Cusa Potential Expansion Targets

MeanGreen61

Since NT and Houston have a common opponent, where did Houston play WKy? If Houston played them at home, then I'd consider our win to be that much better than Houston's.

They were @ wKu and won on a very bad call that went against the Hilltoppers

Quick question, since I am not a BB expert, but would Houston have made the tournament if they had not won their conference tourny? It seems like 18 wins would not have been enough to get them in, but 1 win means that they get a much better seed than us. I don't envy where they are playing, but they should be a 15.

No, they would not have gotten in. Houston got a 13 seed because they beat both UTEP and Memphis twice.

Memphis' only quality win outside of the conference was thrashing an early season Oakland team. UTEP ran the table in CUSA, and had one quality win against NMSU.

Houston got a 13 seed based on the strength of their conference, where NT got a 15 seed based on the strength of its conference. If Houston had a record similar to ours, I have no doubt they would have received a 10 or even a 9 or 8 seed.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Interesting. Compiled by MissouriStateBear and posted on the CUSA board.

cusaexpansion.jpg

My results in order of expansion candidates would be:

North Texas

Western Kentucky

Missouri State

Middle Tennessee

South Alabama

Louisiana Tech

Charlotte

Texas State

Georgia State

Appalachian State

Texas-San Antonio

Georgia Southern

JediKnight Reply

During the last round of expansion, North Texas and Louisiana Tech both were seriously considered for C-USA membership. I wouldn't be surprised to see North Texas be one of the top candidates again should expansion start up again.

Texas-San Antonio I think should be higher. But having said that, theres noway 4 sunbelt teams will be ahead of Louisiana Tech. They are in the news to much and Louisiana is not a good fit (travel wise) for the wac.

Texas-San Antonio I think should be higher. But having said that, theres noway 4 sunbelt teams will be ahead of Louisiana Tech. They are in the news to much and Louisiana is not a good fit (travel wise) for the wac.

To bad there is not a catagory for potential.

from what i have read on college football conference realignment,no changes will occur with mid/major conferences until big 10 and pac 10 have expanded. since its all about money, one objective of big 10 expansion could be to cripple big east so they will no longer be considered a bcs conference, and the big 6 become the big 5. in addition, the pac 10 expansion could kill mountain west bcs hopes. just an opinion.

from what i have read on college football conference realignment,no changes will occur with mid/major conferences until big 10 and pac 10 have expanded. since its all about money, one objective of big 10 expansion could be to cripple big east so they will no longer be considered a bcs conference, and the big 6 become the big 5. in addition, the pac 10 expansion could kill mountain west bcs hopes. just an opinion.

Nobody knows what is going to happen, it's all speculation.

What needs to happen for the mid-majors is for the all of the Big Six to expand to at least 12 teams.

Pac-10 (+2)

Big 10 (+1)

Big East (+4)

The Big 12, SEC, and the ACC will probably remain as they are now.

These expansions would result in a raiding of the Mountain West, C-USA, and WAC. Those 3 conferences will look to the MAC and the Sun Belt to backfill the openings and possibly expand to 12 teams themselves. In the end, the Sun Belt may very well fall apart. With 120 teams and 12 teams required for a championship game, there is one too many conferences in existence right now.

I find it difficult to believe a couple of multi purpose facilities with temporary, fold-away seating is a nicer place to watch College basketball than the Fabulous Super Pit?

Haltonendzone.jpg

arena_world.jpg

Of course I could be wrong? Because when you go to our athletic website to search for a great, quality photo of the Fabulous Super Pit that shows the entire interior of the facility from above the best your going to get is this near postage stamp size photo and you have to dig to find it.

OKANVPEMPFNPXUS.20050201154341.jpg

Yes, we have nice facilities, and there's more on the way. But in my opinion we don't promote them enough.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If the Big East were raiding, would they go after Memphis, East Carolina, and possibly 2 MAC teams? Seems like that conference has the most to lose, because there's very little out there that would boost their position as a BCS conference. They would have to rely on the Pac 10 dismantling the MWC.

I think this all might be a bit oversimplified. The Big 12 could conceivably lose Colorado to the Pac 10 and Iowa State or Missouri to the Big 10. All of the sudden they're left with two slots to fill. If they want to stay in Colorado, they could pick up Colorado State from the MWC. If the Big East snatches up Memphis, then the most logical candidates for the 12th spot are TCU, Houston, UTEP, and North Texas. Just no way of knowing what's going to happen at the end of all of this.

The best case scenario for us is that TCU stays in the MWC after being raided by the Pac 10 for Utah, and lobbies for us as a travel partner. CUSA is going to look pretty ugly at the end of this.

Well, actually the best case scenario is North Texas in the Big 12. But we're about 10-20 years too early for that. :lol:

Regarding the Super Pit, did anything ever come from the AD asking for improvement suggestions? We definitely need a center scoreboard, to replace that section occupied entirely by media with chairbacks, and add more/better concessions and a spirit shop.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

If the Big East were raiding, would they go after Memphis, East Carolina, and possibly 2 MAC teams?

I was thinking ECU, UCF, Memphis, and Marshall. UCF and USF would become a natural rivalry, and West Virginia would renew its rivalries with Marshall and ECU. They need Memphis because the Big East will lose the bulk of their basketball power, assuming that any Big East expansion would include a spinoff of the basketball-only schools.

C-USA could replace them with MTSU, Troy, LA Tech, and North Texas. I don't think this really hurts C-USA that much. In fact I think it strengthens the conference by making the geographic footprint smaller.

I was thinking ECU, UCF, Memphis, and Marshall. UCF and USF would become a natural rivalry, and West Virginia would renew its rivalries with Marshall and ECU. They need Memphis because the Big East will lose the bulk of their basketball power, assuming that any Big East expansion would include a spinoff of the basketball-only schools.

C-USA could replace them with MTSU, Troy, LA Tech, and North Texas. I don't think this really hurts C-USA that much. In fact I think it strengthens the conference by making the geographic footprint smaller.

O think that CUSA may want to keep a presence in Florida for recruiting. Not sure they want the available options, but they may consider it. Also, I am not sure that Troy is a real option given their academics and the fact that they have an APR exception.

O think that CUSA may want to keep a presence in Florida for recruiting. Not sure they want the available options, but they may consider it. Also, I am not sure that Troy is a real option given their academics and the fact that they have an APR exception.

They may want to, but if the Big East picks off UCF then who will C-USA turn to? Surely not FIU or FAU. And given the rising travel costs, they may have no choice but to concede the east coast entireley and become a southwestern conference.

OKKHGQBCXOGKOGP.20070627195712.jpg

You're right we don't do enough promotion, but I found this one with a quick Google search of "picture super pit UNT interior."

I saw that photo also, but it's from the top of the stairs at ground level from the corner with the Oklahoma State fans in the near foreground. The small one I linked to is at least from the very top. I'm certain can do better than show a photo that's half orange. I have one but haven't been able to find it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3

We definitely need a center scoreboard,

Completely agree and wanted to say that we had one before the new soundsystem and scoreboard/video boards were installed. I never understood why they took it out? It gave the place a much more professional feel. Maybe there's a newer one in the works sometime down the road after the stadium is complete.

Rick

• Upvote 3

Completely agree and wanted to say that we had one before the new soundsystem and scoreboard/video boards were installed. I never understood why they took it out? It gave the place a much more professional feel. Maybe there's a newer one in the works sometime down the road after the stadium is complete.

Rick

I thought sometime after the stadium is completed, there were plans for a new basketball complex.

I thought sometime after the stadium is completed, there were plans for a new basketball complex.

Not sure where you heard that. There is no need for a new basketball arena, the Super Pit is one of the best venues in the country. I have heard about the possibility of a new press box and luxury suites.

The Super Pit is a nice building no question about it. I do think it needs a facelift for sure. For one, it's very cavernous for a Sun Belt school. Even 5,000 fans in there makes it look sparse. I would reduce the seating and make the seats more spacious and comfortable. Secondly, I'd put in updated 'stat boards' with video on both walls where the 'scoreboards' are now. Third, I'd put in a large center scoreboard with video. And finally I'd put in some sort of luxury suites/club level/loge level set up. There's too much wasted space at the top of that arena (really above the concourse).

For one, it's very cavernous for a Sun Belt school. Even 5,000 fans in there makes it look sparse. I would reduce the seating

so let's reduce capacity because of the conference we play in? how about change scheduling to better opponents fans want to see. or a better conference?

• Upvote 1

so let's reduce capacity because of the conference we play in? how about change scheduling to better opponents fans want to see. or a better conference?

I don't think there is a single person on this message board that would not want to enjoy the fruits of your suggestion... Obviously, it's not that easy though. With the new stadium, JJ's continuation of building a basketball winner, and hopefully a Football team that can turn the corner, maybe we'll get that upgraded conference invite. Then, we will be able to schedule those better teams at home.

We could cut out several hundred seats to add in luxury boxes, but let's cut off our nose just to spite or face by reducig the capacity by 1/2. Remember, since this is a multi-purpose facility so we need it to remain viable for other school functions (like gradaution).

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

The Super Pit is a nice building no question about it. I do think it needs a facelift for sure. For one, it's very cavernous for a Sun Belt school. Even 5,000 fans in there makes it look sparse. I would reduce the seating and make the seats more spacious and comfortable. Secondly, I'd put in updated 'stat boards' with video on both walls where the 'scoreboards' are now. Third, I'd put in a large center scoreboard with video. And finally I'd put in some sort of luxury suites/club level/loge level set up. There's too much wasted space at the top of that arena (really above the concourse).

I read an article in the OKC paper while up there about renovations to their 8-year old Ford Center where we played. They just finished upgrades including new center digital scoreboard, replaced some endzone area seating with 40 club/loge level boxes and private consessions, and added a digital color ribbon/message board around the entire arena interior at mid-level. Price tag = $40 million.