Classic Ntsu Pictures

UNTflyer

The guy in the Expos hat is, I believe, our beloved SUMG.

I recognized Dino Malave, Bret Adams, Keith Lehman and a couple of other guys whose names I can't remember. All old Talons. I think I am the guy on the left in the picture with the UT cheer vehicle and the Model A, in Austin, along with John Reeder, Don Parker and John Reese. All of these guys were part of the crew that drove the Model A to the away games (often on trailer, but a few times we drove that thing).

I think it is Reese by himself with the cannon.

Thanks for sharing.

GMG

Yes, they did indeed install burnt orange seats in The Super Pit. "Earth tones" were big in those days! Why in the world would you want to install green seats in a school that calls themselves the Mean Green?

Actually, the orange seats may have been all right. We have gone through at least six shades of green since I was first a freshman in 1971 and I don't give the current shade of green, which may be the worse yet, much of a chance.

while out defense was nicknamed "mean green" sometime in the 70's, our team was not called that untill rick v. was named a.d. rick was trying to distinguish us from the dozens of other schools with eagles as a mascot, although personally i hate mean green as a nickmane, as well as the u. s. postal eagle we now use. regarding the orange chairs in the super pit, i was told by the ad at the time that he thought orange looked good with grey, and that since the money came fron austin this is what we got. when i asked if a&m would get orange chairs when they built a new arena, i got no response. can't remember his name off hand, but he succeeded hayden fry as ad and jerry moore succeeded hf as coach, as hf held both positions. it was the only way we could afford him, by combining both salaries.

while out defense was nicknamed "mean green" sometime in the 70's, our team was not called that untill rick v. was named a.d. rick was trying to distinguish us from the dozens of other schools with eagles as a mascot, although personally i hate mean green as a nickmane, as well as the u. s. postal eagle we now use. regarding the orange chairs in the super pit, i was told by the ad at the time that he thought orange looked good with grey, and that since the money came fron austin this is what we got. when i asked if a&m would get orange chairs when they built a new arena, i got no response. can't remember his name off hand, but he succeeded hayden fry as ad and jerry moore succeeded hf as coach, as hf held both positions. it was the only way we could afford him, by combining both salaries.

Hayden Fry was the first to use the Mean Green names for the teams, and it was used on jerseys, bumper stickers, flags, everything. I heard the orange fabric was selected because it was on sale back then from the manufacturer and showed up better on TV being lighter than green. I actually think someone in Austin mandated it as part of the financing for the building.

http://cgi.ebay.com/North-Texas-State-Foot...bayphotohosting

Edited by NT80

Yes, they did indeed install burnt orange seats in The Super Pit. "Earth tones" were big in those days! Why in the world would you want to install green seats in a school that calls themselves the Mean Green?

Actually, the orange seats may have been all right. We have gone through at least six shades of green since I was first a freshman in 1971 and I don't give the current shade of green, which may be the worse yet, much of a chance.

well when i got here 2 years ago..the kelley green was just starting, but i have to say, i like it better then the darker green that was there before i got here. im a fan of the lighter green.

I Do wish we were the eagles, and not the mean green...but its ok.

Red seats? I did not know that.

accually they were longhorn burnt orange, atleast thats what someone told me....that kinda of embarassing!

They weren't burnt orange. More like an Oklahoma State orange.

We formed a working committee and raised money by selling "subscriptions" to "buy" a Green seat. They seats were removed a couple of sections at a time and sent to a company in San Antonio to be recovered. It was at this time the wooden arm rests were replaced with the current arm rests with the cup holders.

there's lots of rumors as to why the seats wre orange originally. None of them true. In fact, the truth is boring. Joe

Our Mean Green moniker was coined by Sidney Sue Graham, wife of then-AD (who has recently passed away), in the late '60s. Joe Greene was a junior back then, and the head coach was Rod Rust who took over for the retired Odis Mitchell.

Hayden Fry was the first to market it, and in fact I think he claims he originated it in his [auto?]biography. However, it was before his time and clearly not his doing. Says Randy Galloway:

“…was going on what happened after Joe became a huge NFL star, and actually his success was good for North Texas, so feeding off the Mean Green thing was not a bad P.R. thing, and Hayden didn’t mind milking that and I don’t blame him.”

I did some research on this and I don't think the confusion will ever go away. Sidney came up with the term rooting for Big Joe (that was his nickname while he was here), but never intended for the team to be named after him. I think there was a figurative exclamation point "moment" in the marketing department on this name and what it could mean (pun not intended) for us.

I can only speculate, but this moniker might not have stuck without Fry's on-the-field success and media-savvy thinking.

here ya go