Alonzo Edwards

GrandGreen

Definitely very happy to have him on board, but that article didn't really do much to clarify his numbers at Lon Morris this year. I'm also kind of wondering how he will fit in next year if his goal is to play facing the basket. I know Big George is our host at the post next season, but I was kind of thinking of Edwards as more of a down low muscle type guy. Anyone have any thoughts or insight on his skills?

So, for those who know his game, will he play the 4 or the 3 here?

Starting 5 I really like for next year:

1 - DJ

2- TT

3 - AE

4 - KH

5 - GO

Great size and athleticism.

I'd switch the 3 and 4. You can't leave Josh White off can you ?. I'd rather have DJ coming off the bench

Or you could go : White,DJ,TT,AE,GO

Geez.... We will be deep next year. I didn't even mention Shorter

Yes, I leave Josh off the starters list. He is cursed with a 5'8" physique in a shooting guard's body. (Yes, that last sentence was intentional).

I prefer memories of the Josh White that scored, what, 28 points against Texas than the Josh White I saw in Ok City. Pick it up and you get off the bench.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 5

So, for those who know his game, will he play the 4 or the 3 here?

Starting 5 I really like for next year:

1 - DJ

2- TT

3 - AE

4 - KH

5 - GO

Great size and athleticism.

No way that JJ with a loaded guard lineup starts 3 bigs. I think we are more likely to see a four guard lineup than 2. I remain mystified on the Edwards signing, he does not seem to fit this team needs at all. NT does not need a 6'7 245 three that has shown little offensively. Can you really see Edwards taking time away from Mangrum, Johnson, or Shorter? Problem, with his numbers and desire to play face to the basket can he even beat out Spencer, Hogans or Knox under the basket?

I'm not sure I like it but wouldn't be surprised to see a starting line of White, Thompson, Odufuwu, Johnson and either Mangrum, Shorter.

No way that JJ with a loaded guard lineup starts 3 bigs. I think we are more likely to see a four guard lineup than 2. I remain mystified on the Edwards signing, he does not seem to fit this team needs at all. NT does not need a 6'7 245 three that has shown little offensively. Can you really see Edwards taking time away from Mangrum, Johnson, or Shorter? Problem, with his numbers and desire to play face to the basket can he even beat out Spencer, Hogans or Knox under the basket?

I'm not sure I like it but wouldn't be surprised to see a starting line of White, Thompson, Odufuwu, Johnson and either Mangrum, Shorter.

Edwards is a paint player. We have plenty of depth at all the guards , I think he fits this team perfectly.

We have enough people to score , we need someone to do the dirty work

Eric Tramiel left some big shoes to fill , big George can't do it all by himself in the paint

Pick it up? How many crucial shots has he hit for this team the last 3 years?

He was a trooper this year and played out of position at 1 the entire year. I simply don't like a 5'8" shooting guard that has emmense trouble getting to the hole. I like him as a change of pace offensive jolt off the bench at 2. I doubt this happens, but I think that this would be best for the team next year.

Edwards is a paint player. We have plenty of depth at all the guards , I think he fits this team perfectly.

We have enough people to score , we need someone to do the dirty work

Eric Tramiel left some big shoes to fill , big George can't do it all by himself in the paint

The article seems to indicate that he isn't a paint player. Maybe that is what he is trying to become at JC. If he has the range and quickness to play 3 at the college level, why force him to a position that isn't natural for him? He is listed at 6"7", so that means he is probably 6'5", anyway.

I want to see the focus of the offense shift to T. Thompson next year. He REALLY stepped it up this past year and looks to be poised for a magical senior year.

I want to see the focus of the offense shift to T. Thompson next year. He REALLY stepped it up this past year and looks to be poised for a magical senior year.

He's always had games where he looks like a world beater - even as a freshman he could put up 20. But he also can sorta fade into the background often. I don't know that he'd ever be our goto guy on a night in night out basis.

He was a trooper this year and played out of position at 1 the entire year. I simply don't like a 5'8" shooting guard that has emmense trouble getting to the hole. I like him as a change of pace offensive jolt off the bench at 2. I doubt this happens, but I think that this would be best for the team next year.

You said pick it up tho. Usually that implies he's not doing his job. He led the team in scoring, assists, and hit more big shots than anyone on the team. We don't win the SBC tournament without him. The kid is the biggest winner we have.

Maybe strategically it'd be better to have him come off the bench, but that's not the same as "pick it up and you get off the bench" -- not at all.

• Upvote 1

Whatever we do, i hope we figure it out early and stick with it all year. It seems like the last 2 or 3 years we have started slow trying to figure out different lineups and then we catch fire down the stretch. I want us in sync from the get go. It will be interesting to see how the minutes are distributed next year. Shorter was a starter this year, Dom the year before and no doubt Collin needs minutes too. Then you have Edwards, Holmen, Hogans, and Cam that will distribute the minutes. Man we are deep though.