Dodge Poll

UNTflyer

CG.

We have had troubles in the RZ, bad penalties, turn the ball over consistently and have even been burdened by bad coaching decisions at time.

Yet, even with all of these mistakes, our team has been very competitive this year on the field. I would not be surprised if we have racked up more yards on offense than our opponents overall. That tells me that this team is VERY close to turning the corner.

Do I blame the coaches as well as the players for the mistakes ? Absolutely.

But, with a few tweaks here and there and next year we are competing for the conference title. I don't want to even take a chance on the possibility of things blowing up. And, I really believe that next year we will start to put teams away when we should. All we need is a break or two to go our way.

One more year for TD. That is what I want personally. We wanted improvement this year and we have seen it. Unfortunately, the results have not been coming as victories. And, I am just as sick of losing as everyone else. Heck, I threw my seat cushions after yesterdays game for the first time since watching this team in 1986 :)

Teams have a lot of film on Dodge & Co now. Early on, Ball St. was just bad & Ohio's only game film was from BSU the week before in which Riley ran the zone read 75% of the game. The monsoon was in our favor as well, IMO. Ohio would win easily if the game were played again at this point. That's why I don't buy the improvement crap. Coaching is killing the program.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Let's just say for kicks he is canned , would you support our next coach for a 4th year if he too goes 5 - 31 after his 1st 3 seasons. Doesn't matter who it is , what kind of recruit he gets , how close our games our , who we beat or lose to .... just if he goes 5 - 31 after 3 years would you still support him ?

No need to explain , just a simple yes or no question.

My answer is no but I feel compelled to explain.

I've looked at a lot of coaching records in the Data Warehouse and I've yet to find one who failed in his first three years and later found success. The other factor is that we are trying to build a fanbase and three more consecutive losing seasons would be a disaster.

Okay, but by that logic, why did SMU, MTSU, FIU, and others get an improvment within 2 years? How does being one or two recruits away from an 8 win season HINDER a new coach?!?

I don't buy that more talent helps us win more. Trilli had some pretty good talent and did very little with it. If I remember correctly, Newman had some good talent and didn't do much with it only to have Gales take the same talent to the Tourney (Newman was ver successful in the high school ranks).

NO! The man has assembled a maturing team, good young men with character. Todd Dodge does not stop drives with fumbles, interceptions, blocked kicks and penalties. The kids have to perform. The man has assembled a better staff and done a much better job of putting a competitive team on the field this year. He has built a team almost from scratch and the fruit ripens next year. Regardless of the record, he has earned the right to see this through next year in my book. I do not want to start over again.

CG.

I think when we all look back at this season in a few weeks, we will see the progress. Right now we are all mad as hell from all the late game disasters that have occurred.

I agree with the second part there. The problem I have with the first part is that there haven't been any changes in the coaching in those late game disasters since we started experiencing them (that I can tell). By the way, I haven't voted in the poll yet; I'm leaning towards Dodge being reassigned to the North Texas Foundation, or whatever is similar to what McWilliams was reassigned to at Texas.

Edited by eulessismore

No. I would give him one more year to show large improvement. No reason to blow everything up this year. What coach worth having would want to coach here the way things have been going? Whoever we'd get would be a crapshoot so we might as well give Dodge another year.

Though if Mangino became available..hmmm... who wouldn't want to see the fat man wearing green?

No. I would give him one more year to show large improvement. No reason to blow everything up this year. What coach worth having would want to coach here the way things have been going? Whoever we'd get would be a crapshoot so we might as well give Dodge another year.

Though if Mangino became available..hmmm... who wouldn't want to see the fat man wearing green?

I wouldn't

I think if you notice how many schools were in the study that he did, you will note that many schools - especially schools like us - keep failing coaches around for 4 or 5 years. His study showed it was very unlikely that they would succeed after 3 terrible years. But it also showed that plenty of coaches fail and get more time to keep trying.

For the record, I haven't been in favor of firing Dodge, but the 2 time-outs in a row at the end of the game may have just convinced me.

It was a bad sign when Todd Dodge got off to the worst start of any coach in the history of Sun Belt football. And it was a disappointing milestone when, one year later, he set the new record for longest conference losing streak in Sun Belt history. There have been lots of discouraging signs along the way. But as bad as the Todd Dodge Equivalent Futility List may have been... As depressing as the stats for coaches who start their tenure with 3 sub-.500 seasons were... Those could all be dismissed by pointing to one or two rare exceptions.

But would you like to know the names of all the coaches, dating back to 1881, that have had three straight seasons of double-digit losses to start their tenure at a school and have then gone on to reach .500 in any subsequent season for that school?

I can tell you.

____________.

There you go.

It's never happened in the history of NCAA football.

Not one time, by any coach, at any school, in any era, over a period of nearly 130 years.

Ever.

If Dodge gets fired, anyone who thinks it was premature should consider that nifty historical tidbit and weigh it against our likelihood of beating Arkansas State.

It was a bad sign when Todd Dodge got off to the worst start of any coach in the history of Sun Belt football. And it was a disappointing milestone when, one year later, he set the new record for longest conference losing streak in Sun Belt history. There have been lots of discouraging signs along the way. But as bad as the Todd Dodge Equivalent Futility List may have been... As depressing as the stats for coaches who start their tenure with 3 sub-.500 seasons were... Those could all be dismissed by pointing to one or two rare exceptions.

But would you like to know the names of all the coaches, dating back to 1881, that have had three straight seasons of double-digit losses to start their tenure at a school and have then gone on to reach .500 in any subsequent season for that school?

I can tell you.

____________.

There you go.

Not one time, by any coach, at any school, in any era, over a period of nearly 130 years.

Ever.

If Dodge gets fired, anyone who thinks it was premature should consider that nifty historical tidbit and weigh it against our likelihood of beating Arkansas State.

The prosecution rests?

Edited by CMJ

Just to clear - Tasty and I aren't the same guy. :) I try never to self quote.

I am a shameless self-promoter.

Also, Courtland and I have been seen in the same place at the same time.

Of course... I wear glasses, but he doesn't. It's a classic secret identity technique. :ph34r:

Stay

I voted for change a year ago. Sometimes the stimulus takes a little longer; based on the mess. Actually, I'm not against extending him another year! (a little more confidence and patience with UNT coaches has always worked for everyone not named Tina Slinker) We can't change coaches now (wasted recruiting class) or can afford it. Don't get out of the stock market when its tanking; invest more.

Btw, if Dodge can sign Javia Hall, he helps next year along with William Cole as a wildcat type QB. Additionally, sign the best Juco QB you can get.

If RV can't go get Dennis Francione, TD should be here next year.

Stay

I voted for change a year ago. Sometimes the stimulus takes a little longer; based on the mess. Actually, I'm not against extending him another year! (a little more confidence and patience with UNT coaches has always worked for everyone not named Tina Slinker) We can't change coaches now (wasted recruiting class) or can afford it. Don't get out of the stock market when its tanking; invest more.

Btw, if Dodge can sign Javia Hall, he helps next year along with William Cole as a wildcat type QB. Additionally, sign the best Juco QB you can get.

If RV can't go get Dennis Francione, TD should be here next year.

What if he doesn't keep Hall ? This upcoming class is already suspect to me

I can tell you.

____________.

There you go.

Ever.

so if north texas beats arkansas state, your research won't matter!!!! hell ya...beat arky state and stay coaching the mean green!!!

just trying to find a silver lining!

Edited by radiogreen

Go - even if we could forget the bad play calling, and the on-the-field screw ups (turnovers, bad time outs, etc.), and the 5-30 record... we still have two realitys that we CANNOT forget. First - This team is NOT getting any better and talented players are leaving. (Justin Padron, Givanni Vizza, etc..) and they ALL wanted out for the reasons we are seeing every Saturday? Second - We have 35K students attending UNT right now. They are about to start paying additional fees for a new stadium, and many of them now think passing that vote may have been a mistake? No one wants to continually watch a team lose at home. It's bad for morale and kills any growth momentum the program could have. People are actually leaving at halftime now... I never saw that even when DD was coaching here? The TD experiment was a great risk, and one that needed to be tried. Okay, we tried. Now we need to right the ship. Fix this thing before it sinks completely.

Just my two cents...

GMG!!!

Stay! 100% Way too much good construction going on to quit on this job site.

The offense continues to improve, and impress me. Another 400yds plus of offense in this game.

Huge numbers of quality experienced players return next year, and many very good redshirts will added.

The offense will be even better next season. I know for a fact, the offense will have additional weapons to use.

Who forecast what a star Lance Dunbar would become, or Darius Carey becoming a quality WR? I could name

several offensive players that have grown up this season- including Riley Dodge.

Coach Dodge and his staff will continue to be successful with recruiting, with quality athletes.

The biggest bummer for me has been the defense.

IMHO, the defense did not help to win games this year, and was directly responsible for the close losses, as well as the melt downs. DC Gary DeLoach is directly responsible for the defense. Even DeLoach said, he does not have all the horses he needs right now. This is Deloach's second season, and DL Coach Mike Nelson's first year.

The defense will develop. For the defensive players- adding a year of experience makes a big difference.

AK 47, Cook, KC, Phillips, Penson, Cantley, just to name a few, are all young defensive players that will help

develop the defense. A year of experience makes a good positive for next years defense, and our new

S/C, Coach Gallahan (sp?), will have a full year to implement his S/C program.

If the defense had stopped 5 teams, NT could be sitting at 7-4 right now. Who would be calling for the

termination of Coach Dodge- no one. NT fans would be wanting to extend his contract

Stay! 100% Way too much good construction going on to quit on this job site.

The offense continues to improve, and impress me. Another 400yds plus of offense in this game.

Huge numbers of quality experienced players return next year, and many very good redshirts will added.

The offense will be even better next season. I know for a fact, the offense will have additional weapons to use.

Who forecast what a star Lance Dunbar would become, or Darius Carey becoming a quality WR? I could name

several offensive players that have grown up this season- including Riley Dodge.

Coach Dodge and his staff will continue to be successful with recruiting, with quality athletes.

The biggest bummer for me has been the defense.

IMHO, the defense did not help to win games this year, and was directly responsible for the close losses, as well as the melt downs. DC Gary DeLoach is directly responsible for the defense. Even DeLoach said, he does not have all the horses he needs right now. This is Deloach's second season, and DL Coach Mike Nelson's first year.

The defense will develop. For the defensive players- adding a year of experience makes a big difference.

AK 47, Cook, KC, Phillips, Penson, Cantley, just to name a few, are all young defensive players that will help

develop the defense. A year of experience makes a good positive for next years defense, and our new

S/C, Coach Gallahan (sp?), will have a full year to implement his S/C program.

If the defense had stopped 5 teams, NT could be sitting at 7-4 right now. Who would be calling for the

termination of Coach Dodge- no one. NT fans would be wanting to extend his contract

Here's another take on the defensive analysis:

What if the offense hadn't put them in a hole with so many turnovers during those close losses? Predictable play calling, and telegraphing throws has caused a bevy of turnovers this year. Hell, I've stood on the sidelines for several games, and the opposing coaches are yelling out the play to their defense before the ball is snapped. Not good. There is yardage, no question; but with these athletes there should be. What worries me is the lack of production in the redzone and lack of points (ie meaningless yards). This offense is very very conservative and predictable. If you bring in a guy with a history in the spread (do not want to change from the spread with the current personnel) who can utilize all of the talent on this team, and come up with a coherent game plan that can move the ball wherever it is on the field, can score in the redzone, and for crying out loud, will not have the opposing coaches screaming out the play before the ball is snapped, then you will have an offense that not only puts up yards, but one that protects the football and scores points; thus keeping your defense off the field, and you'll flat out win more ballgames.

We have had 3 years of Dodge and Ford, and it simply does not work. Though the yardage has increased, the talent is not being used to it's fullest potential. I promise Darius Carey can run more than a bubble screen route, yet that's all he seems to catch.