and A&M to the SEC talk. It won't happen. Maybe A&M somehow on their own, but UT and SEC have to many political and academic problems with each other for the top levels of the university to ever agree to go the SEC. the SEC has 2 AAU members, the Big 12 7. UT does not want to ater down thier academics and research for the sake of playing in the SEC.

UT's list is probably Big 10, then keeping the Big 12 then PAC 10. There is no list after that.

I would expect UT and TT to the Pac-10 in a Southern Division with Ariz, ASU, USC and UCLA. The biggest question would be getting TT in due to their academic profile

UT may not have much choice where they go if others vacate the Big12. They can't go it alone like ND. I expect them to be in a group deal with A$M somewhere, but the dominos will start without them. If they don't want to participate, then Rots of Ruck! :P

Edited by NT80

TIFWIW:

"If Nebraska & Missouri bolt, the conference will look to start a NEW CONFERENCE with members of the Pac-10 (hence the term "Western Alliance"). As it stands, there will be no "joining the Pac-10" b/c the Pac-10 is in a worse financial position than the current Big XII. The word is, an effort would be made to take the cream from the Pac-10, Big XII and Mountain West, and form an Alliance of teams that span the Pacific, Mountain and Central timezones. I've said it previously, but if Nebraska & Missouri bolt and Texas isn't on the train, you'll probably see this conference emerge.

West:

* USC

* UCLA

* Stanford

* Cal

* Oregon

* Oregon State

* Washington

* Utah

East:

* Texas

* Texas A&M

* Oklahoma

* Kansas

* Colorado

* Arizona

* Arizona State

* BYU, Texas Tech or Iowa State

That right there would bring in Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and probably Nevada & possibly even New Mexico (and Iowa if they opt for ISU over TT & BYU). That would give the new conference a footprint of 96M (101M w/ New Mexico & Iowa). The new alliance would start their own network, much like the Big Ten. With a geographic footprint of 96M minimum, they'd have that as a foundation to bring in ungodly sums of revenue from TV deals. To put the 96M into perspective, currently the Big Ten has a footprint of 67M and is receiving an average of $112M per year for 25 years (the actual number escalates from year to year, but the average is $112M/yr). A Western Alliance with a 96M strong footprint could conceivably bring in 50% more than the current Big Ten Network.

If the Big Ten adds Nebraska, Missouri, New York & New Jersey (via Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, Nebraska & Missouri), they'd be at a footprint of 103M. Due to the overall lack of interest in college football in NYC, I don't think they'd get max dollar in the city. So, it's conceivable a Western Alliance with 96M strong could become the top dog in terms of TV revenue. That alliance would also benefit from strong weekly matchups w/in the conference, which would greatly increase any deals w/ ABC, CBS or NBC. I was told there would also be a concerted effort w/in the alliance to schedule OOC teams from the Eastern & Central time zones, specifically the ACC, SEC & Big Ten, in an effort to gain greater exposure there and mitigate any residual "western/pacific bias".

Now, if Nebraska is spared, you'll more than likely see the Big XII simply try to add one of the Utah teams and move forward. Or, they could make a run at Arizona & Arizona State b/c we actually have more $$$ to offer each team from TV revenue than the Pac-10 does. That could force USC & UCLA into a position where they either stay in a diminished Pac-10 and earn even less $$$ or join the Big XII + UA, ASU & Utah/BYU to form a new 16 team Big XII."

I don't see how Okie State gets left out of the equation with their big T. Boone bucks, attendance better than half the Pac 10, and close ties with OU.

Mountain West.

"It's pretty simple. The alliance as a whole would be vastly more powerful than some state's legislature. If it comes down to Kansas & Kansas State both getting left out of the party (and relegated to the Mountain West) or Kansas only getting an invite, you'd better believe any legislature will opt for one versus none. That's the reason Washington State would get left out of the deal. They suck, have very little fan support, and have no where near the power to make a stink about getting left out. The only one that could make much of a stink is Oklahoma State, but the pro-Sooner culture would support that move whole-heartedly. All of the other pairs would stick. The CA 4, Texas/A&M, Oregon/OSU, Arizona/ASU, Utah/BYU (more than likely)...."

Edited by LongJim

Mountain West.

"It's pretty simple. The alliance as a whole would be vastly more powerful than some state's legislature. If it comes down to Kansas & Kansas State both getting left out of the party (and relegated to the Mountain West) or Kansas only getting an invite, you'd better believe any legislature will opt for one versus none. That's the reason Washington State would get left out of the deal. They suck, have very little fan support, and have no where near the power to make a stink about getting left out. The only one that could make much of a stink is Oklahoma State, but the pro-Sooner culture would support that move whole-heartedly. All of the other pairs would stick. The CA 4, Texas/A&M, Oregon/OSU, Arizona/ASU, Utah/BYU (more than likely)...."

OU won't be going anywhere without OSU, same as UT & ATM, joined at the hip and in the state's legislature.

A 3-time-zone conference also is very doubtful. Too much travel for non-rev sports.

OU won't be going anywhere without OSU, same as UT & ATM, joined at the hip and in the state's legislature.

"I'm not privy to all of the info, so I have no idea how the powers that be are thinking about these issues. But, there's enough oomph available that the Alliance wouldn't be left in the lurch if some legislature said "take 'em both or you get none". The only states that would or could get split are Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Washington & Utah. At present, there are 19 schools that would be viable options for the Alliance. If one state balks at the teams being split, move on and grab another. If Washington balks at WSU getting left behind, that opens up the door to take Tech or Ok State or BYU for sure, thereby eliminating another potential "issue" state. Granted, that may leave a little money on the table, but you at least don't water down the conference w/ dead weight. Plus, taking an undesirable team like WSU or KSU in order to get Washington or Kansas isn't worth it. OSU, Tech & BYU would be exceptions to that rule."

A 3-time-zone conference also is very doubtful. Too much travel for non-rev sports.

"The time zone issue is only with any ABC/CBS/NBC contract. That issue doesn't exist if you own your own network. The reason the Pac-10 has suffered in their ABC contract is b/c (a) they don't have enough compelling match ups to trump any other conference that's on TV, and (B) their footprint doesn't go past Mountain Standard Time. The Alliance as I've heard it structured would yield 7 PST teams, 5 MST teams, and 4 CST teams. The MST & CST numbers could flip flop depending on the 16th team added. Also, a minimum of 32% of the conferences' footprint will be in the CST. If you're ABC, having a 31M strong TV audience in the CST is a compelling reason enough to have earlier start times. That's my assumption based on conversations."

Edited by LongJim

"I'm not privy to all of the info, so I have no idea how the powers that be are thinking about these issues. But, there's enough oomph available that the Alliance wouldn't be left in the lurch if some legislature said "take 'em both or you get none". The only states that would or could get split are Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Washington & Utah. At present, there are 19 schools that would be viable options for the Alliance. If one state balks at the teams being split, move on and grab another. If Washington balks at WSU getting left behind, that opens up the door to take Tech or Ok State or BYU for sure, thereby eliminating another potential "issue" state. Granted, that may leave a little money on the table, but you at least don't water down the conference w/ dead weight. Plus, taking an undesirable team like WSU or KSU in order to get Washington or Kansas isn't worth it. OSU, Tech & BYU would be exceptions to that rule."

thanks for your input! bottom line for unt is that the belt,wac,and cusa are still on outside looking in, and will basically remain in tact. this may not bode well for creation of a regional "southwest" conference.

"The time zone issue is only with any ABC/CBS/NBC contract. That issue doesn't exist if you own your own network. The reason the Pac-10 has suffered in their ABC contract is b/c (a) they don't have enough compelling match ups to trump any other conference that's on TV, and (B) their footprint doesn't go past Mountain Standard Time. The Alliance as I've heard it structured would yield 7 PST teams, 5 MST teams, and 4 CST teams. The MST & CST numbers could flip flop depending on the 16th team added. Also, a minimum of 32% of the conferences' footprint will be in the CST. If you're ABC, having a 31M strong TV audience in the CST is a compelling reason enough to have earlier start times. That's my assumption based on conversations."