One Way To Kill A Week Before Kickoff

Shuke-D

Here's a thought: Instead of debating whose statistical paradigm for determining abolute football-era suprememcy is more suspect/inferior, how about a little trip down memory lane? Who was your favorite player to WATCH during your time at North Texas? I don't mean who had the sexiest stats, should/shouldn't be in the HOF, led their team to victory week in and week out stuff. I just mean who made it a pleasure to truck your butt to Fouts by the way they laid it all out on the field.

I nominate RB Hut Allred, mid 90s. The guy was a nuclear bowling ball with cleats attached. Ran downhill, North/South, didn't try to put too many moves on tacklers, but had a way to make them miss or run over them. The guy had a motor and determination that was fierce to watch. I remember the first game he was put in as a freshman. When he was told he was going in, Hut started going nuts on the sideline. I mean he just started pacing around on the sideline, hitting his helmet, as if he couldn't wait for the defense to finish the job so he could get out there and hit somebody, so he started hitting himself.

Really, I'm starting this thread since there are so many different generations of supporters on here, who have seen so many different players over the years, that I'm curious which individual players made gameday a more enjoyable experience besides the usual "we won" stuff.

Any takers?

for me it was jamario during his freshman year. He did some of the most amazing things I have ever seen anybody do. I remember one play when he took the ball in the backfield, fell down while managing not to go all the way down, regaining his balance, then taking it to the house for about 45 yards. Awesome!

I will never forget the excitement that surrounded Jamario during his unbelievable freshman year. At that point in time, knowing that we had Jamario for 3 more years (if he didn't turn pro), the future seemed so bright for UNT Football. Can things turn on a dime or what?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Not many go this far back but my favorite has to be Abner Haynes. He often had two keying on him; still he made great runs and catches. As the first black Division I player in Texas he had to be great to last. He did, and he didn't disappoint.

Joe Greene was the most solid player that we've had but Abner was the most exciting.

Answer in 2 parts:

Defense: Booger is the easy answer, so I'll go with a tie between Buckles and Craig Jones. In truth, there is not really a wrong answer if you pick anyone off that defense.

Offense: Cobbs.

And for an encore, how about Jamal Branch? That offense didn't really need a ton of offensive weapons, just a RB and maybe a guy that you could use as a wrinkle. Branch was an amazing all-everything wrinkle.

I'd have to give it to Mitch Maher. You knew a touchdown could happen at pretty much any time in the game, without warning.

Since then, some other faves of mine have been Hut Allred (Good call, Shuke-D. It seemed like he played for us at least 8 years), Broderick McGrew, Brad Kassall, Booger, Adrian Awasom, P.C., Johnny Quinn, and Casey Fitzgerald.

Been a fan too long to limit it to a couple. I certainly enjoyed the stars like most everyone such as Ramsey, Shanklin, Greene, Kennedy, Chapman, Thomas, etc, but I listed some of my favorites that flew more under the radar.

Trent Touchstone - Linebacker on super bad 89 team that I think was NT' only all conference player and that was on the second team. Wasn't particularly athletic but never quit on any play.

David Yaege - Was an all conference punter in early 70's, but what set him a part was he was also a very good receiver.

Jason Mills - One of the most maligned Quarterbacks in NT history, but finished with one of the greatest games in NT history beating conference champion Utah State.

Corbin Montgomery - Many named defensive end who was fun to watch because you never knew what he would do next. He proved that there is such a thing as being too intense.

Johnny Schindler - Mostly forgotten Safety who was a big hitter in the mid eighties in the mode of more recent Jones and Buckles.

Milton Collins - The most heralded recruit in NT history. Collins was arguably the number one recruit in the state that year and gave the school a lot of publicity by just signing with Fry. Generally labeled a bust as he was far from the next Earl Campbell as he was labeled in high school. He was never a factor at running back but he didn't quit and ending up starting as a defensive tackle.

The Perfect Defensive Trifecta is Booger Kennedy, Jonas Buckles and Craig Jones.

Offensive was Patrick Cobbs, Jamario Thomas and Johnny Quinn.

I was a fan long before but until Booger I never tracked the players much.

Edited by KingDL1

Jason Mills - One of the most maligned Quarterbacks in NT history, but finished with one of the greatest games in NT history beating conference champion Utah State.

You're on to something there. All he ever did wrong was have to play in the shadow of Maher when we moved back to I-A. The year before we moved back, three of our best offensive weapons graduated: Mitch, TE Luis Silva, and WR Dave Brown (?or was it Mike?). Pretty much all that was left offensively from the Southland Championship team the previous year was Troy Redwine. Jason had to lead the team during a difficult transition time, with players recruited for a different division. He never complained (that you could tell), took some serious hits, and kept coming back. Good call on this Grand Green.

I also like Jason Mills alot. He had a devil of a time keeping the job too - wasn't it always being rotated between him and Gulley(sp?)? I was a Mills guy myself. Oh, and that Utah State game was probably the most entertaining game I ever saw in Fouts. Something like 5 lead changes in the last six or seven minutes of gametime.