New Utsa Head Football Coach Is

Mo Green

But how many 5A state championships does he have?

Wait a minute... National championship ... Scoreboard.

Larry Coker > Todd Dodge

AlamoDome > Fouts Field / Even if we get a new stadium

San Antonio > Denton

But other than that we own the Roadrunners , right ??

san antonio greater than denton....no way! the other two i get, but sa is a pisshole!

Amazing. A school with no team yet scores a former national title winning coach.

We really are stupid at North Texas. We've got people pooh-poohing a school that will jump past us in, probably, less than five years of existence.

Guys like Schnellenberger, Leavitt, and Coker sign onto non-existent teams. We've been at it for 100+ years and have hired two high school coaches in 15 years (Parker in 91, Dodge in 06).

No one sleeps at the wheel like our leaderships. If Texas State...nevermind...when Texas State...forget it.

• Upvote 1

san antonio greater than denton....no way! the other two i get, but sa is a pisshole!

San Antonio population > Denton population

San Antonio "sports city" > Denton "sports city"

City more likely to get behind/support a college football team SA > Denton

By next month I bet you can ask your casual sports fan in SA who the head football coach of UTSA is and more than less would say Coker.

After 2 years you can ask your casual sports fan in Denton who the UNT head football coach is and more than less wouldn't know or would say some high school coach

Edited by NT03

Coker was a great coordinator, but he inherited Butch Davis' team that went on to win the National Championship. After that, his teams went downhill. I called my brother, a huge Hurricanes fan, and asked what he thought of Coker going to UTSA and he said "They can have him!"

Rice passed when Coker was interested in that job. I just think that if anyone saw Coker as a great coach, or even just a decent one, he would not have been unemployed for 3 years.

Rice passed when Coker was interested in that job. I just think that if anyone saw Coker as a great coach, or even just a decent one, he would not have been unemployed for 3 years.

Totally agree. There is a reason he took a job at a 'non-existent' program. I wish him/UTSA no ill, but it's an interesting hire.

Coker was a great coordinator, but he inherited Butch Davis' team that went on to win the National Championship. After that, his teams went downhill. I called my brother, a huge Hurricanes fan, and asked what he thought of Coker going to UTSA and he said "They can have him!"

Good things are happening for long-term unemployed college football coaches!

No one sleeps at the wheel like our leaderships. If Texas State...nevermind...when Texas State...forget it.

Don't you dare speak Dr. Larry Teis's name on this board.

Totally agree. There is a reason he took a job at a 'non-existent' program. I wish him/UTSA no ill, but it's an interesting hire.

Say what you want about Coker. But I would rather go play for a guy with ONE NCAA ROCK on his hand rather than FOUR TX HS 5A ROCKS on his hand.

Maybe they can take our spot in the Belt when we get demoted.

Dead on! Coker won with someone elses talent, and then lead them straight to the gutter.

Very interesting hire. Obviously UTSA's first priority is trying to make a splash in the news, but I wonder how long he'll actually be there. Coker doesn't exactly have the track record that you'd look for in this type of situation.

For some to call our admins stupid (for hiring Dodge) and praise those at UTSA over this hire are confused. Coker has a name (so did Dodge) but ran his last college program into the ground. Has everyone forgotten the famous FIU-Miami fight in the Orange Bowl??? If anything, I think Dodge gets the edge between the two b/c his upside(at the time we hired him) was so much more than Coker's....granted both coaches are/were big risks.

Just another opportunity for us to whine about how much better run every other entity in the world is than UNT. The universe is regularly firing up her bowels to take a massive dump on our campus and all who are affiliated with it, while she drops rainbows and puppy dogs on everybody else. I want to write a little jingle called "Whiny little bitches."

Um...Hello, McFlys...Coker was the offensive coordinator for six seasons at Miami before they named him head coach. He didn't get handed a roster he had nothing to do with building. He had played a prominant role in building the roster and in the offense was in the seventh season of running his playbook.

Again, here is why we get what we get at North Texas. Our fans look at a school with no football program hiring a coach with as many skins on the wall as Larry Coker, and pooh-pooh it. And, the same people drool all over the mediocrity of Todd Dodge.

We get what we get because we don't expect more. UTSA expects to be taken seriously. They obviously don't expect to be FCS long. It is obvious that they fully expect to monkey around for a couple of years at FCS level like Schnellenberger did at FAU and Leavitt at South Florida before getting invited up.

Pooh-pooh it all you want. Coker is a big time hire. We're already getting our butts beat black and blue in prep recruiting. Now, add Larry Coker in the living rooms of kids to the long list of other coaches we wait in line behind.

Don't worry guys. As soon as I make my first Billion I will drop 100 million on UNT. I'll change my name to a cool donor-type name like A.Z Skin and hire and fire coaches with the mere threat of pulling funds. WOO!

Can't wait. Tis gonna be awesome.

By the way, help me get started by visiting some of my fine sponsors!

Um...Hello, McFlys...Coker was the offensive coordinator for six seasons at Miami before they named him head coach. He didn't get handed a roster he had nothing to do with building. He had played a prominant role in building the roster and in the offense was in the seventh season of running his playbook.

And he ran the program into the ground when he got promoted. At one of the hottest programs in the country.

No D1 head coach will take the job because it's coming in at the bottom, but there are many assistants that would jump at the chance and they've actually been coaching college football the last two years. That coach might even be someone with Texas ties who knows how to recruit this state already. Coker hasn't ever coached in Texas, and hasn't proven he can recruit or build a program on his own. Rather, the opposite.

Coker has the name, but considering what UTSA will have to do the next few years, I think they could have made a better pick.

We get what we get because we don't expect more. UTSA expects to be taken seriously. They obviously don't expect to be FCS long. It is obvious that they fully expect to monkey around for a couple of years at FCS level like Schnellenberger did at FAU and Leavitt at South Florida before getting invited up.

Schnellenberger when he got to FAU had already proven his program-building credentials at both Miami and Louisville. Coker has never proven he can build a program, he's only proven he can bring down a great one that was gift-wrapped for him.

He'll bring them some pub for a couple of years, and then he'll get fired when he can't close the deal in the living room. The same road ShermWOW is heading down right now in Collie Station.

Again, here is why we get what we get at North Texas. Our fans look at a school with no football program hiring a coach with as many skins on the wall as Larry Coker, and pooh-pooh it. And, the same people drool all over the mediocrity of Todd Dodge.

We poo-poo it b/c it is poo poo. The guy was run out of town in Miami---esp. after he lost complete control of his team and wasn't bringing in the recruiting classes anymore.

And at no point am I drooling over anything our football program has done lately. We have absolutely sucked the last 2 seasons....no question about it. Last year's team was the worst team I've ever seen play an organized sport....at any level.

I still wouldn't trade for Larry Coker....unless he came with a stable of stud recruiters and coaches. And I definitely would not trade UNT's future for the future of UTSA. I think we're all so insecure around here that we look at anyone trying to move up as a threat to completely overtake us....but UTSA has it's own set of problems. They are trying to start a football program (in UT-Austin's backyard!!) from scratch during these economic times. They have had a difficult time of it of late, so they hire a name coach (with a bad recent history) in an attempt to get some momentum back. It remains to be seen if it will work. Good luck to them....but I wouldn't go bet on them or start calling our AD an idiot over another school hiring Larry -freaking- Coker.

And he ran the program into the ground when he got promoted. At one of the hottest programs in the country.

No D1 head coach will take the job because it's coming in at the bottom, but there are many assistants that would jump at the chance and they've actually been coaching college football the last two years. That coach might even be someone with Texas ties who knows how to recruit this state already. Coker hasn't ever coached in Texas, and hasn't proven he can recruit or build a program on his own. Rather, the opposite.

Coker has the name, but considering what UTSA will have to do the next few years, I think they could have made a better pick.

Schnellenberger when he got to FAU had already proven his program-building credentials at both Miami and Louisville. Coker has never proven he can build a program, he's only proven he can bring down a great one that was gift-wrapped for him.

He'll bring them some pub for a couple of years, and then he'll get fired when he can't close the deal in the living room. The same road ShermWOW is heading down right now in Collie Station.

Beat me to the fact that Coker took the talent he supposedly help recruit to Miami and did nothing with it when he became the head man. Great reply and I'll bet TFLF doesn't reply because he usually goes silent when presented with facts such as this.

To say that Larry Coker can't recruit is wholly laughable. He's recruited Texas for years as an assistant at Tulsa, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Miami. He's recruited the whole country for decades in addition to that. The players he's coached into the NFL and the dozen winning bowl teams he's been a part of putting together will sell itself even if he doesn't show the national title ring to the kids. It's a coup for UTSA.

But, as hard-headed as some of you are, you'll simply have to watch UTSA surpass us to believe it. It's plain as day. Sadly, it's as plain as day.

Well, at least we've got a good jazz program that UTSA will never match.