Final Word On This Afternoon's Practice

Brett Vito

While it is nice of Vito to update us, wouldn't it be nice if someone from the football office would take two minutes and post on this board what the status of each practices is?

If you don't mind, NT03 or anybody else, post anything worthwhile you notice at practice.

I was able to stay about an hour before having to go pick up little man from day care so I can't give too much " good " info.

For starters , when I got arrived there was a whole 11 of us fans there that I could count. 1 of which was a young female there probably no older than 5 with someone whom I would guess was her grandmother.

D-Side:

I will go on record and say this : Our defense will be much improved from last year. Okay so that shouldn't be hard to do , but on the DEF side of the field DeLoach had the boys going full speed and full contact throughout and if you weren't you were getting an ear full. Eddrick Gilmore will be on a NFL preseason roster next year. DeLoach's end of the field was very impressive. I might be wrong on the player , but I think it was Ira Smith , is a speed demon and has the potential to be our lock down corner.

O Side :

It was just the same little 5 yard slant passes the whole time I was there against a dummy def.....over and over again. I guess they were just working on timing. A lot of contact on the other side of the field , not so much on this side. Cam is a stud and is the best weapon we have , so many new faces at WR i really couldn't tell who was who. It's my personal opinion so don't bash me , but Nathan Tune needs to really work on his footwork if he wants to push for the starting job. He looked out of place at times during drills with his feet.

O-Line looks like the biggest UNT has had since I've been a fan. I don't know if they are the most talented , but they are the biggest. They got their ass chewed a few times too , it was kind of funny.

The 1st team line went : Gill , Hollivay , Drake ,Feeley , Santiago . I don't know if they ever changed so don't think this is the starting 5 yet , they were just on the 1st team line thru some of the drills.

Edited by NT03

I was able to stay about an hour before having to go pick up little man from day care so I can't give too much " good " info.

For starters , when I got arrived there was a whole 11 of us fans there that I could count. 1 of which was a young female there probably no older than 5 with someone whom I would guess was her grandmother.

D-Side:

I will go on record and say this : Our defense will be much improved from last year. Okay so that shouldn't be hard to do , but on the DEF side of the field DeLoach had the boys going full speed and full contact throughout and if you weren't you were getting an ear full. Eddrick Gilmore will be on a NFL preseason roster next year. DeLoach's end of the field was very impressive. I might be wrong on the player , but I think it was Ira Smith , is a speed demon and has the potential to be our lock down corner.

O Side :

It was just the same little 5 yard slant passes the whole time I was there against a dummy def.....over and over again. I guess they were just working on timing. A lot of contact on the other side of the field , not so much on this side. Cam is a stud and is the best weapon we have , so many new faces at WR i really couldn't tell who was who. It's my personal opinion so don't bash me , but Nathan Tune needs to really work on his footwork if he wants to push for the starting job. He looked out of place at times during drills with his feet.

O-Line looks like the biggest UNT has had since I've been a fan. I don't know if they are the most talented , but they are the biggest. They got their ass chewed a few times too , it was kind of funny.

The 1st team line went : Gill , Hollivay , Drake ,Feeley , Santiago . I don't know if they ever changed so don't think this is the starting 5 yet , they were just on the 1st team line thru some of the drills.

Thanks for the report!

Vito made a comment the other day about Ira Smith that agreed with what you said about him. Sounds like he can really help our secondary.

Not surprised that Gilmore is tearing it up. I hope the coaching staff is making absolutely sure that grades will not be an issue with him.

Nothing wrong with getting things right on offense, but they are going to need to do a better job spreading the field vertically than they did last year.

Again, greatly appreciated, NT03.

O Side :

It was just the same little 5 yard slant passes the whole time I was there against a dummy def.....over and over again. I guess they were just working on timing.

sounds like last season. practicing so many short slant passes either means

yes they are working on timing

as vito said working on getting the ball to a rb in the flat

they are concerned about overusing the qb arms with longer passes or in case of a shoulder issue

they are concerned about the offense in general and this is only way to move the ball

half are not good reasons

OK, this may be a bit late, and a bit redundant from NT03's report, but I made the entire practice Friday afternoon. It was definitely an open practice as I had thought, but the mix-up probably kept a good many fans away. I know a couple who were going to make the drive from a good distance away but cancelled due to not knowing if practice would be open for certain or not. Too bad, it was great to be at the paractice...

First, I agree 100% that the defense looks like it is going to be much improved over last year's. And, this may not be news to many people, but DeLoach is REALLY LOUD! You could hear him over everthing including the wind blowing through the scoreboard...which if you have been around long you realize it sounds like several 18-wheelers going up and down 35E when it is really windy as it was Friday.

But, contarary to NT03's observation, not all passes were 5 yeard and out types. There was a "scrimmage" of sorts at the end with officials and play/down situation type plays. Both Chris Brainerd (sp?) and Mike Outlaw made a couple of nice deep down fiels catches from passes Riley threw that were excellent and right on target. Unfortunately Chris dropped his (held it long enough that in some cases it might have been rules a fumble). I think Mike Outlaw and Jamaal jackson are the two top receievers at the moment.

I will say again, UNT does not have a QB problem. Riley looked very sharp and Tune will be an excellent back-up oir starter which ever way it works out. Riley also rifled a ball into double coverage over the middle about ten yards down for a great catch by the tight end. Yes, I said toght end! Let that sink in a second. Great pass, hard shot and really nice catch.

Both Montgomery and Dunbar looked good. There just might be a real battle for the #1 spot between these two. Keep that in the back of your head...who knows...from the looks of it Friday it is shaping up that way. I would not want to bet either way at the moment.

NO SNAPS SEEN FROM UNDER CENTER. There you have that...I was disappointed to see that there were none, but with the catch by the tight end I got over it real fast.

OL looks pretty set and solid. Some great drills to watch and some good competition going on...trust me on that. There are some good sized young men on the OL...for sure...Chad Little is something else...the guy is LARGE!

DL looking better...looks to me like Ross and DeSoto will start at tackle on the DL.

Anyway, I aslo had the pleasure of meeting up with the father of one of the players who made the afternoon even that much more enjoyable. I had no roster, but he was able to clue me in on names, etc. Then, I had the very nice good fortune to share dinner with the gentleman and his son after practice at Central Grill. Great fun. Nice guy and great kid! A credit to UNT.

Anyway, sorry more fans did not get thechance to watch practice...great day to be a member of the Mean Green Nation.

By the way...punters did do some punting as did placekickers...but, those guys do have it pretty easy out there. Oh, to be a punter! Ha!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Yes, Micah was there and looked as if he had bulked up a bit...I failed to mention him...sorry...Micah should be in the mix as well...hpefully, healthy!

I see good things developing for the Mean Green in 2009!

Thanks for the observations, Kram. Any sign of Micah Mosely?

His father told me that Micah is sitting out contact practice to continue to rehab his shoulder.

That is true...Micah was there...thus the "bulked up" reference...but was not participating in drills....rehab still underway. If healthy and ready to go in the fall, I think we will see plenty of Micah on the field.

GO MEAN GREEN!

That is true...Micah was there...thus the "bulked up" reference...but was not participating in drills....rehab still underway. If healthy and ready to go in the fall, I think we will see plenty of Micah on the field.

GO MEAN GREEN!

He should do more than bulk up. He should get on a program with the new strength coach to try and gain about a half a step or so in speed.