Should Rv Have A Short List?

emmitt01

(1) Yes. But, at this point, it shouldn't be short anymore. I would expect it to have 20-25 FBS-level college coordinators on it. It should also include every former FBS-level head coach, whether or not they are coordinators (i.e., McCarney, DL coach at Florida).

(2) Dodge doesn't have to be bought out, merely reassigned.

(3) "REAL" fans demand better, they don't continually accept crap.

(4) If we win three or fewer games in 2009 and RV doesn't think a change is needed, then he needs to be changed out as well to get someone with a firm grip on reality in the program.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

(4) If we win three or fewer games in 2009 and RV doesn't think a change is needed, then he needs to be changed out as well to get someone with a firm grip on reality in the program.

I do not believe, if this team wins less than 4 games this coming season, that Dodge will be back. You are right though - if RV were to bring back Dodge after a 3 or less win season, when his teams have shown us virtually NOTHING, and he is allowed to coach a 4th season then RV should be let go himself. DD had back to back horrible seasons after winning 4 straight conference titles and he was let go so you can't convince me that RV won't make a change after this season with only 3 wins.

I have seen NOTHING to give me much of any hope this year will be any different.

(1) Yes. But, at this point, it shouldn't be short anymore. I would expect it to have 20-25 FBS-level college coordinators on it. It should also include every former FBS-level head coach, whether or not they are coordinators (i.e., McCarney, DL coach at Florida).

(2) Dodge doesn't have to be bought out, merely reassigned.

(3) "REAL" fans demand better, they don't continually accept crap.

You mean reassigned as into a High School Football Coach, right.....

3-21

Our other HS coaching experiment was 7-14-1 at this point.........and that was working with a 1-AA budget. He ended up with a total record of 11-21-1. Coach Dodge would have to win at least 8 games this year to equal that total number of wins.

Edited by SilverEagle

i didnt question his fan hood...infact i know he is a great UNT fan..im just sick of people bashing on dodge...

He hasnt proven anything in the time that he is has been here. The last coach won 4 straight D-1 Conference Championships and was shown the door after two mediocre seasons, so alot of people expected new results and a new image for the school.

I posted a few months back that Coach Dodge was ranked #7 out of 119 coaches to have the least job security and could expect his job lost, that is for a reason.......The ranking didnt take into effect that he was here for two years or the cupboard was bare, I will tell ya the cupboard is alot more empty now than it was when he first got here.

He hasnt proven anything in the time that he is has been here. The last coach won 4 straight D-1 Conference Championships and was shown the door after two mediocre seasons, so alot of people expected new results and a new image for the school.

***************************************************************************************

If you are going to post info on DD please make sure you are correct....He was employed 9 years at NT and hand only 3 winning seasons during that 9 years..His first 4 were won 3 lost 8, won 2 lost 9, won 3-loss 5 lost 7, his last two seasons he won 2 and lost 9 and won 3 and lost 9...(in 9 years he had only 41 wins and 65 losses....are these mediocre records? Also keep in mind the Sunbelt conference teams were not nearly as good as they are now.

Dodge deserves the same time to get his program straighten out. The thing I remember the most about DD is that he constantly in public blasted NT and our fans...including the gmg members who fed and supported him, something I have never seen Dodge do.

****************************************************************************************************************************

I posted a few months back that Coach Dodge was ranked #7 out of 119 coaches to have the least job security and could expect his job lost, that is for a reason.......The ranking didnt take into effect that he was here for two years or the cupboard was bare, I will tell ya the cupboard is alot more empty now than it was when he first got here.

Emmit, Lonnie, Love MG, i have told you all this before and ill tell you all this again...Dodge could go 0'fer next year and he will still be here for year 5...the university is committed to him as the Football coach and if your a REAL fan of the program you should be committed.

Fixed it

I do think he has a short list, but I think it is only to use if Dodge resigns or takes a job at another school (i.e., position coach or coordinator) Lets face it--there is just no way that UNT can afford to pay two coaches at the same time (even if Dodge was reassigned). Dodge will get year 4 if he wants it--even if he goes winless. Heck, if some of the reports are true about the topic of paying coaches, we are still paying Dickey some dollars, which is probably why Dodge was the perfect candidate for the athletic department in 2007. My hopes are twofold for 2009: 1.) We end up overacheiving and Dodge stays, which seems close to miraculous at this point (winning 4+ games) or 2.)We only win a game or two and Dodge resigns to go back to HS or go become a position coach at some other college. And, as far as RV losing his job, I have no idea how many years he has left on his contract, but it seems far-fetched to think he will be gone after all of the improvement we have seen overall for the department during his tenure.

Again, they can reassign him to a position anywhere in the department for less pay. They don't have to fire him outright. Re-read the contract.

I haven't read the contract, so that is interesting to say the least. But will they do it? And what would the pay be? Any thoughts on this?

Again, they can reassign him to a position anywhere in the department for less pay. They don't have to fire him outright. Re-read the contract.

I doubt they can pay him less if they reassign him. Secondly, very seldom does an university actually reassign a coach. It is just not worth it. They tried that with Simon and it certainly didn't work. Putting a disgruntled employee in a position he doesn't want does nothing for the University. In essence these types of clauses are used to negotiate a settlement, not to be reassign head coaches. I doubt NT plays hard ball with any football head coach. They didn't with DD and IMO there were a lot of reasons to argue that he voided his contract for conduct. Most schools don't go that route because they don't need the negative publicity and it tends to scare off potential coaches.

Almost everyone on this board wanted dodge. In fact, many of you were wanting to get rid of RV if he did not delivery the peoples choice. Dodge is a good HS coach and may be a good OC on the college level. IF you want to blame RV for something blame him for listening to much to the fan base. If you cannot win in most of the Non AQ conferences within 2-3 years then you should be fired and Dodge is not exception. UNT needs to step up the pay for the entire coaching staff and hire someone who has had success on this level. RV has a short list and it does not contain HS coaches.

Good Luck next year