News Video Of New Akron Football Stadium Being Built

NT80

New $60 million stadium being built on-campus for the first time at Akron. Will hold 27-30K to start with grass endzone seating. Looks somewhat like a few of our past renderings of our new facility. Their website also mentions start and projected completion dates that perhaps we can guage building time from since this was I believe cleared land. I think opening opponent is Indiana.

News video clip of construction...

http://uk.truveo.com/new-akron-football-st...e/id/4214790917

Artist aerial view of completed complex....

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/zips/wp-conten...ingjuly2007.jpg

Edited by NT80

Much better design than what we are building, more traditional, asthetics are better....Hate that "lean to" we are putting on the student side...just looks cheap.

One thing we are trying to do like it is build a small lower bowl, below ground level to hold sound in. I do like their classic finished exterior better than our cable-supported overhang and exposed bracing. Also, they have maxed out their spending on sideline seating. The only endzone seating will be grass, instead of some giant to-be-unused endzone structure like you-know-who-will-have. :rolleyes:

One thing we are trying to do like it is build a small lower bowl, below ground level to hold sound in. I do like their classic finished exterior better than our cable-supported overhang and exposed bracing. Also, they have maxed out their spending on sideline seating. The only endzone seating will be grass, instead of some giant to-be-unused endzone structure like you-know-who-will-have. :rolleyes:

Well, I do remember Gretchen Bataille mentioning the need for sound retention in her Channel 13 CEO segment. I'm very grateful for the emphasis being placed on that.

Did you notice in the story....I believe they said the 7 story press box would have 3 floors for Academics. I believe that's what they said.

Anyway, I wonder, if by doing that they were able to secure some non-Athletics funds for their project?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Good grief! We haven't even broken ground yet and already someone else has a better facility than ours. I'll take ours over anyone else's of comparable size. I trust the architectural firm that has designed our stadium. There is no way on earth to please everyone so the new stadium won't be perfect. My prayer is that our students and alums get together as one in their pride for the new stadium. Save the complaints for coaches, teams, faculty, etc. The new stadium will be a first-class facility. Book it.

• 2 months later...

Here's a new gallery that was added on Saturday -> http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?au...=si&img=352

This is looking like a beautiful stadium for Akron. I really love the brick colors they used. It's fun to see two stadiums being designed right around the same time (Akron's and ours) taking very different shapes. It shows that a school doesn't have to have a ridiculous budget to create a very visually pleasing structure.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

When their new stadium has "eagle wings" in their end zone, then and only then will it be as nice as ours.

Oh well, GMG!!!!

EXACTLY!!!! I mean, couldn't they have designed some "kangaroo ears" in the end zone or "The Pouch" - a below ground bar for the zips club or something? These architects aren't trying hard enough.