Source: Decision Made

Brett Vito

Just wait until next season.

Another 10+ loss year, and the annual review might require Dodge to coach in a sun dress and bonnet with his sac tucked back between his legs.

But we still wouldn't fire him.

So what happened....yesterday you were more confident that Dodge was gone than you were of Mendoza being fired or of bringing DeLoach back. You've got a pretty solid track record as far as insider information goes. What happened? Or is this not over yet?

So what happened....yesterday you were more confident that Dodge was gone than you were of Mendoza being fired or of bringing DeLoach back. You've got a pretty solid track record as far as insider information goes. What happened? Or is this not over yet?

I am completely baffled by what's going on here.

But another member of the North Texas family that I talked to last night says this reminds him of 2001, when a coach was fired and then un-fired.

I am completely baffled by what's going on here.

But another member of the North Texas family that I talked to last night says this reminds him of 2001, when a coach was fired and then un-fired.

Could the scheduled team meeting that was cancelled have been to announce to the team the Dodge was gone, and then Dodge changed RV's mind in the meeting?

If so, RV may be tying his future to Dodge's future. I love what RV has done for this program, but I don't know if he survives next year if he recommends Dodge's return and we only win 3 games (which I think is optomistic).

It must be the cold front, but I couldn't agree more with TFLF on this except I do have reservations about moving Peterson to OC when his experience is with the Wishbone/Flexbone.

I think Dodge's greatest attribute is his PR skills. He will be in a very similar situation that Mack Brown is now in at UT. Everyone at UT wanted Brown gone years ago until they hired great coordinators to run the show and to allow Brown to handle the Head Coaching duties and to be the salesman for the program. I have no doubt that Dodge can succeed in this role, but the right assistants have to be brought in.

For all of you saying this is spineless, etc.... This sort of thing occurs in the coaching ranks all the time. Assistants are let go every year and many times to save the hide of the head coach. It is just the nature of the beast.

I think 7 wins is the minimum for next year.

I think 7 wins is the minimum for next year.

Are you saying you think we will win 7 or that Dodge needs to win 7 to keep his job?

If you are saying that we win 7 with Dodge returning, I will take all the action you wanna give. Hell, I'll take out a loan if I don't have enough cash on hand to match.

Edited by UNT90

For all of you saying this is spineless, etc.... This sort of thing occurs in the coaching ranks all the time. Assistants are let go every year and many times to save the hide of the head coach. It is just the nature of the beast.

Yep, this thing does occur all the time....but not usually every year for 3 years are multiple assistants fired like has been done at UNT under Dodge. Dodge has now fired 2-3 of his "closest" friends. To me, this situation stinks.

I'm curious as to whether or not a coach has ever been retained after 3 full seasons with less than 5 wins? Can anyone think of that list?

Ok.. now, let's combine that with a question of how many coaches have been retained after essentially being forced to fire their entire staff over a three year span (with 5 wins)? Anyone?

...so, if this happens, I guess we're saying it's been all these other lousy coaches Dodge hired that have been holding Dodge back?

When you get an answer on this, let me know. I am going to say none for now though until someone proves me wrong. Once again, I may need to post the story TTG did, but the chances of this team finishing with an above .500 record with this coach next season are very close to 0.

I just find it disappointing that we have now held responsible almost everyone Dodge has hired, but have not held responsible the man who hired them.

Amazing.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

If so, RV may be tying his future to Dodge's future. I love what RV has done for this program, but I don't know if he survives next year if he recommends Dodge's return and we only win 3 games (which I think is optomistic).

Unless he gets caught with a dead girl or a live boy -- as the saying goes -- I don't think RV could do anything that would get him canned before the opening of the stadium that was approved during his run as AD.

Bingo. All this says it that it was all these other lousy coaches that were the problem - not Football Trilli. Have we ever seen such scapegoating?

It happens all the time with floundering programs, college or pro. Here in Jacksonville, Jack Del Rio fires a few assistants after every lousy season. I don't know how he gets prospective new hires to take his calls. Any OC or DC worth a crap would know to avoid the Jags.

It happens all the time with floundering programs, college or pro. Here in Jacksonville, Jack Del Rio fires a few assistants after every lousy season. I don't know how he gets prospective new hires to take his calls. Any OC or DC worth a crap would know to avoid the Jags.

Coaching in the NFL is a totally different animal. Why do you think places like Dallas & Oakland have coaches lined up to work? You're willing to put up with the craziest of the micro managing bosses just to get a shot & paycheck at the elite level. It's the very same reason Dodge is willing to walk around without his balls cut off in order to remain Head Coach at a FBS school.

• Upvote 1

The team must win 7 for Dodge to be retained. I haven't looked at the schedule or even considered a prediction for next year.

7 wins better be an absolute, in my opinion they should print it on all the 2010 fan guides, season tickets, hell mount it above the Jumbo-tron. I don't care if we have 6 wins, and the last game goes septuple overtimes with half the team in the hospital recovering from swine flu and we lose by 1 point again.

7 will get you five. If he does pull it off it might mean TD has really started to figure it out, and the ball will be rolling.

Edited by KingDL1

7 wins better be an absolute, in my opinion they should print it on all the 2010 fan guides, season tickets, hell mount it above the Jumbo-tron. I don't care we have 6 wins, and the last game goes septuple overtimes with half the team in the hospital recovering from swine flu and we lose by 1 point again.

7 will get you five. If he does pull it off it might mean TD has really started to figure it out, and the ball will be rolling.

If 7 wins is an absolute, then you should just make the move now. What SEVEN teams are we going to beat? Is a new OC going to be able to give a fair tryout for QB?

7 wins better be an absolute, in my opinion they should print it on all the 2010 fan guides, season tickets, hell mount it above the Jumbo-tron. I don't care we have 6 wins, and the last game goes septuple overtimes with half the team in the hospital recovering from swine flu and we lose by 1 point again.

Why would 7 be the standard for him to get year 5? Heck, 2 was the standard this year. Oh and don't get me wrong.......I agree with your standard. I'm just saying that the power brokers at NT.......seem to have much lower ones.

Edited by SUMG

Can we get the mods to put a 48 hour moratorium on enforcing the 'No cussing' rule?

Unbelievably, assuming this report is true, our administration has found yet another way to make our situation even more bleak. Of all the options out there, we choose the one that makes our HC look the most spineless. Awesome.

The last 4 years have taught me to NEVER, EVER question how things could possibly get any worse. Unbelievable.

OMG...didn't realize there was a " no cussing" rule....sorry !

Why would 7 be the standard for him to get year 5? Heck, 2 was the standard this year. Oh and don't get me wrong.......I agree with your standard. I'm just saying that the power brokers at NT.......seem to have much lower ones.

Because that would be the straw that breaks my back, and I know several of my friends also. I believe there is real pressure out there on RV and I think with the new stadium expectations from everyone are going to increase.

Because that would be the straw that breaks my back, and I know several of my friends also. I believe there is real pressure out there on RV and I think with the new stadium expectations from everyone are going to increase.

I am afraid and only time will tell, that bringing Dodge back for a fourth year will be the straw that breaks a lot of backs in that we will see a larger than expected decrease in season ticket sales next year.

I am afraid and only time will tell, that bringing Dodge back for a fourth year will be the straw that breaks a lot of backs in that we will see a larger than expected decrease in season ticket sales next year.

I am OK with Dodge coming back next year under these circumstances, I would like to see him succeed.

But feelings and money aside the optimal choice would be a new coach hands down.

I am OK with Dodge coming back next year under these circumstances, I would like to see him succeed.

But feelings and money aside the optimal choice would be a new coach hands down.

I think you are just delaying the inevitable. I said this team would win 3 games this year and they didn't make it to that. I have my doubts that Ford was calling many of the plays this year anyways and I also have my doubts that we are going to get an OC in here that is any good or that Dodge will allow to run the offense. This type of deal reminds me of what Frank Broyles forced Nutt to do his next to last year - hire a new OC or lose your job. Nutt hired him, but never allowed him to run anything but Nutt's offense.

If I had been the one establishing the criteria for Dodge to return, it would include:

1. He turns over playcalling to the coordinator(s).

2. No assumption of starting positions, including Riley.

3. The first open position to be filled is for someone who has a proven record of successfully coaching kicking units at the FBS level, and that person gets to recruit enough players to feel confident about our ability to do trick (for us), special teams plays, like punts, field goals, and PAT kicks.

Edited by eulessismore