Live Chat With Todd Dodge

EagleGreen

Yes, I understand that. But, someone posted that Bob Stoops wouldn't be as accessible as to get online for a chat. I merely pointed out that he already traveled from state to state every summer to meet fans face-to-face. I just cleared up someone's misconception. Whether we do it or not is irrelevant.

Also, I fail to understand why some here are so eager to slam Bob Stoops when Todd Dodge has repeatedly said that he's trying to help us get Tyler Stradford's eligibility okayed with the NCAA for this season. This is a coach who doesn't have to help us, but is trying to, and all we can do is throw rocks in his directions? Please.

So, you don't want anyone to bash Stoops, but you are perfectly fine with the constant bashing of Dodge that you and others do?

And, BTW, Dodge has gone to several cities to meet face to face with UNT alums and fans. If you don't know this, you have not been keeping up. Also, do you think travel budgets for coaches are a bit larger in the Big XII than in the SBC and UNT? I recall several instances of Dodge doing "face to faces" with the Mean Green Nation members over his tenure at UNT. In fact, I have been in the audience in several places other than Denton when Dodge was speaking. Does he have to go to Detroit to make you happy? What's wrong with tours around the metroplex and state when you are trying to build a fan base that would actually attend games? Go to Wash. DC and talk to the alums there if you are interested in stadium donations, sure, but hit the metroplex big time if you want to stir up possible ticket buyers and game attendees...fine with me.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, you don't want anyone to bash Stoops, but you are perfectly fine with the constant bashing of Dodge that you and others do?

Not trying to speak for Lonnie, but... To be fair, I only hold Bob Stoops partially responsible for one of our humiliating, dispiriting losses in the past two years.

Yes, I understand that. But, someone posted that Bob Stoops wouldn't be as accessible as to get online for a chat. I merely pointed out that he already traveled from state to state every summer to meet fans face-to-face. I just cleared up someone's misconception. Whether we do it or not is irrelevant.

Also, I fail to understand why some here are so eager to slam Bob Stoops when Todd Dodge has repeatedly said that he's trying to help us get Tyler Stradford's eligibility okayed with the NCAA for this season. This is a coach who doesn't have to help us, but is trying to, and all we can do is throw rocks in his directions? Please.

yeah, looks like you posted right before I replied and I didn't see it. I retract my last post....carry on. :)

And, BTW, Dodge has gone to several cities to meet face to face with UNT alums and fans. If you don't know this, you have not been keeping up. Also, do you think travel budgets for coaches are a bit larger in the Big XII than in the SBC and UNT? I recall several instances of Dodge doing "face to faces" with the Mean Green Nation members over his tenure at UNT. In fact, I have been in the audience in several places other than Denton when Dodge was speaking. Does he have to go to Detroit to make you happy? What's wrong with tours around the metroplex and state when you are trying to build a fan base that would actually attend games? Go to Wash. DC and talk to the alums there if you are interested in stadium donations, sure, but hit the metroplex big time if you want to stir up possible ticket buyers and game attendees...fine with me.

No, KRAM, all I'm saying is get your facts straight with Stoops. He doesn't have to do an online chat. He's out there in front of Sooner fans in Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas...in addition to the camps he runs and shows he does around the Norman/OKC area.

It's fine that you're happy with Dodge's camps and online chat. But, dragging Bob Stoops into it is ridiculous. Going online would be a step backwards at a program that regularly makes its head football coach available in person. It's 2009, not 1999.

As far as bashing Dodge versus bashing Stoops, that's no brainer - Bob Stoops isn't running my alma mater's football program into the ground. There's nothing to laud about one FBS win in Dodge's two seasons. He deserves every bit a bashing that comes his way until he proves he can coach his way his way out of it. That's what he was hired to do.

And, it's not like the bar was set very high, for Pete's sake. Darrell Dickey's last two squads only won five games versus FBS competition. And, they sure as heck weren't getting blown out week after week in the Belt even in their losses.

Add to that, the fact the Stoops is trying to help us get the player who could be the best on our roster qualified for us, and it makes even less sense to bash him. And, if he's successful in helping us, he'll have given us a weapon on the field that three full Todd Dodge recruiting classes couldn't produce!

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I assume you are aware that Tyler Stradford is part of one of those Todd Dodge recruiting classes?

I think he's well aware of that, and is further driving home his point(defense against criticizing anything that Bob Stoops has to do with) that Coach Stoops is attempting to help Coach Dodge by pushing the NCAA to accept our request for Stradford's eligibility.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I think he's well aware of that, and is further driving home his point(defense against criticizing anything that Bob Stoops has to do with) that Coach Stoops is attempting to help Coach Dodge by pushing the NCAA to accept our request for his Stradford's eligibility.

Rick

I assumed he was aware, and I also appreciate what Stoops is doing for us. But I didn't appreciate TFLF's need to throw in an inaccurate (and, as you observe, knowingly inaccurate) and unnecessary attack on Coach Dodge along with his adulation for Stoops.

"and is further driving home his point"

yes....thank the good Lord that "Kevin" is here to make sure we understand his point.

I didn't get his point the first 3697 times he attempted to make it.

And what would the board be without the fine work of TTG:

"Not trying to speak for Lonnie, but... To be fair, I only hold Bob Stoops partially responsible for one of our humiliating, dispiriting losses in the past two years."

Admittedly, I don't understand the humor of the youth these days, but the guy is batting way below the Mendoza line in the post/laugh ratio for me. 0.0979 mild guffaw. 0.0170 laugh.

But GMG.

And what would the board be without the fine work of TTG:

"Not trying to speak for Lonnie, but... To be fair, I only hold Bob Stoops partially responsible for one of our humiliating, dispiriting losses in the past two years."

Admittedly, I don't understand the humor of the youth these days, but the guy is batting way below the Mendoza line in the post/laugh ratio for me. 0.0979 mild guffaw. 0.0170 laugh.

But GMG.

300px-Fozzie_Season_1.JPG

Comedy is hard work. Still, though.. Below the Mendoza line? Surely I'm funnier than that. Surely!

Wokka wokka wokka?

Also... I wish I was "the youth these days". I'm getting up there...

Here's part of our problem - marketing by the athletic department and marketing by the booster club. Those are the elements that put these face-to-face tours together at other schools. We already know our athletic department won't so much as put up a $500 a month billboard anywhere to push the football program.

I agree a billboard or two is needed, touting UNT Football. The problem is you won't get one for $500 a month. I put together a single billboard campaign, located on a decent secondary artery (state hwy) that has good visibilty and decent traffic count. $900 a month. A similar billboard on Interstate 10 from Louisiana into Texas would easily cost $1200 to $1500 a month. My guess for a board on I35 into Denton would cost $3000 plus per month. The newer electronic billboards probably fetch four times that amount. One of you marketing gurus can confirm that price range. The thing we do is use manufacturer's that we represent to put their logo on the board and co-op 100% of the cost with a one year committment.

Edited by DeepGreen

I agree a billboard or two is needed, touting UNT Football. The problem is you won't get one for $500 a month. I put together a single billboard campaign, located on a decent secondary artery (state hwy) that has good visibilty and decent traffic count. $900 a month. A similar billboard on Interstate 10 from Louisiana into Texas would easily cost $1200 to $1500 a month. My guess for a board on I35 into Denton would cost $3000 plus per month. The newer electronic billboards probably fetch four times that amount. One of you marketing gurus can confirm that price range. The thing we do is use manufacturer's that we represent to put their logo on the board and co-op 100% of the cost with a one year committment.

That's to lease. How about owning? Since UNT already owns frontage on both sides of I-35E and one side of I-35W why don't we just put up a couple of our own billboards?

Edited by NT80

That's to lease. How about owning? Since UNT already owns frontage on both sides of I-35E and one side of I-35W why don't we just put up a couple of our own billboards?

Wasn't there a law passed in TX at one point basically banning the addition of new billboard signage?

Couldn't we just have Tasty and Quoner alternate out there at the Shady Shores exit with a sandwich board?

Hell, Quoner doesn't wear pants most of the time anyway. It'd be a bonus.

Couldn't we just have Tasty and Quoner alternate out there at the Shady Shores exit with a sandwich board?

We'd need some meat between us in your hypothetical "sandwich board". Are you volunteering?

I can tell you for a fact the a Billboard on 1-35 in South Denton costs $2500 a month for 1 side.

Maybe together they could promote their $5 footlong ? :unsure: