Bracketology

MCMLXXX

Exactly the reason, a win is more likely in front of more supportive fans than with less fans.

In the NCAA's, and low seed gets the support of the non-invested crowd. Unless we're playing a school that's like an hour or less from campus --- the nuetral fans make the Cinderella their team.

Many of the biggest upsets in tourney history were with absentee fanbases in the stands.

In the NCAA's, and low seed gets the support of the non-invested crowd. Unless we're playing a school that's like an hour or less from campus --- the nuetral fans make the Cinderella their team.

Many of the biggest upsets in tourney history were with absentee fanbases in the stands.

I agree with this sentiment. I do think, though, as long as we are the best of the 15 seeds it will be OKC. If we are a 15 and do go to OKC, I expect a huge contingent. While it is unlikely we'd win against a 2 - we need to show everyone that the fan support is there.

The difference between a 14 and 15 seed is huge when you look at the difference between a 2 and 3 seed at the top. To everyone who doesn't think a 14 seed is a big difference, it's really a 2 seed swing when you combine it with the drop from having to play a 2 seed to playing a 3 seed.

Not to mention the fact that history is more kind to the 14's than the 15's.

We have 20 years of history to look at. Fifteen seeds have a four percent chance of winning. Fourteens have a 15% chance. So a little over once every two seasons a 14 wins in the 1st round. Fifteen seeds win once every 5 years on average.

Seems obvious. Better to be a 14 in Alaska than a 15 in Dallas.

Edited by CMJ

Disagree. There is a reason we beat OSU in Denton last year and lost in Stillwater this season...more home fans.

We were better than OSU in 2008 and they were better than us in 2010. And OSU had more fans than we did when we won in Denton.

The crowd can be a factor in a close game, certainly. But we need to get a win, not just repeat what we did in 2007. And that is why without a doubt we need to get a #14 seed tomorrow.

Disagree. There is a reason we beat OSU in Denton last year and lost in Stillwater this season...more home fans.

You are thinking of the 07-08 season. We played OSU at OSU last year and lost that as well.

I think we won the 07-08 game because OSU was a vastly different team under a different coach. They went 17-16 that year, 23-11 the next, and 22-10 this year.

Ah, no. Indiana had more fans than us at home, but not OSU last year.

We would play better in OKC (better chance to win) than we would in Jacksonville. There is no way to prove it, but I know we would.

We played OSU at home two years ago, not last year... it was November of 2007... and if they didn't have more fans than us then it was an even split.

We played OSU at home two years ago, not last year... it was November of 2007... and if they didn't have more fans than us then it was an even split.

Wasn't their coach that year the guy who got into some legal trouble recently? It seems like they definitely upgraded their coaching staff after him . I can't remember his name, but I believe it was his father who was a legendary coach there.

Houston, though hard to swallow, I get. But Ohio?!? CBL, you see any credence to this??

Comparable RPI from a slightly better conference...pisses me off but doesn't necessarily surprise me.

If the bracket actually shakes out like this we're better than all 4 14 seeds

So people would take being the lowest ranked 14 seed in a far away location over being the top ranked 15th seed in a nearby location? Is playing the 9th best team in the country over the 8th best team in the country really worth a very significant reduction in fan support? Really?

In a word...yes. Aside from the already mentioned historical advantage that 14 seeds enjoy (I believe by CMJ's numbers they are 3 times more likely to win than a 15), there's the difference in prestige. As sad as it is to the vast majority both nationally and locally we are assumed to be a 16 seed automatically. Getting a 15 looks like blind luck. A 14 might make some sit up and at least ponder the difference between their preconception and reality.

• Upvote 1