It is a sad sad day...

Travis

'Dell Dude' Arrested on Drug Charge

1 hour, 36 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Dude, yer gettin' busted!

AP Photo

The actor who gained fame and a cult following as the slacker "Steven" in commercials for Dell computers was arrested buying (news - external web site) a small bag of marijuana, police said.

Benjamin Curtis, a 22-year-old New York University drama student, was arraigned Monday on a misdemeanor drug possession charge. The charge assumes a suspect is not carrying more than a "use amount" — enough to roll several marijuana cigarettes.

Police said he was arrested Sunday night on the Lower East Side after officers on a drug detail spotted him buying a small bag of marijuana from Omar Mendez, 19. Mendez faces drug sale and possession charges.

Curtis' portrayal of a surfer type who proclaims, "Dude, yer gettin' a Dell!" drove up computer sales and spawned T-shirts, caps, and backpacks, along with Web sites and online fan clubs.

At the arraignment, Criminal Court Judge Ellen Coin advised Curtis that his case will be dismissed, and his record expunged, if he avoids arrest during the next year.

Asked if he understood, Curtis said, "Yes, ma'am."

Outside court, Curtis' lawyer, James Moschella, said: "We are confident that at the appropriate time, the charges will be dismissed."

I hope his career is over, his commercials were very annoying.

His "cult" following was actually the gay community and the reason one of the recent commercials had him with a girlfriend to disspell the rumors. If you notice, Jared from Subway has had his wife in a few commercials lately because he had a large gay following as well.

Ummm.....does it matter if he had a gay following or not? He was phased out because he wore out his usefulness....pure and simple.

Well since this is a DISCUSSION, I was just mentioning what I heard about this topic. Thats what most people do when they talk about something, they can bring up anything related to the topic. You obviously think it doesnt matter, but if every thread of this board had to MATTER to everyone, then alot more threads would be getting locked. Since we are all grown ups, I dont see the harm in participating in a discussion and offering my opinion and what I have heard about the topic. So Ummmm...... mad.gif

I just thought that it was interesting that Dell's sales really picked up after they started their compaign with this guy. To a certain segment of the general public he's always been annoying. And yet Dell's sales went up when they featured him. I suppose that the sales leveled off and that's why they took him out of the commercials, and not for any other reason.

Personally, anyone that punctuates their sentences with "Dude", "Yo" or "like" are (like) extremely annoying to me. ohmy.gif