A Lesson We Can All Learn From

OK, so I was working yesterday and there was a female walking down a small 2 lane highway in close to 100 degree heat. My partner and I pull up and ask where she was walking and if she wanted a ride. As we are driving her to her house, we get her name and DOB. Turns out she had warrants.

Lesson learned: Never voluntarily get into a police car when you might have a warrant.

OK, so I was working yesterday and there was a female walking down a small 2 lane highway in close to 100 degree heat. My partner and I pull up and ask where she was walking and if she wanted a ride. As we are driving her to her house, we get her name and DOB. Turns out she had warrants.

Lesson learned: Never voluntarily get into a police car when you might have a warrant.

The IT person in me really wonders if Name and DOB is a unique enough identifier for something like taking a person in on a warrant.

Upon further review, it appears the answer is: No.

From http://www.policelink.com/training/article...staken-identity :

The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals decided a case that reaffirmed this ruling on August 14, 2006.

In this case, the plaintiff was arrested on an outstanding warrant. The warrant was for a “Margaret Irene Chapman” who was described as a black female, 5’4” tall and 210 pounds. The plaintiff was arrested at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport when she presented identification that matched the description on the warrant including full name, date of birth, and sex. Her social security number matched except that the first two numbers were transposed. The plaintiff was one inch taller and forty pounds lighter than the description on the warrant. The Court noted that there were many similarities and one significant difference. This significant difference was that the plaintiff was a white female and the warrant was for a black female. The Court cited Rodriguez v. Farrell as precedent and held that, “given the totality of the circumstances, the arrest was reasonable even in the face of an obvious racial discrepancy.” The facts that make up the totality of the circumstances in this case were the following: the matching names, matching dates of birth, virtually identical social security numbers, and strikingly similar physical characteristics. Thus, the Court held that one material difference will not transform a reasonable arrest into an unreasonable arrest.

Scary.

Edited by UNTFan23

The IT person in me really wonders if Name and DOB is a unique enough identifier for something like taking a person in on a warrant.

I imagine they had her address as well, since they were driving her to her house.

If there is any doubt, there are usually other things to identify the person. Address, race, sex, ht, scars, tattoos, and even social security number.

There's another story in the first link about how someone how again closely matched a description on the warrant was wrongly arrested and immediately released once fingerprints revealed he was not the person the warrant was after. Since criminals have something to hide, they tend to lie, so warrants often have multiple aliases, heights, weights, etc, so it's possible for someone to be mistakenly identified as the wrong person.

Here is another story how someone was mistakenly arrested and held for 5 days.

For me what is most concerning is that many times when many identifying marks match, those that don't are then thought to be an error (for instance, race in two cases in this thread) and the arrest is made.

There's another story in the first link about how someone how again closely matched a description on the warrant was wrongly arrested and immediately released once fingerprints revealed he was not the person the warrant was after. Since criminals have something to hide, they tend to lie, so warrants often have multiple aliases, heights, weights, etc, so it's possible for someone to be mistakenly identified as the wrong person.

Here is another story how someone was mistakenly arrested and held for 5 days.

For me what is most concerning is that many times when many identifying marks match, those that don't are then thought to be an error (for instance, race in two cases in this thread) and the arrest is made.

So then your argument isn't really against the system which is used to identify suspects but rather with the lack of discretion and/or common sense employed by some officers. What was your point again?

So then your argument isn't really against the system which is used to identify suspects but rather with the lack of discretion and/or common sense employed by some officers. What was your point again?

I only question using two relationships that both have a many-to-one possibility (many people can have the same birth date for example) is sufficient enough to make it a unique identifier.

hmmmm..

If there are about 20,000,000 people in Texas (non-kids anyway) , 10,000,000 more or less of either gender and 365 birthdates. then this means about 27,400 fit. Classified by ten year spans of age (means guessing within 5 years. now we are down to about 4500 people fit that description.. Once you toss in the name and there are 1000's of possibilites you don't have a lot of doubt unless the name is an extremely common one (Bill Smith). Using the about listed charactistics, size, ethic group then I would think you are close enough to perhaps arrest or at least hold for detention until a possitive ID is made.

Why in the world would she ever tell them her birthday??? name maybe, but birthday??

Me... I am one of a kind... no more is USA... less than 50 with my last name. .. I would be dead meat.

• Upvote 1

So out of the kindness of your heart you gave her a ride.

Do you run the names of everyone that gets in your car?

Not to mention the other five. Lucky blood sucker. BTW, did you know that he,or she is one of the most poisonous spiders but their fangs aren't long enough to get the poison through our skin. Just ask the Antigua Cricket team.

Not to mention the other five. Lucky blood sucker. BTW, did you know that he,or she is one of the most poisonous spiders but their fangs aren't long enough to get the poison through our skin. Just ask the Antigua Cricket team.

Is there a joke in there? The poison part is an urban myth.

So out of the kindness of your heart you gave her a ride.

Do you run the names of everyone that gets in your car?

Yes

No. I run everyone I run into out there.

91.2% of criminals are stupid. That's why they are criminal.

True. Thats why I get so many laughs. Ask me some of my other stories sometime. Or Emmitt's.