Vic Trilli Vs. Todd Dodge

SUMG

Being from the Northeast I gravitated to the NT Basketball program first then eventually football 00-04.

I am starting to get the same feeling I got watching Vic all those nights in the Superpit. It is eerie because he sure did recruit some talent, ala Dodge.

One good thing was I did find out about GMG/Harry'sMeanGreenReport due to those games

nukebanner2.gif

I'll copy myself from my Football Trilli post on the "Must Win Games" thread (cocky?):

We hire a coach who finally has energy and positivity. He loves to talk up NT to anyone who will listen, and sure makes us all feel good at first. You can't find a nicer guy.

He knows TEXAS prep talent, and has inroads with TX high school coaches we've never had before. Suddenly he's recruiting players the likes of which we don't usually get a sniff of at NT. Recruiting classes are ranked higher than they've been in decades, and excitement builds.

His work and hiring is the primary reason for significant facility improvements we can all agree are long overdue and a large positive. He's very proud of these improvements, telling anyone who will listen how we're on the right track and to invest in the program.

He brings an exciting new offense, up tempo and high scoring, designed to utilize the ample talents of his prize recruits. The fan base is energized by this, relieved to be freed of the moderately successful but dull, rigid system of the previous coach.

He almost immediately begins playing more freshmen, these highly touted recruits there to implement his new system.

Problem is, he can't coach. Not a lick.

His first few years are arguably the worst in school history and possibly the worst in the country over that stretch.

The most prominent of his big time recruits, and effectively his team leader, seems to be disheartened by losses and style, and transfers after only two years to an in state Big XII power with no promise of playing time.

Others transfer as well, and many of his top recruits have problems with discipline or grades. Nothing serious, but issues here and there that illustrate a lack of discipline.

His offense scores points, and we're up in most scoring statistics from the previous coach. Problem is, it's sloppy, inefficient, turns the ball over, and fundamentally unsound.

Also, the team plays NO defense. None. It's routinely ranked at the bottom of the conference in every defensive statistic.

There are signs of progress, a late season big win here and there, but it never amounts to anything.

After four years, he's won less than 19% of his games, a staggering number. He never sniffs a sliver of the success the previous "uninspiring" coach did, nor the success of any coach before that.

This is like the Lincoln/Kennedy thing, folks. Zombie Vic Trilli is coaching our football team.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

I'll copy myself from my Football Trilli post on the "Must Win Games" thread (cocky?):

We hire a coach who finally has energy and positivity. He loves to talk up NT to anyone who will listen, and sure makes us all feel good at first. You can't find a nicer guy.

He knows TEXAS prep talent, and has inroads with TX high school coaches we've never had before. Suddenly he's recruiting players the likes of which we don't usually get a sniff of at NT. Recruiting classes are ranked higher than they've been in decades, and excitement builds.

His work and hiring is the primary reason for significant facility improvements we can all agree are long overdue and a large positive. He's very proud of these improvements, telling anyone who will listen how we're on the right track and to invest in the program.

He brings an exciting new offense, up tempo and high scoring, designed to utilize the ample talents of his prize recruits. The fan base is energized by this, relieved to be freed of the moderately successful but dull, rigid system of the previous coach.

He almost immediately begins playing more freshmen, these highly touted recruits there to implement his new system.

Problem is, he can't coach. Not a lick.

His first few years are arguably the worst in school history and possibly the worst in the country over that stretch.

The most prominent of his big time recruits, and effectively his team leader, seems to be disheartened by losses and style, and transfers after only two years to an in state Big XII power with no promise of playing time.

Others transfer as well, and many of his top recruits have problems with discipline or grades. Nothing serious, but issues here and there that illustrate a lack of discipline.

His offense scores points, and we're up in most scoring statistics from the previous coach. Problem is, it's sloppy, inefficient, turns the ball over, and fundamentally unsound.

Also, the team plays NO defense. None. It's routinely ranked at the bottom of the conference in every defensive statistic.

There are signs of progress, a late season big win here and there, but it never amounts to anything.

After four years, he's won less than 19% of his games, a staggering number. He never sniffs a sliver of the success the previous "uninspiring" coach did, nor the success of any coach before that.

This is like the Lincoln/Kennedy thing, folks. Zombie Vic Trilli is coaching our football team.

This is so money, I can't even believe how close this comparison is on EVERY level. Trilli was such a great guy, but his coaching acumen was somewhere near your spare Denton YMCA basketball coach. Heck, the old Ryan coach one time mentioned that Trilli couldn't win in THEIR DISTRICT, much less at UNT. Sure it was probably an exaggeration, but it hit home with me when he said it. I just remember when Maryland beat us by 75 points in one game his first year at UNT and I thought to myself, Division II teams don't lose that badly to Kansas or UNC or Kentucky. But, I still bought into him completely and just thought success would show up soon. Then when Big West/ SBC teams would beat us by 30 at the Super Pit in front of 9500 empty green seats, I knew that I ws just a little wrong about Trilli, which is sadly how I now feel about Dodge. I am not sure, but I think Trilli got 4 years here, which is what I believe Dodge will get, too. The Zombie has returned!!

Vic Trilli will always be honored by myself and all mean green fans for replacing all of the Texas Longhorn Orange Seats with Dark Green Mean Green seats in the Super Pit....

He oversaw this entire project and it was completed. Also Vic Trilli was a true coach standing by the side of one of his players that was diagnosed with colon cancer and died shortly afterwards, he traveled all the way to his funeral to see his family and wish them well.

Then when he returned to Denton the following day, he was was fired by our new AD Rick Villareal.

Our then coach Darrell Dickey was fired the same season after having battled diabetes, gallbladder surgery, and a mild heart attack.

Karma's a bitch isn't RV.....

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Vic Trilli will always be honored by myself and all mean green fans for replacing all of the Texas Longhorn Orange Seats with Dark Green Mean Green seats in the Super Pit....

He oversaw this entire project and it was completed. Also Vic Trilli was a true coach standing by the side of one of his players that was diagnosed with colon cancer and died shortly afterwards, he traveled all the way to his funeral to see his family and wish them well.

Then when he returned to Denton the following day, he was was fired by our new AD Rick Villareal.

Our then coach Darrell Dickey was fired the same season after having battled diabetes, gallbladder surgery, and a mild heart attack.

Business is business. So we should keep crappy coaches that are extraordinary human beings?

I think relations are still good with Vic. He got a money game from us tonight for Newman

Edited by Green Nightmare

I would take Dodge over DD any day. There is no doubt it was time for DD to go I am sorry you missed that.

In honor of Vic T being in town for the Newman game:

Winning percentages:

Trilli: 20 wins, 87 losses = .187

Dodge (so far): 5 wins, 28 losses = .151

Hey Good Buddy, you are suppose to enjoy the smell the fall air when you are out walking your dogs, not thinking something up like this to post. :D But it is interesting, just wanted to rib you.