The Latest Update On The Unt Oc Vacancy

gangrene

I got nothing...shame on me for thinking we could take advantage of all the current coaching staff changes and make a quick decision.

The lack of news/rumors on who may be in the running for OC can mean any of the following:

#1. Todd Dodge will assume the responsibilities of the OC and we're not going to fill the position, at least not with an OC.

#2. The interviewing process is so secretive (or we're interviewing coaches no one has heard of - think HS here) that no rumors have surfaced. :ph34r:

#3. Todd Dodge is too busy with recruiting to worry about finding an OC right now. :whistling1:

#4. We're just going to wait until "the dust settles" from all of the coaching changes and take what's left. :unsure:

#5. We're waiting until the self-imposed, 30-day posting of the job has ended to announce our decision. :blink:

#6. We've already hired an NFL assistant from the Saints, Vikings, NY Jets or Colts, and must wait until their season is over before making the announcement public. :lol:

Feel free to add your own theories...

Troy's HFC Larry Blakeney has 3 spots to fill: OC, RB's, and a QB or WR coach position.

Blakeney said he has many candidates, but he is not in a hurry to fill the positions.

Blakeney has been interviewing candidates, and hopes to have the positions

filled before national signing day.

Blakeney and his staff have been re-confirming the Troy commitments that former OC Brown

and RB's coach Scott had recruited to Troy.

From the GoTroyTrojans.com board-

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/i...-missing-pieces

I would say there are many candidates for the North Texas OC position, that Coach

Dodge has scheduled for a interview, as well as keeping up with the staff and

recruiting. Coach Dodge stated he expects to fill the OC position before national

signing day too.

All UNT jobs must be posted for 30 days before a hire can be made. So far, the only football jobs posted is "Assistant Coach" posted on Jan 13.

We can't hire anybody until Feb 12.

I demand proof of this ridiculous claim. :P Furthermore, I demand justification for why such a rule would be in place, considering no other university, within Texas or not, has to abide by such nonsense.

I got nothing...shame on me for thinking we could take advantage of all the current coaching staff changes and make a quick decision.

The lack of news/rumors on who may be in the running for OC can mean any of the following:

#1. Todd Dodge will assume the responsibilities of the OC and we're not going to fill the position, at least not with an OC.

#2. The interviewing process is so secretive (or we're interviewing coaches no one has heard of - think HS here) that no rumors have surfaced. :ph34r:

#3. Todd Dodge is too busy with recruiting to worry about finding an OC right now. :whistling1:

#4. We're just going to wait until "the dust settles" from all of the coaching changes and take what's left. :unsure:

#5. We're waiting until the self-imposed, 30-day posting of the job has ended to announce our decision. :blink:

#6. We've already hired an NFL assistant from the Saints, Vikings, NY Jets or Colts, and must wait until their season is over before making the announcement public. :lol:

Feel free to add your own theories...

Why are you working yourself up into such a froth? We have an offensive coordinator who is entering his 4th year at UNT. His name is Todd Dodge, and sorry to say, he is not going to make any drastic changes. He, right or wrong, believes in his offense. Oh, he may put a new wrinkle or two (i.e. maybe, just maybe a tight end). I think the change with Ford was on the horizon at the time of Coach Doge's evaluation, thus no change there at the time. There should have been, at least to send a message that what has happened here so for is unacceptable. But Todd Ford was OC in words in the program only. But if you think RV, or Dr. B (LOL) is going to make Todd Dodge bring in in an OC and hand over the keys to it, then I think you need to look back on the past three years. He has shown no flexibility in changing anything on the offense. Oh, I take that back, we do run the ball some. He has not at any point truly opened up the competition at quarterback. Yes, we made changes on the defensive side of the ball (bringing Deloach back, hiring coaches w/ experience). Imagine what we would do if we had that same flexibility on the offensive side of the ball. This hope of a true OC at this point is wishful thinking.

Why are you working yourself up into such a froth? We have an offensive coordinator who is entering his 4th year at UNT. His name is Todd Dodge, and sorry to say, he is not going to make any drastic changes. He, right or wrong, believes in his offense. Oh, he may put a new wrinkle or two (i.e. maybe, just maybe a tight end). I think the change with Ford was on the horizon at the time of Coach Doge's evaluation, thus no change there at the time. There should have been, at least to send a message that what has happened here so for is unacceptable. But Todd Ford was OC in words in the program only. But if you think RV, or Dr. B (LOL) is going to make Todd Dodge bring in in an OC and hand over the keys to it, then I think you need to look back on the past three years. He has shown no flexibility in changing anything on the offense. Oh, I take that back, we do run the ball some. He has not at any point truly opened up the competition at quarterback. Yes, we made changes on the defensive side of the ball (bringing Deloach back, hiring coaches w/ experience). Imagine what we would do if we had that same flexibility on the offensive side of the ball. This hope of a true OC at this point is wishful thinking.

You're right, I don't know what I was thinking. Why would someone who knows all there is to know about college football offenses, and has the best offense ever created, want to hire someone that may offer a different opinion?? And, as many others have already pointed out, there's not anything wrong with our offense - it's all the defense and special teams fault that we can't win more than two games a season. Why mess with perfection?? I was just plain crazy to think we'd ever consider hiring an offensive coach with experience in a system other than Dodge's.

I guess it could be worse?? We could have our head coach leave us for a high school job - Austin College head coach leaves for high school job

Wait, that would be worse, right??

How is it Texas Tech is hiring its new football staff right this moment and we camping on some "rule" of 30 days is beyond me.

Because it's never existed?

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/...nk=digger-topic

If Tech decides to hire McNeill, they can do so without any waiting period. However, if they hire a coach from outside the Raiders’ staff, they must post the opening and wait a minimum of 10 days before making the hiring.

OK, so where is the 30 day waiting period for North Texas coming from?

I don't know if the 30 day thing is real or not. But I did a quick web search and found a page with a number of jobs at Texas universities. A listing for NT was dated Dec. 14 and says "a review of applications will begin Jan 15." A job at TExas State was posted Jan 12 and the review starts Feb. 15. Both jobs are teaching positions, not coaches. It does not say there is a 30 day posting requirement for state schools, but the listings do wait 30 days or more.

Here's the link.

OK, so where is the 30 day waiting period for North Texas coming from?

This is the closest legit support of the "30-day rule" I could find.

Before the UNT system's trustees can elect Dr. Bataille president, Texas law requires a 21-day waiting period after her announcement as the sole finalist.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...t.2f6b4c28.html

When I was employed at El Paso CC personnel reported to me. We couldn't hire anyone without the 30 day notice...I never heard anything that indicated Athletics was different but the issue never came up.

One of the schools on the listing I found was El Pass CC and they had a listing dated Dec 14 and were taking applications till Jan 29.

I believe that the rule stems from funding. Since North Texas coaches are paid by the University, maybe the state law needs to be observed just like a teaching position? Other schools that have large foundations set up to pay their coaches might not have to abide by such a rule. And I think that a hire can be announced before that 30 days is up but the contract cannot start until the 30 days is up. These are all guesses but they seem to be logical enough... What do y'all think?

I believe that the rule stems from funding. Since North Texas coaches are paid by the University, maybe the state law needs to be observed just like a teaching position? Other schools that have large foundations set up to pay their coaches might not have to abide by such a rule. And I think that a hire can be announced before that 30 days is up but the contract cannot start until the 30 days is up. These are all guesses but they seem to be logical enough... What do y'all think?

I think someone here must work for UNT, know someone who does, or otherwise know some actual source of information about this "rule". Maybe they could inform us, or, maybe some real North Texas football story will come along that will take us beyond guessing over personnel rules and starting threads about SMU football as well as threads about how those SMU threads generate more buzz than threads about North Texas football.

i think you are accurate in your comments. just because we post a teaching position for a specified length of time does not necessarily mean we can't commit to an individual before hand, but probably must wait until after posting date to make it official. if there is a 30 day waiting period, i t must be university policy, not state.