North Texas 2010 (Real Outlook And Message To All Nt Posters)

NTFB4LIFE

Am I the only one who thinks this blame it on the offense, defense, or special teams is pointless? NT was bad in all areas. An above average offense until you consider turnovers and inability to score in the red zone. A defense who often was good early but usually failed when the game was on the line. Special teams that were improved primarily in the return games but punting and field goal attempts were dreadful plus an unreliable kick off return defense.

As far as Deloach, who knows; was he successful here before because he had superior Belt players or did he recruit and develop those players? I will give him the benefit of the doubt, but another bad defensive year will tell a different story. Comparing Medoza with Deloach is IMO beyond stupid. There is no way that Medoza should have ever been hired for that position.

Dodge goes into his fourth year with undoubtedly the best coaching staff and player talent he has had at NT. I hope he puts it to good use.

I'll admit that I only read the first post and skimmed through the rest. What I have to say is no surprise: part of the problem with the defense has been the offense (and special teams) giving the ball away resulting in short fields for the opponent - week after week after week, year in and year out. It wears on a defense to be put back on the field in bad positions all the time. If it were an occassional occurrence, that's one thing. But, turning the ball over is the most consistent thing Dodge's offense has done since he's been here.

That will change under Canales. Dodge and Ford are no longer going to be calling plays. Dodge has even turned over the reigns to Canales to groom the quarterbacks. I'm not worried about that side of the ball anymore.

As far as the defense, the progression has been:

2007: Nine returning starters wasted on a high school defensive coordinator, DL coach, and secondary coach from the business world

2008: Many inexperienced players under Deloach in his first season back - and the DL still being led by a high school coach

2009: An 11 point improvement under Deloach and new DL coach Nelson

2010 will be even better. The defensive side of the ball will be in its third season under Deloach. After figuring out 25 WRs on a roster doesn't help a college football program, the addition of defensive recruits in 2009 and this year will give Deloach and Nelson even more to build with.

Under Dodge and Ford, the offense showed no similar 11 point jump from season-to-season. The only constant was the turnovers and failure to nail down short yardage situations.

Ford's departure and Dodge's decision to step out of the picture and just "be used as a resource" as he put it ( :rolleyes: ), combined with the addition of a bona fide BCS-level offensive coordinator will give our offense the rocket fuel to take off in 2010.

We've got pros in charge now on both sides of the ball, so we don't have to worry about Todd "Resource" Dodge and Todd "I'm back at the high school level where I belong" Ford mucking up the works.

Be thankful.

• Upvote 2

Thank you for making another point of mine I never even thought of. The last time Deloach DC'ed against the TCU Horned Frogs for the Mean Green, in only his third year as DC, his nationally ranked defense held them at Amon Carter to a total of 178 yards.

While I certainly loved the glory days of those defenses, I don't think DeLoach's past successes let him off the hook for the past 2 years. Now we're hearing (albeit from a recurit who is not even on campus) that DeLoach could not blitz and do things he wanted to do because he didn't have the horses in the defensive backfield. Well, over this offseason, they picked up some quality juco DB's. I think this is a make-or-break season for DeLoach, just like it is for Dodge.

And while there is an arguement for turnovers and special teams leaving the defense with a short field to protect, I think it's only a fraction of the points the D surrendered. Other than the Ball State and Army games, I saw teams moving the ball against us at will for the past 2 years no matter where they started on the field.

We know coach DeLoach has it in him as FFR pointed out... I just hope to see the fruits this year.

7 wins or he's gone says RV. That's what everyone should really be concerned about this year. Will RV stick by his ultimatum? All the statistical analysis, blame game, etc. doesn't mean a thing. His staff continues to change but the results never do. An 0-4 start should warrant a quick firing with an interim replacement.......

It's hard to imagine a 5-win increase this season over last with a tougher schedule this year. This would be a huge turnaround, but needed.

I'll admit that I only read the first post and skimmed through the rest. What I have to say is no surprise: part of the problem with the defense has been the offense (and special teams) giving the ball away resulting in short fields for the opponent - week after week after week, year in and year out. It wears on a defense to be put back on the field in bad positions all the time. If it were an occassional occurrence, that's one thing. But, turning the ball over is the most consistent thing Dodge's offense has done since he's been here.

That will change under Canales. Dodge and Ford are no longer going to be calling plays. Dodge has even turned over the reigns to Canales to groom the quarterbacks. I'm not worried about that side of the ball anymore.

As far as the defense, the progression has been:

2007: Nine returning starters wasted on a high school defensive coordinator, DL coach, and secondary coach from the business world

2008: Many inexperienced players under Deloach in his first season back - and the DL still being led by a high school coach

2010 will be even better. The defensive side of the ball will be in its third season under Deloach. After figuring out 25 WRs on a roster doesn't help a college football program, the addition of defensive recruits in 2009 and this year will give Deloach and Nelson even more to build with.

Under Dodge and Ford, the offense showed no similar 11 point jump from season-to-season. The only constant was the turnovers and failure to nail down short yardage situations.

Ford's departure and Dodge's decision to step out of the picture and just "be used as a resource" as he put it ( :rolleyes: ), combined with the addition of a bona fide BCS-level offensive coordinator will give our offense the rocket fuel to take off in 2010.

We've got pros in charge now on both sides of the ball, so we don't have to worry about Todd "Resource" Dodge and Todd "I'm back at the high school level where I belong" Ford mucking up the works.

Be thankful.

Lonnie,

Your thinking that Dodge is not going to have any input on either side of the ball and is not in charge is wishful thinking. You make a lot of good points in your posts, but to think that Todd Dodge's headset will not be turned on and tuned in on the sideline this fall is delusional.

Lonnie,

Your thinking that Dodge is not going to have any input on either side of the ball and is not in charge is wishful thinking. You make a lot of good points in your posts, but to think that Todd Dodge's headset will not be turned on and tuned in on the sideline this fall is delusional.

It can be on all he wants. Thankfully, though, he will only be in "resource" mode, leaving the playcalling to Canales.

That's why I posted last week that he can sit up in the press box and eat hot dogs and drink Dr. Peppers. I think that's the best place for him to use his "resourcing" skills.

I think Rick Villareal has had more of a say in this handover of duties than we may think. I'm probably not the only person he has spoken to in the last three years that mentioned disapointment in the coaching choices, assignments, and decisions. I think we will all benefit now that Dodge is in "resource" mode, not playcalling mode.

Strip it down to its core, and what do you think Dodge is doing in 2010, anyway:

(1) He's said Canales will form the gameplan

(2) He's said Canales will call the plays

(3) He's said Canales will coach the quarterbacks.

(4) He's said that he is only a "resource."

There aren't my words. These are the words of Todd Dodge himself. And, again, he's wise to turn it over to a pro. We'll reap the benefit by challenging for, if not winning outright, the Sun Belt title in Canales first year here.

Offhand, I can't think of a Sun Belt opponents who has a defense coordinator with experience and success at the BCS level that Canales has. He will have no match in the league.

You read it here first: With Canales on board, choosing the quarterback, and calling the shots, the rest of the Sun Belt is chasing us now. We are the lead dog. Look at our butt, Sun Belt foes...that's as close as your going to get to beating it in 2010.

I issue the same warning to Rice and Army...and Kansas State better watch out as well because we'll be rolling like thunder by the end of the season! That right Wildcat Junior College...we now have a coach that won't be folding up the playbook after three series.

I've got a fever. And, the only prescription that can cure it is more Canales!

2010 will be even better.

I hope you mean by "even better" that the defense can give up less than 35 points per game, and the rush defense improves by more than the 1 spot it improved last year. Also, like sacks to go up, not down, as they did last year. Nice improvement on TFL's from last year. Up to 96 from 112, but it's a pretty good jump.

Under Dodge and Ford, the offense showed no similar 11 point jump from season-to-season.

Bullcrap. The offense averaged over a touchdown more per game last year. I agree that Ford needed to go, but St. Gary needs to deliver. He's improved the pass defense tremendously the past year in my estimation, but he needs more to work with on the DL.

He's gotten the ppg given up by the defense down from 47 to 35 in his two years on the job. Awesome. He needs to be held to the same standard as everyone else on the staff.

• Upvote 1

TFLF said:

We'll reap the benefit by challenging for, if not winning outright, the Sun Belt title in Canales first year here.

Offhand, I can't think of a Sun Belt opponents who has a defense coordinator with experience and success at the BCS level that Canales has. He will have no match in the league.

You read it here first: With Canales on board, choosing the quarterback, and calling the shots, the rest of the Sun Belt is chasing us now. We are the lead dog. Look at our butt, Sun Belt foes...that's as close as your going to get to beating it in 2010.

I issue the same warning to Rice and Army...and Kansas State better watch out as well because we'll be rolling like thunder by the end of the season! That right Wildcat Junior College...we now have a coach that won't be folding up the playbook after three series.

This is fantastic. You're probably high, but I do love me some delusion. I will eat crow if what you say doesn't happen, TFLFFLL. Gladly. :lol:

Edited by LongJim

I think Dodge will still be involved in gameplanning, especially offensively. I'm not sure what his role was with Ford here, but if Dodge was calling plays, then what the heck was Ford doing??

Your O.C. calls plays! Your O.C. picks the guys that he wants on the field when he calls the plays! It's no surprise that Dodge is saying these things...

We'll really get to see the changes on the first 4th & 1 play. Dodge will have to make the call to go for it or not, and Canales should have the play ready. No more 2 timeouts then kick a field goal nonsense...

:lol:

Before coach Canales is done here, y'all are going to be wearing gold-plated diapers!

Thank you for making another point of mine I never even thought of. The last time Deloach DC'ed against the TCU Horned Frogs for the Mean Green, in only his third year as DC, his nationally ranked defense held them at Amon Carter to a total of 178 yards.

Well Rick,

St. Gary or the great DC, has not lived up to the standard. I'm glad you like to sit and watch the other team score 35 points a game. We could have gotten a proven DC for what we are paying a OC. If the other team has 0 points, we win. By the way, we lost the 2002 game against TCU, because they scored 16. Another loss for The DC.

Edited by greenblooded43
  • Downvote 2

[quote name='greenblooded43' date='01 February 2010 - 03:48 PM' timestamp='1265060927'

Well Rick,

St. Gary or the great DC, has not lived up to the standard. I'm glad you like to sit and watch the other team score 35 points a game. We could have gotten a proven DC for what we are paying a OC. If the other team has 0 points, we win. By the way, we lost the 2002 game against TCU, because they scored 16. Another loss for The DC.

1) DeLoach IS a proven DC. Not saying he's gotten us back to where we need to be, but he IS a proven DC... And he's proven it here already.

2) If you think that a DC surrendering one touchdown and three field goals on the road against a 10 win OOC opponent is a failure by the DC... Especially when you consider that two of those field goals were 22 yarders and one was a 29 yarder (i.e.: 3 red zone stops and two of those coming within 5 yards of the goal line)... I don't know what to say.

Edited by TheTastyGreek