Source: Decision Made

Brett Vito

discussed here

Todd Dodge needed to take Naughty By Nature's advice and be O.P.P. hip from the very start. But, he didn't...and he wasn't. June Jones is down with O.P.P. and is doing well with it...just like the countless examples of others before (Mack at Texas, Stoops at OU, Kragthorpe at Tulsa, Graham at Rice, etc., etc., etc.).

Those of us who have talked about having high school coaches being a detriment have long been labeled "negative nancies" and other such garbage. But, the truth is the truth. We are going to have about the same talent as every other Sun Belt school no matter who the head coach is. The difference is what happens once those guys are on campus. If they are to develop at all, they have to have coaches who know how to do it.

Football up here simply isn't the same as football at the high school level. The same as NFL football isn't the same as football down here in college. Todd Dodge has got to see it by now. He's drizzled off a high school coach every offseason so far. This year he needs to drizzle off two.

If I were Todd Dodge, these would be my offseason moves:

(1) Ford and George, gone

(2) Move Chuck Peterson back to offensive side of the ball, where he spent 17 years at Air Force as its receivers coach, then QB coach and offensive coordinator. Give him the title, co-offensive coordinator/pass game coordinator

(3) Elevate Spencer Leftwich to co-offensive coordinator/run game coordinator

(4) Elevate Gary DeLoach to full assitant head coach, and give him and Mike Nelson co-defensive coordinator roles

(5) Elevate Shelton Gandy, our best recruiter, to recruiting coordinator, freeing up Peterson who will have more duties already as Pass Game OC.

(6) Elevate Carlton Buckels to secondary coach

(7) Hire a safeties coach

(8) Hire a receivers coach

(9) Sign a JUCO QB with height, size and a long ball arm to compete immediately for the starting QB job

(10) Sign a prep QB with height, size and a long ball arm to compete immediately for the starting QB job

(11) Move Riley to back-up QB/WR ala Ryan Tannehill at Texas A&M

Why move Peterson? Peterson's strengths and experience are not on the defensive side of the ball. We're five games into 2009 and only have two interceptions - both by the same player, Royce Hill...a cornerback under the charge of Carlton Buckels. That isn't much better than the past two seasons. Put Peterson back in his natural coaching position. He's got a ton more experience coordinating offenses and developing QBs and WRs at this level...and lot more than George, Ford, and Dodge combined. Put it to use.

Swallow your pride and go look at how many interceptions SMU has this year. I'll save you the time: through five games they've got 13...10 by the secondary. They are coached by Derrick Odum, who coached safeties at Utah before June Jones hired him. His best pupil at Utah - current San Diego Charger Eric Weddle. Odum was also secondary coach for Art Briles at Houston in 2003 and 2004, before going back to coach at his alma mater, Utah.

Our front seven is doing well under Nelson and Deloach. The secondary is okay. It would do better with Buckels in charge with an experienced safeties coach helping.

The coaching moves shouldn't bust the budget because you are hiring in position coaches, not coordinators. You lose two and hire two, while putting the rest where they belong. Getting a bona fide trigger man at QB would back off opposing defenses for good, every game.

If Todd Dodge does all eleven of those things, I personally guarantee that North Texas will beat Kansas State next year as well as Army and Rice, and will hang with Clemson the entire game. And, I will also guarantee that if he makes no changes at all to his coaching staff, and doesn't have a real difference maker at QB in 2010, we could easily be 0-4 against a very favorable out of conference schedule.

Of course...these changes would mean Todd Dodge swallowing his pride as well. If he can do that, the biggest learning curve of all will have been attained...you can't be cowboy in 21st century college football.

After further thought this seems really unlikely, who of any quality would come and work for a lame duck HC. Unless they were stepping in line to be the next head coach. I mean at best TD can only guarantee a year on staff, it just seems weak.

After further thought this seems really unlikely, who of any quality would come and work for a lame duck HC. Unless they were stepping in line to be the next head coach. I mean at best TD can only guarantee a year on staff, it just seems weak.

guess we will see if the players truly do believe in TD.

BTW who is David Rausch ?

Edited by untbowler

They all only get a guarantee of one year, as all assistant coaches only get a one year contract.

I would think this looks like a sinking ship and that one year would most likely be it. Where in a Coaching staff on the rise you have a more foreseeable future, and if you are a quality coach you know that it would be a good run, I don't see a good run here. I hope I am wrong and if this is the scenario that gets played out we see some extraordinary coaches come in.

At least the only high school coach we'll have left on staff is the head coach. Wait, oh nevermind....

Kinda sad to see Clayton George go only because he's an alum.

As to having difficulty finding assistant coaches because Dodge can only promise a year I don't think that'll be an issue. Mr. Mosley has all but guaranteed 7 wins next season so surely Dodge will get an extension, right? :no: If not then surely the following conversation could take place:

Jeff Bower: Hello.

RV: Jeff, hey what's up? You busy?

Jeff Bower: Not at the moment.

RV: Of course you're not cuz you're not coaching...boy do I have a solution to that problem for you!!

Jeff Bower: Uhhh, ok. What?

RV: How would you like to come in and be the OC to our lame duck high school coach for a year? Then we may, or may not, make you head coach if he doesn't turn things around. Sounds like fun doesn't it, admit it. Hello? Hello? Hellooooo.... Damnit he hung up!!!

Edited by emmitt01

From an FLF post.

"Why move Peterson? Peterson's strengths and experience are not on the defensive side of the ball. We're five games into 2009 and only have two interceptions - both by the same player, Royce Hill...a cornerback under the charge of Carlton Buckels. That isn't much better than the past two seasons. Put Peterson back in his natural coaching position. He's got a ton more experience coordinating offenses and developing QBs and WRs at this level...and lot more than George, Ford, and Dodge combined. Put it to use."

From Petersen's bio

Prior to North Texas, Petersen spent 17 years at Air Force. While with the Falcons, Petersen served as OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR for seven seasons and quarterbacks coach for 10 seasons. He also coached wide receivers from 1991-1996.

He was awarded to honor of assistant coach of the year for Division 1 in 2003 by the American Football Coaches Association, the highest honor that an assistant coach can earn.

So what coach in their right mind would jump into this burning building? You're only guaranteed a year at best???????

RV = Jerruh Jones

TD = Dave Campo

I wonder if RV will relay under center plays on 3rd & 1 down from his box directly to TD's headset like Al Davis & Jerruh Jones?

Edited by Got5onIt

I'm curious as to whether or not a coach has ever been retained after 3 full seasons with less than 5 wins? Can anyone think of that list?

Ok.. now, let's combine that with a question of how many coaches have been retained after essentially being forced to fire their entire staff over a three year span (with 5 wins)? Anyone?

...so, if this happens, I guess we're saying it's been all these other lousy coaches Dodge hired that have been holding Dodge back?

From an FLF post.

"Why move Peterson? Peterson's strengths and experience are not on the defensive side of the ball. We're five games into 2009 and only have two interceptions - both by the same player, Royce Hill...a cornerback under the charge of Carlton Buckels. That isn't much better than the past two seasons. Put Peterson back in his natural coaching position. He's got a ton more experience coordinating offenses and developing QBs and WRs at this level...and lot more than George, Ford, and Dodge combined. Put it to use."

From Petersen's bio

Prior to North Texas, Petersen spent 17 years at Air Force. While with the Falcons, Petersen served as OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR for seven seasons and quarterbacks coach for 10 seasons. He also coached wide receivers from 1991-1996.

He was awarded to honor of assistant coach of the year for Division 1 in 2003 by the American Football Coaches Association, the highest honor that an assistant coach can earn.

Didn't Air Force run the option when Peterson was there? It certainly wasn't the spread.

From an FLF post.

From Petersen's bio

Yeah, and if he did those things at Air Force.....he was coordinating and coaching players in the wishbone. The wishbone. So I'm not sure the spread would be his area of expertise.

Assistants are a year to year hire. It's a no-brainer that helping put out the fire in the burning building adds to your resume'.

I would argue a quality assistant coach would not have to take a job that looked like it was a one year deal. Why go through the moving process if you are likely out in a year? I hope I am wrong really, but man it seems really counter intuitive. I would think a quality coach would have better options.