College Football Rival Trophies

UNTflyer

Guest GrayEagleOne

If someone could talk them into it....the Texas Metro trophy. If we could get into a conference with Houston we could make a map of Texas with the tallest buildings in the DFW Metroplex and Houston. If we can't get in the same conference, play them every year anyway. If someone has a better idea about the trophy; fire away but they would be a great rival.

If someone could talk them into it....the Texas Metro trophy. If we could get into a conference with Houston we could make a map of Texas with the tallest buildings in the DFW Metroplex and Houston. If we can't get in the same conference, play them every year anyway. If someone has a better idea about the trophy; fire away but they would be a great rival.

My idea is the Trinity Fork - a giant silver fork awarded to the winner of the SMU-UNT game. Previously, I had proposed this as a 3-way series trophy kind of like the Commander-in-Chief trophy but TCU won't play us.

The problem is, every D-1 school in Texas has a big rivalry already established. Houston has Rice. Smu has Tcu. Sure they could add a rival and Houston would be a good one, since none of their former SWC rivals want to recognize them as such.

We could probably start something with Arkansas State, but that wouldn't hold much appeal within the state of texas.

The best case for us establishing a consistent interstate rivalry would be to get Texas State to move up to the Sun Belt. We've played each other more than anyone else, we're comparably sized, and we both have growing student bodies (and they too have a really attractive crop of coeds). It's an easy drive, we've got history, we share a state- all the ingredients for a good rivalry.

The problem is, every D-1 school in Texas has a big rivalry already established. Houston has Rice. Smu has Tcu. Sure they could add a rival and Houston would be a good one, since none of their former SWC rivals want to recognize them as such.

We could probably start something with Arkansas State, but that wouldn't hold much appeal within the state of texas.

The best case for us establishing a consistent interstate rivalry would be to get Texas State to move up to the Sun Belt. We've played each other more than anyone else, we're comparably sized, and we both have growing student bodies (and they too have a really attractive crop of coeds). It's an easy drive, we've got history, we share a state- all the ingredients for a good rivalry.

I put in my vote for Texas Tech. We're not in the same league currently, but we have a competitive history with them. They have rivalries to a degree with UT and A&M, but those are pretty one-way.

I have no idea what the trophy would be, but that's my pick.

....AFTER they present the Armadillo trophy.....with the assistance of Kathy Ireland of course. ;)

fixed.

...no offense, Rick...

Edited by Stix

My idea is the Trinity Fork - a giant silver fork awarded to the winner of the SMU-UNT game. Previously, I had proposed this as a 3-way series trophy kind of like the Commander-in-Chief trophy but TCU won't play us.

i was thinking the same thing about the smu/tcu/unt rivalry, but for a three pronged pitch fork or triangle/pyramid. something i think would suit our texas culture and hasn't been done yet would be a branding iron with the schools on there or maybe a DD for the denton-dallas county battle (double d battle) between us and smu.

UT San Antonio in a couple of years...Battle of the Birds...With some half road runner/half eagle trophy...

Southern Miss...Battle for the Eagle's Nest...Trophy us a golden bird's nest...

I don't care with who or what we name the trophyt, but damn it's nice to play for a trophy at least once a year guaranteed.

I thought our biggest rival was people who stayed in the parking lot?

Touche...We play for the Golden Grill

If we played TCU & SMU, play for the golden triangle. Rivalry with MTSU, play for the middle finger trophy. Why not a rivalry with UTEP? D1 program, opposite ends of the state so it would eventually generate statewide notice.

When the North Texas - SMU series starts up, let's call it "The Battle for the Silver Shopping Cart". 'Nuff said.

Playing for a silver shopping cart trophy is just quirky enough to catch on. Heck, if schools can play for an Iron Skillet, a Telephone Trophy and The Old Brass Spittoon, why not a shopping cart?

When the North Texas - SMU series starts up, let's call it "The Battle for the Silver Shopping Cart". 'Nuff said.

Playing for a silver shopping cart trophy is just quirky enough to catch on. Heck, if schools can play for an Iron Skillet, a Telephone Trophy and The Old Brass Spittoon, why not a shopping cart?

I had the exact same idea. Its obviously the best.