Would You Mind Utsa In The Belt ?

NT03

UTSA

Would you welcome UTSA into the Belt ? I know it would be down the road , but when and if the situation gets to the point where they need to make a decision I would want the Roadrunners as foes in the conference.

We have NO true rival , why not the Roadrunners ??

Would be nice to have a conference game that would be quick travel

San Antonio has a great market and is a nice town

When South Alabama is added we will have a uneven conference (9 teams) , UTSA would give the league a even number.

Edited by NT03

I touched a little on this in my blog a few months back. I think more in-state games would be beneficial. I mean SA is only a 4.5 hour drive from Denton. UTSA is planning on playing the games at the 65000 seat Alamodome so there will be plenty of room for us to go down there.

Now only if we could get the other Metroplex football teams to play us regularly.

I believe that when South Alabama begins to play Sun Belt football it will give ten teams playing in the conference. That would give nine conference games. If we added two schools - Texas State, San Marcos and UT San Antonio for example - it would make twelve teams playing football. The conference could then divide into two divisions and play a conference championship game. An easy western division would be the three schools in Texas plus La-Monroe, La Lafayette, and one other. I am not advocating this arrangement, just saying that it could be done that way.

I believe that when South Alabama begins to play Sun Belt football it will give ten teams playing in the conference. That would give nine conference games. If we added two schools - Texas State, San Marcos and UT San Antonio for example - it would make twelve teams playing football. The conference could then divide into two divisions and play a conference championship game. An easy western division would be the three schools in Texas plus La-Monroe, La Lafayette, and one other. I am not advocating this arrangement, just saying that it could be done that way.

Your right South Bama will give us 10. I wouldn't mind a 12 team league for the Belt so let's add Texas State

West: UNT,UTSA,Texas St,Arkansas St,ULL,ULM

East: MTSU,WKU,Troy,South Bama,FIU,FAU

*This is just off season talk , nothing else to do

They would be a good addition to the Belt. Another good market in the Belt - Miami, Fort Lauderdale, DFW, San Antonio, Mobile and our champ in New Orleans! Some good travel and potential bowl destination cities.

GMG

Wishful thinking on my part at the present, but how bout a mostly TX division of Conference USA & everybody else: UNT, SMU, TCU Tulsa, La Tech, UTEP. I would hope we would move on, and want to go to a conference with established programs. After all, that is what we believe can happen. We should have bigger aspirations then to have UTSA or even Texas St. as rivals, don't see how playing shows our program is growing. After all, we have been in this game a lot longer than either. Come on guys, we need to think bigger & better!

I'm for moving to bigger destinations, but in the interim why not make our home the best it can be? More concerning is that I believe due to our location and SMU's inclusion in CUSA that UTSA has a darn good chance of getting an invite first. Yeah that would stink but its not like CUSA hangs its hat on tradition or who has been playing the game a long time - see South Florida.

I wish we were pimping to get into the Mountain West. TCU needs a travel part, the MWC is on the verge of BCS, there are established programs in the Mountain and selfishly I would get to see a lot of North Texas living out West. Now I am dreaming:)

GMG

Wishful thinking on my part at the present, but how bout a mostly TX division of Conference USA & everybody else: UNT, SMU, TCU Tulsa, La Tech, UTEP. I would hope we would move on, and want to go to a conference with established programs. After all, that is what we believe can happen. We should have bigger aspirations then to have UTSA or even Texas St. as rivals, don't see how playing shows our program is growing. After all, we have been in this game a lot longer than either. Come on guys, we need to think bigger & better!

right on Dozer! At least someone on this thread has higher aspirations for UNT than re-kindeling the old Southland Conference. If our fans want to line it up against the likes of UTSA, Texas State, Lamar, and the rest of the lot, god help us.

We need to move up rather than continuing to welcome every new kid on the block as our equal. Our success over our MANY YEARS of playing D1 sports is erratic at best, but I'm tired of the small time thinking. On the other hand, how the hell we accomplish these great things at this point is beyond me. Maybe the path to bigger and better things will clear up a bit once we actually break ground on a new stadium. As usual, we shall see.

It would lower the level of competition in the belt, but a championship game would be sweet.

Wow. Pot? Kettle?

UNT is one of the main factors currently lowering competition in the Belt. So we're really not in a position to dictate terms here.

As far as UTSA/TxSt goes (the #2&3 of the San Antonio - Austin market) I wouldn't get too excited. One of these teams doesn't exist yet, and will have trouble getting off the ground in the current climate - the other is having a hell of a time raising funds; mainly for the same reason. Both of them are interesting some time down the road.

Neither the Sun Belt nor the CUSA can survive intact in the upcoming realignment. Best case scenario is a 14-team North/South conference. Something like:

North: New Mexico State, Texas-El Paso, Tulsa, Arkansas State, Southern Methodist, North Texas, Louisiana Tech

South: Texas-San Antonio, Texas State, Houston, Rice, Lamar, Louisiana, Tulane

To some extent, it's dreaming, but it sets up one heck of a regional conference which should easily attract a regional TV deal and have relatively stable membership.

As far as re-creating the Southland, I'm afraid that's the level we're at. Even moving up to the CUSA wouldn't solve that problem - the West is so weak compared to the East that it's a conference bound to rip apart. Both LaTech and NMSU are better served by such a conference. The CUSA West survives unscathed. The only team looking in is Louisiana-Monroe, which is not as good a pick-up as LaTech.

We've been at it since before SMU even existed, UH was still swamp, Rice was still a vegetable, and people still went to Hardin-Simmons in Waco instead of TCU. We should be used to getting passed up. Now, how do we fix that? A much better question.

Like Dozer, I would not mind a "all Texas" division in an expanded SunBelt. I think UNT needs some rival games with schools close enough to drive to without much of a challenge and some folks fans can get excited about playing close to home. In-state rival games are great for building a fan base and stiring up things on both campuses as game day nears. Another plus is that the opposing team can bring fans to the games in Denton as well...all going to help boost attendance and bring fans out. All good in my way of thinking.

One reason folks think UNT does not "draw well" at home is that there are very very few fans from the opposing teams coming to sdenton for the games. The last time UNT played SMU in Dallas, the UNT fans made up at least 40% of the people in attendance. As you might recall...even Navy (not too close to Denton by the way) brought some opposing fans out....It would definitely be nice to see oUNT attenance figures rise from opposition fans in the seats as well as more UNT student, faculty, staff, townies, Alums and fans!!!!

I wonder what the "average opponent" attendance is in the Belt as compared to other D1 conferences????? My guess, not so good!

GO MEAN GREEN.

Like Dozer, I would not mind a "all Texas" division in an expanded SunBelt. I think UNT needs some rival games with schools close enough to drive to without much of a challenge and some folks fans can get excited about playing close to home. In-state rival games are great for building a fan base and stiring up things on both campuses as game day nears. Another plus is that the opposing team can bring fans to the games in Denton as well...all going to help boost attendance and bring fans out. All good in my way of thinking.

One reason folks think UNT does not "draw well" at home is that there are very very few fans from the opposing teams coming to sdenton for the games. The last time UNT played SMU in Dallas, the UNT fans made up at least 40% of the people in attendance. As you might recall...even Navy (not too close to Denton by the way) brought some opposing fans out....It would definitely be nice to see oUNT attenance figures rise from opposition fans in the seats as well as more UNT student, faculty, staff, townies, Alums and fans!!!!

I wonder what the "average opponent" attendance is in the Belt as compared to other D1 conferences????? My guess, not so good!

GO MEAN GREEN.

I have to agree. With Texas State looking to move up, the people have been speculating on where we might go. While the fans dream about CUSA-West or a new "Southwest Conference" most recognize the realistic conferences are Sunbelt or WAC. It is no secret that the WAC wants a foothold back in the Texas market, as they have offered an open invite to North Texas. Perhaps you will see Texas State or UTSA try to offer themselves to that conference. My real problem with the WAC is the associated travel costs, the late night games, and the fact that there is no instate rival. I think it is bad for business when your two closest opponents are ~500 miles away (either Las Cruses or Ruston).

At least with the Belt, North Texas would be closer. You could renew our rivalry with you and it would be a game that people travel to.

How does a two division conference with a championship game make a conference better? I'd rather have a smaller conference that allows us to play each team every season. Besides, I can't recall a Big XII championship game that's even remotely held my interest.

I see your point. But to the casual fans, the ones who come to the games in UT gear that are alumnae of "UNT", and others who don't show up at all is due to the teams we play. These fans do not get fired up over Florida Atlantic or Intl., Louisiana whatever, etc. And they won't get excited about Lamar, UTSA, or TSU. But games every year against TCU, SMU, RIce, TUlsal and UTEP would generate a lot more interest from the casual fan/former alumnae. Not disagreeing with you at all.

No reason to promote programs struggling to make it to our level. You never want to give your competition an advantage. No one has ever given this program a hand up, and we shouldn't do it with TSU or UTSA (which is really a moot point, cause they coming back as D1AA), otherwise we may see these programs go right past us. I know it sounds harsh, but thats just life in the jungle.

No reason to promote programs struggling to make it to our level. You never want to give your competition an advantage. No one has ever given this program a hand up, and we shouldn't do it with TSU or UTSA (which is really a moot point, cause they coming back as D1AA), otherwise we may see these programs go right past us. I know it sounds harsh, but thats just life in the jungle.

Exactly what we don't need. Another commuter school that doesn't travel.

Agreed. But we must get out of the 'we have potential' attitude and make $h*t, happen already.

Yep. That is my thinking. It takes money though. Lots and lots of money. People call it 'support' but that is a euphemism for money.

UTSA is coming back to play FCS but with the goal of being BCS eventually.

They are committed and have huge support from the city.

It will be interesting, though. They are a commuter school just like we were. (We have tried very hard to change that and have made progress). I wonder if UTSA will pass us in the next decade. We are regressing and they are progressing. They do have an advantage that we don't, however. Where we compete against TCU, SMU, and in some respects OU and UT for talent and support, San Antonio has the UT. That is it. I am from there, no one really roots for Texas State. Hell, the only reason people go there is to get drunk on the river. I know, I thought about doing that, too. SA is largely ignored in recruiting circles, maybe because we have sucky players, but maybe because we aren't a huge market.

Regardless, I think UNT should be proactive in making 'friends' as it were, with UTSA, TSU, and other in-state smaller schools. If we can band together, we can help each other be bigger collectively than f'in TCU and SMU's smug-*&^es.

Then any success THEY have, will be shared by US.

Sadly, what will happen is UTSA will surpass us, and quickly, once they get things off the ground.

Like South Florida, Central Florida and Florida Atlantic did, UTSA's athletic department is interviewing coaches with many skins on the wall. The only competition for fans in SA is the Spurs, and the important parts of their seasons don't mesh since the NBA playoffs don't begin until far after the college football season ends. I'd be surprised if UTSA gives the Sun Belt anything more than a prefunctory sniff.

I'd like to say that it's amazing that yet another start-up program will pass us by, but it's old news by now. The only difference is that this time it will be happening in-state so we'll be seeing it and hearing a bit more about it.

Also, the Sun Belt projections to the future are probably far-fetched, too. The more likely scenario is Troy bailing to higher ground and having its spot filled by USA. Schools have long proven that they do what makes sense for their bottom line, not what makes the most sense geographically on paper.