Favorite Albums: 2000-2009

Uh... not to be picky, but if you are talking about 2000 - 2009, shouldn't it be "greatest CD's"??

But, if you want to go Albums:

1) Boston - Boston

2) Journey - Escape

3) Led Zepplin - In Through the Out Door

4) Asia - Asia

5) Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

6) The Kings - The Kings Are Here

7) April Wine - Nature of the Beast

8) The Cars - The Cars

9) REO Speedwagon - You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tune A Fish (I know, I know)

10) Pink Floyd - The Wall (Damn my brother!!!!)

Now this would be a list of Albums. All from my High School Days, when Albums were still around. Not trying a highjack, but...

Regardless of format, I commonly refer to the collection of songs as an "album." Many do the same (for example, http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/593...ms_of_all_time). That list has some Radiohead, Nirvana, etc. on it. Plus, I have almost my entire list on vinyl. I love some of your selections; Rumours is one of my all time favorites. Never could get into Boston, Journey or REO Speedwagon though. I've never given Asia a chance, so I can't really state an opinion on them.

Edited by PerryG2480

Bands/Albums (locals included) I've discovered the last decade that I will not regret. Just so we're on the same page, you're implying what we've listened to and not necessarily what has been released the last decade?:

Snarky Puppy - Bring Us The Bright (These guys recently made their way to NYC. You don't know them until you've heard them live)

The Owls

Slobberbone (truthfully, that started the end of 1999)

Phoenix (this year...guilty pleasure?)

Joe Henderson - Inner Urge

Any Wayne Shorter - one of the best jazz composers alive?

Weather Report

Pantera - VDOP

Led Zeppelin

Vladimir Ashkenazy - Rachmaninov Piano Concertos

Glenn Gould - Goldberg Variations (Sony)

Keith Jarrett - The Kohln Concert

Hendrix

Brad Mehldau - Largo. Any of his trio.

Michael Brecker's posthumous release Pilgrimage is unbelievable. It will only get better and more appreciated as we move further away from his passing.

Wow. Top 10. I'll give this a shot, but I reserve the right to make edits at a later date...maybe even moments after publishing my reply.

1. April - Sun Kil Moon - I will never get tired of listening to this truly beautiful album.

2. Figure 8 - Elliott Smith - A brilliant and boisterous reinvention of his sound.

3. The Moon and Antarctica - Modest Mouse - Totally revolutionary...another brilliant reinvention for a band that refuses to be content with a particualr sound.

4. Silent Alarm - Bloc Party - One of those rare, perfect albums where every song is exceptional...this also led to a year or so long fascination with British post-punk rock.

5. The Flying Club Cup - Beirut - Stunningly beautiful and creative...especially considerring Zach Condon was 20 or so when he did this. Gulag Orkester was brilliance as well, but I like the richness of this better.

6. Give Up - Postal Service - Paste Magazine summed it up best: This album told indie kids that its ok to dance.

7. Antics - Interpol - This probably could have gone to any of the 3 Interpol albums, but I think on the strength of songs like Narc, Take You on a Cruise and A Time to Be So Small, I give the nod here...those even as I'm typing I want to change this to either of their other 2 albums

8. No Cities Left - The Dears - So wonderfully dark.

9. The Mysterious Production of Eggs - Andrew Bird - This album blew me away when I first heard it...components of classical, folk, rock, jazz...I have a major man-crush on Andrew Bird

10. Abatior Blues / Lyre of Orpheus - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - I really wish this man would tour stateside.

I know I left off 3 defaults - Yankee Foxtrot Hotel by Wilco, Boxer by the National and Funeral by Arcade Fire...and after sleeping on it I'll decide if I did so b/c they're not actually in my top 10...or because you had them on your list, Perry.

The 3 that really pained me to leave off, but couldn't justify bumping anyone were Ola Podrida by Ola Podrida, Baby 81 by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Bright Flight by Silver Jews.

Again...this could change by the time I make it to work tomorrow, but I'm rolling with this 10 for now

The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

Black Kids - Partie Traumatic (I really dig the cure vibe..it's my guilty pleasure)

Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake and it's Morning

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot it in People

Death Cab for Cutie - The Photo Album

Death From Above 1979 - You're a Woman, I'm a Machine

Dinosaur Jr - Farm

Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Postal Service - Give Up

Sonic Youth - The Eternal

The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine (some may say too much atheism for one album)

TV On The Radio - Return To Cookie Mountain

Edited by mdh0192

Wow. Top 10. I'll give this a shot, but I reserve the right to make edits at a later date...maybe even moments after publishing my reply.

1. April - Sun Kil Moon - I will never get tired of listening to this truly beautiful album.

2. Figure 8 - Elliott Smith - A brilliant and boisterous reinvention of his sound.

3. The Moon and Antarctica - Modest Mouse - Totally revolutionary...another brilliant reinvention for a band that refuses to be content with a particualr sound.

4. Silent Alarm - Bloc Party - One of those rare, perfect albums where every song is exceptional...this also led to a year or so long fascination with British post-punk rock.

5. The Flying Club Cup - Beirut - Stunningly beautiful and creative...especially considerring Zach Condon was 20 or so when he did this. Gulag Orkester was brilliance as well, but I like the richness of this better.

6. Give Up - Postal Service - Paste Magazine summed it up best: This album told indie kids that its ok to dance.

7. Antics - Interpol - This probably could have gone to any of the 3 Interpol albums, but I think on the strength of songs like Narc, Take You on a Cruise and A Time to Be So Small, I give the nod here...those even as I'm typing I want to change this to either of their other 2 albums

9. The Mysterious Production of Eggs - Andrew Bird - This album blew me away when I first heard it...components of classical, folk, rock, jazz...I have a major man-crush on Andrew Bird

10. Abatior Blues / Lyre of Orpheus - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - I really wish this man would tour stateside.

I know I left off 3 defaults - Yankee Foxtrot Hotel by Wilco, Boxer by the National and Funeral by Arcade Fire...and after sleeping on it I'll decide if I did so b/c they're not actually in my top 10...or because you had them on your list, Perry.

The 3 that really pained me to leave off, but couldn't justify bumping anyone were Ola Podrida by Ola Podrida, Baby 81 by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Bright Flight by Silver Jews.

Again...this could change by the time I make it to work tomorrow, but I'm rolling with this 10 for now

Other than my hatred for #2, #5, and #6 this is an exceptionally solid list. Go ahead and replace two of those with any random George Strait albums from the period and "Let Me Dance You" by Lazer and I'm on board.

Edited by Green P1

Really solid list. I love that Postal Service album. Ben Gibbard is a lucky man for getting to marry Zooey Deschanel. Turn on the Bright Lights almost made my top 10. If I would have done 15, it would have been there for sure. Antics is just as good really, just a personal preference thing. I really need to get into Andrew Bird. All I have is Noble Beast. Love Sun Kil Moon, April was definitely one of my favorites from '08. The Moon and Antarctica probably would have fallen at number 12 or so, such a great album (still the best work they've done in my opinion).

I kinda hate rating Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Funeral, etc. so high since they are on so many lists. I just can't deny how much I love them though.

Hard to pinpoint 10, but some of my favorites back to 1990:

Jellyfish--Spilt Milk

Alison Krauss and Union Station--So Long, So Wrong

The Shazam--Godspeed the Shazam

Fountains of Wayne--Welcome Interstate Managers

the Smithereens--Meet the Smithereens

and a few classics

Kinks--The Kink Kronkikles

Ramones--Rocket to Russia

Slade--Slayed?

Elvis Costello--This Year's Model

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys--For The Last Time

Other than my hatred for #2, #5, and #6 this is an exceptionally solid list. Go ahead and replace two of those with any random George Strait albums from the period and "Let Me Dance You" by Lazer and I'm on board.

#2 - Just hate the album...or Elliott Smith altogether? I can let the prior slip, but if its the latter...wow...thats blasphamy to me.

#5 - I think they're a love/hate band

#6 - Are you not a Death Cab fan, either?

Ahhh...Lazer.

Hard to pinpoint 10, but some of my favorites back to 1990:

Jellyfish--Spilt Milk

Alison Krauss and Union Station--So Long, So Wrong

The Shazam--Godspeed the Shazam

Fountains of Wayne--Welcome Interstate Managers

the Smithereens--Meet the Smithereens

and a few classics

Kinks--The Kink Kronkikles

Ramones--Rocket to Russia

Slade--Slayed?

Elvis Costello--This Year's Model

Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys--For The Last Time

LOVE that one.

Guest JohnDenver

I agree with Quoner, this task is remarkably hard.

Going over a decade of living in my head ball just hurts.

This is as far as I get, in somewhat order.

1. The Everybodyfields - Plague of Dreams

2. The Avett Brothers - Mignonette

3. Deer Tick - War Elephant

4. The Two Dollar Pistols - The Two Dollar Pistols with Tift Merritt

6. Dale Watson - Little Darlin' Sessions

7. The Shins - Oh, Inverted World

10. Little Grizzly - I'd Be Lying If I Said I Wasn't Scared

10. Tool - Lateralus

9. Daft Punk - Discovery

8. Spoon - Gimme Fiction

7. The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely

6. Oasis - Don't Believe the Truth

5. The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath

4. The White Stripes - Elephant

3. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Howl

2. Mogwai - Rock Action

1. The Black Keys - Rubber Factory

I kept it to one album per artist. :lol:

10. Tool - Lateralus

9. Daft Punk - Discovery

8. Spoon - Gimme Fiction

2. Mogwai - Rock Action

Good list. I slightly prefer Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and Attack and Release, but it's all great though.

10. Tool - Lateralus

9. Daft Punk - Discovery

8. Spoon - Gimme Fiction

2. Mogwai - Rock Action

Brilliant. I like their usual stuff better, but this album is so great b/c of just how far the deviated from the traditional sound.

Good list. I slightly prefer Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and Attack and Release, but it's all great though.

Agree on Ga ect...but Rubber Factory is so much better than Attack and Release...that recorded in a basement or garage sound fits them so much better than a fancy studio.

Agree on Ga ect...but Rubber Factory is so much better than Attack and Release...that recorded in a basement or garage sound fits them so much better than a fancy studio.

To me Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is a more radio friendly album, and Rhythm & Soul is better than anything on Gimme Fiction, but Gimme Fiction is the more complete album. Oh, and Rubber Factory was recorded...in a tire factory. :P

10 albums released in the past 10 years that I absolutely played/still play the hell out of:

Bishop Allen - "Charm School"

Blur - "13"

Cee-Lo - "Cee-Lo Green... Is the Soul Machine"

The Detroit Cobras - "Baby"

Jamie Lidell - "JIM"

Handsome Boy Modeling School - "White People"

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - "Take a Break"

OK Go - "OK Go"

Rhymefest - "Blue Collar"

The Strokes - "Room on Fire"

10 albums released in the past 10 years that I absolutely played/still play the hell out of:

Bishop Allen - "Charm School"

Blur - "13"

Cee-Lo - "Cee-Lo Green... Is the Soul Machine"

The Detroit Cobras - "Baby"

Jamie Lidell - "JIM"

Handsome Boy Modeling School - "White People"

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - "Take a Break"

OK Go - "OK Go"

Rhymefest - "Blue Collar"

The Strokes - "Room on Fire"

Quite under-rated. Kudos, sir.

Quite under-rated. Kudos, sir.

"Another Wasted Night" was the background music on the official website for a movie called "Funny Ha-Ha", that's where I first heard them. Little brother bought the CD, but hasn't gotten it back for several years now.

If you're a fan, check out another movie by the same guy (Andrew Bujalski) - "Mutual Appreciation". Justin Rice plays the main character. And "Funny Ha-Ha" has Christian Rudder as the lead male character, too.

Edited by TheTastyGreek

OK...I'm going away from the indie/underground music that has been dominating the discussion thus far. My list has alot more commercially popular albums, although I haven't kept up with the music scene much the last few years, so most of these are favorites from the last 3 years of college.

In no particular order:

Eve 6 - Horroscope: My girlfriend (now wife) turned me on to this album. Never been a huge Eve 6 fan, but the way this album was produced made me want to listen to it over and over.

Weezer - Maladroit: This is the album that really made me a Weezer fan. The Blue Album was good, I somehow skipped over Pinkerton (although I know this is most people's favorite Weezer album), but the guitar sound on this album had so much "balls" behind it.

Green Day - American Idiot: Their best album to date.

Guster - Lost and Gone Forever: From 1999, but close enough. My roomate listened to this album alot and it kind of soaked in and I became a Guster fan because of it.

Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales: I love this album because it was so fresh and different when it came out in 2000. Definitely an album I love to "chill" to.

John Mayer - Room for Squares: I know he's be much overhyped and shoved down our throats since he made it big, but I just really loved his first album (not so much since)

Jurrasic 5 - Quality Control: I was hard to choose between this album and Power in Numbers 2 years later, but they are both great specimens of lyrical flow.

Nappy Roots - Watermelon, Chicken, & Gritz: Everytime I listen to this album, I'm reminded of good times I had the few times I went to Club Reign in Denton (no further comment)

Outkast - Stankonia: See the Nappy Roots write up above.

TobyMac - Portable Sounds: A Christian Rock/Hip Hop album...a little poppy but there is so much energy packed into the album. Also very well produced.

Francesca Batestelli - Paper Heart: Another Christian artist...listened to this album 4 or 5 times recently. Every song is great. Very impressive especially for a 21 year old. I can't wait to see what her future work will hold.

Sister Hazel - Chasing Daylight: Such talented songwriter and musicians and this album showed it best. Maybe a little to sappy for many people's tastes, but I loved it.

Coldplay - Viva la Vida: I know this probably makes me look gay, but I think with every album they make, they just keep getting better and better. I had to listen to it a couple of times before it started taking hold, but I think its brilliant.

I could go on for a while, but lunch break is over...so back to work.