Signing Day Hijacking Attempts

Lambeau: You're angry at me for doing what you could have done; but ask yourself, Sean. Ask yourself if you want Will to feel that way, if you want him to feel like a failure.

Sean: Oh, you arrogant s&$*! That's why I don't come to the g.d. reunions, 'cause I can't stand that look in your eye. Ya know, that condescending, embarrassed look. You think I'm a failure. I know who I am, and I'm proud of what I do. I was a conscientious choice, I didn't f up! And you and your cronies think I'm some sort of pity case. You and your kiss-ass chorus following you around going, "The Fields Medal! The Fields Medal!" Why are you still so f'in afraid of failure?

Top 10 movie right there. Brilliant

This thread is where off-topic signing day posts go to either die or feast in Valhalla, pending your afterlife views.

This wasn't a conscious attempt in anyway...I'm as amazed as anyone that we went from Ryan Boutwell to Minnie Driver.

Edited by Censored by Laurie

Okay so post your top 5. If you could take five movies with you and watch them before you got a lethal injection, what would they be. Mine are (in no particular order):

1. Caddyshack

2. Forrest Gump

3. Good Will Hunting

4. Goodfellas

5. Tombstone

My top 10...in order (I can't just do 5):

1. Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

2A. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

2B. Rushmore

4. The Big Lebowski

5. Scotland, PA

6. Brick

7. Half Nelson

8. Good Will Hunting

9. Kontroll (more for the cinematography and setting than for the actual plot...I'm kinda obsessed with subways)

10. Waking Life

My top 10...in order (I can't just do 5):

1. Dr. Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

2A. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

2B. Rushmore

4. The Big Lebowski

5. Scotland, PA

6. Brick

7. Half Nelson

8. Good Will Hunting

9. Kontroll (more for the cinematography and setting than for the actual plot...I'm kinda obsessed with subways)

10. Waking Life

How in the F did I forget Big Lebowski.

At this point I've seen the Big Lebowski so many times that the only fun of watching it is either with a newbie or with buddies competing to correctly quote every line of the movie. Not sure how much fun it would be by myself on a metal tables with needles already inserted into both arms.......

At this point I've seen the Big Lebowski so many times that the only fun of watching it is either with a newbie or with buddies competing to correctly quote every line of the movie. Not sure how much fun it would be by myself on a metal tables with needles already inserted into both arms.......

Unless, of course, a certain herbal substance is involved.

Affleck and/or Damon movies that I like better than Good Will Hunting:

Dazed and Confused

Chasing Amy

Dogma

Saving Private Ryan

Rounders

Ocean's 11

All three Bourne movies

Syriana

The Brothers Grimm

and maybe The Departed, though I can never get over how much it sucks compared to the original.

Also, it must be said that Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo.

The Good Shepherd. Excellent film.

Get the f outta my car, man.

Affleck and/or Damon movies that I like better than Good Will Hunting:

Dazed and Confused

Chasing Amy

Dogma

Saving Private Ryan

Rounders

Ocean's 11

All three Bourne movies

Syriana

The Brothers Grimm

and maybe The Departed, though I can never get over how much it sucks compared to the original.

Also, it must be said that Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms, yo.

I can't believe I just read someone puts Brothers Grimm above Good Will Hunting. And Mystery Men? WTF about that movie jizzez you up so much to put it in any top-10? I suppose you have the same to say about one/some of mine.

My on-a-whim top 10 in no particular order:

Big Lebowski

Dark Knight

Good Will Hunting

Clerks/Clerks 2

LOTR

Rain Man

Braveheart

Schindler's List

Serenity

Austin Powers

Good to see some Kevin Smith fans around here.

Edited by greenminer

I can't believe I just read someone puts Brothers Grimm above Good Will Hunting. And Mystery Men? WTF about that movie jizzez you up so much to put it in any top-10?

Brothers Grimm: Even low end Terry Gilliam movies own 99% of anything else out there.

Mystery Men: I honestly believe that Mystery Men is quite possibly the best comedy film of the past decade. I love, love, love that movie. The direction is horrible (thanks, spastic commercial guy!) but the script and the performances are GENIUS.

I hesitate to get too far into this subject here. When we launch the new site (c'mon, graphics guy!) we're going to have a weekly feature called "Full Frontal Fondness" where we spotlight things we unabashedly, unironically love/appreciate. I may have to save Mystery Men for that feature.

For now, I'll just say that Mystery Men is an absolutely sublime blend of 1) social/political/cultural references that require an amazing breadth of knowledge to even recognize, much less appreciate and 2) childish toilet humor and fart jokes. It's simultaneously subtle and broadly lowbrow. And I love the commentary on mediocrity, super hero convention, and the egg salad speech.

And for crying out loud... That script? That CAST?!?! I weep over how under appreciated Mystery Men is.

Cameos by Goodie M.O.B. and MICHAEL BAY?!? "Yes... Absolutely you can bring ze 'BREWskeeees'".

I honestly, unironically, sincerely, no joke LOVE that movie. Love it. I drop Mystery Men quotes whenever I possibly can, sort of like a code to find any other fans who may be listening.

Brothers Grimm: Even low end Terry Gilliam movies own 99% of anything else out there.

Mystery Men: I honestly believe that Mystery Men is quite possibly the best comedy film of the past decade. I love, love, love that movie. The direction is horrible (thanks, spastic commercial guy!) but the script and the performances are GENIUS.

I hesitate to get too far into this subject here. When we launch the new site (c'mon, graphics guy!) we're going to have a weekly feature called "Full Frontal Fondness" where we spotlight things we unabashedly, unironically love/appreciate. I may have to save Mystery Men for that feature.

For now, I'll just say that Mystery Men is an absolutely sublime blend of 1) social/political/cultural references that require an amazing breadth of knowledge to even recognize, much less appreciate and 2) childish toilet humor and fart jokes. It's simultaneously subtle and broadly lowbrow. And I love the commentary on mediocrity, super hero convention, and the egg salad speech.

And for crying out loud... That script? That CAST?!?! I weep over how under appreciated Mystery Men is.

Cameos by Goodie M.O.B. and MICHAEL BAY?!? "Yes... Absolutely you can bring ze 'BREWskeeees'".

I honestly, unironically, sincerely, no joke LOVE that movie. Love it. I drop Mystery Men quotes whenever I possibly can, sort of like a code to find any other fans who may be listening.

Okay, can I just say that I truly can't wait for this FFF feature you're planning to do??? I was a student at NT (the first time) when Mystery Men was in theaters, and excitedly went to see it opening weekend... dragging my then girlfriend to what I referred to as "a new Paul Reubens movie! And Ben Stiller and a bunch of other people are in it too!".... don't ask. I had/have a Reubens fascination, thought the cast was insanely good, and I actually bought a Smash Mouth CD... hey, I was young.

Anyway, I remember being underwhelmed.... the impact was minimal, in my memory at least. Didn't hate it, got chewed out for forcing said gf to attend (there are reasons she's not around anymore), but quickly forgot about it. Now, I'm thinking I should revisit it after your post.. I'm totally shocked, but I think it's worth a trip... maybe a bit more awareness, a few more years, a little less cheap booze, and a lot less Golden Triangle I & II will help...

... oh, and how the F did the Michael Bay cameo fly under my shoddy little radar?!? That alone is worth the price of re-admission. BOOOOM!

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

Okay, can I just say that I truly can't wait for this FFF feature you're planning to do??? I was a student at NT (the first time) when Mystery Men was in theaters, and excitedly went to see it opening weekend... dragging my then girlfriend to what I referred to as "a new Paul Reubens movie! And Ben Stiller and a bunch of other people are in it too!".... don't ask. I had/have a Reubens fascination, thought the cast was insanely good, and I actually bought a Smash Mouth CD... hey, I was young.

Anyway, I remember being underwhelmed.... the impact was minimal, in my memory at least. Didn't hate it, got chewed out for forcing said gf to attend (there are reasons she's not around anymore), but quickly forgot about it. Now, I'm thinking I should revisit it after your post.. I'm totally shocked, but I think it's worth a trip... maybe a bit more awareness, a few more years, a little less cheap booze, and a lot less Golden Triangle I & II will help...

... oh, and how the F did the Michael Bay cameo fly under my shoddy little radar?!? That alone is worth the price of re-admission. BOOOOM!

I saw it with my girlfriend at the time, who was also captivated by it. I actually saw it 4 or 5 times in theaters, and I don't think I've ever done that with any other movie in my life. When I spent some time teaching high school, I created a film analysis assignment around Mystery Men. I can't stand how unappreciated and ignored that movie is.

I think if you watch it again, you'll like it a LOT more. The direction at the beginning (all the crappy closeups and poorly executed comic-style framing) takes people out of things and I can see how it would be tough to get back into it. But that script... I don't understand how anyone who claims to love The Big Lebowski can watch Mystery Men and not be in love with it, too.

And just so you'll know, Michael Bay is the Frat Boy who asks Cassanova Frankenstein if they can "bring the brewskis" at the evil gang meeting.

This seals it. The first FFF will be Mystery Men.