01/27/09 Anticipated CM Interviews

02/12/09 Anticipated Formal Contract Award Notification

03/01/09 CM Pre-Construction Services Agreement Authorized

10/01/09 GMP from CM

11/01/09 Anticipated Notice to Proceed

02/15/10 Anticipated Construction Start

07/15/11 Substantial Completion – Ready for Occupancy

09/15/11 100% Construction Complete/Final Inspection

All very interesting but no mention of how it will be financed? Yes, I know about the athletic fee, but getting that approved by the legislature is required whether you are building a stadium or not, so the legislature approval is for the fee, not the stadium. You and I have discussed the other 30 million or so needed above the student fee, and you voiced your concerns. Have you heard anything substanital that would alleviate your concerns about the financing?

Edited by Green Dozer

So, I guess this means in 2010 when Kansas State comes down... we'll be playing in Fouts! :ph34r:

Thanks for the continuous updates on the stadium progress Flyer! It is MUCH apprecaited.

If they come down. Bill Snyder may yet buy out of it. He almost always had Kansas State playing at home against patsies throughout September, not travelling to them.

LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). I'm always forgetting what the initials stand for.

There is a professional building in Denton (corner of Scripture @ Bonnie Brae) that has replaced some of their paving with this grass/pavement system. I noticed it earlier this month and it didn't look like grass nor did it look like concrete. I would think more maintance than pavement and less than grass (gravement ?)

I'm not sure the LEED thing is done to save money so much aa it's to save the earth. (ie; those curley light bulbs and Sloan waterless urinals)

And has there been any duscussion/decision as to a grass or artificial playing surface ?

GO MEAN GREEN

Rick,

I'm sure you have more info on this than I do, as my knowledge of the LEED building program at NT is basically limited to a conversation I had in the ESSC (first LEED certified building on campus, now 10 years old) with a Geography professor whose primary interest is Environmental Geography... but, based on my limited recollection of the conversation, to merely meet LEED certification is no longer a very difficult process, and there are many "above and beyond" standards being met by some newbuilds (not stadiums, just in general construction). He said it's still a very good thing to build LEED certified buildings (and was happy with the proactive role NT has taken), but perhaps the biggest benefits are PR/awareness and decreased long term operating costs (there are clearly environmental benefits, just the main two are above). He was of the belief that it is far cheaper to build LEED facilities now that it was in the past.

I believe also that just about every new building on campus (post-ESSC) is LEED certified, is it not? Have LEED standards changed in the last decade since the ESSC was built? If not, I imagine it is far easier to meet those standards with advances in Green tech.

Have you ever looked into some of the things that the ESSC does? That's a really amazing building on a lot of levels. Off-topic, sorry.

Guest GrayEagleOne

All very interesting but no mention of how it will be financed? Yes, I know about the athletic fee, but getting that approved by the legislature is required whether you are building a stadium or not, so the legislature approval is for the fee, not the stadium. You and I have discussed the other 30 million or so needed above the student fee, and you voiced your concerns. Have you heard anything substanital that would alleviate your concerns about the financing?

As long as it's happening, who give a rat's rear HOW it will be financed? In all of the past history of North Texas they haven't announced a schedule for anything that wasn't more than 50% pledged, usually higher. I'd wager that this is the case with the stadium.

Let me point out that there has been an upgrade of personnel in the fund-raising part of the athletic department. Contrary to some opinions, we do have several alums that can spare that kind of money (whether they will or have is the issue). In addition, these new people also have some corporate contacts and this stadium sits in a prime location for advertising. Also, I believe that there was a task force of our wealthier donors to get others to commit as well. Lastly, there will no doubt be a grass roots fund raising to include the rest of us seeking $1000 and up over the life of the stadium bonds (or less) in which I hope several thousand alumni will participate.

I'm with Old Timer. This is a very happy and exciting time at North Texas. Why ruin it with all of the negativity?

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Well, I think it was last year sometime, that I predicted an opening date of 2012, so I was off by 3 months. Great news.

Question? Does anyone have a speculation as to whether or not NT is still intent on building a "LEED" certified facility?

Thoughts?

Rick

Yes, all new UNT facilities are being built with the intention of attaining LEED certification

As long as it's happening, who give a rat's rear HOW it will be financed? In all of the past history of North Texas they haven't announced a schedule for anything that wasn't more than 50% pledged, usually higher. I'd wager that this is the case with the stadium.

Let me point out that there has been an upgrade of personnel in the fund-raising part of the athletic department. Contrary to some opinions, we do have several alums that can spare that kind of money (whether they will or have is the issue). In addition, these new people also have some corporate contacts and this stadium sits in a prime location for advertising. Also, I believe that there was a task force of our wealthier donors to get others to commit as well. Lastly, there will no doubt be a grass roots fund raising to include the rest of us seeking $1000 and up over the life of the stadium bonds (or less) in which I hope several thousand alumni will participate.

I'm with Old Timer. This is a very happy and exciting time at North Texas. Why ruin it with all of the negativity?

UNT FOOTBALL STADIUM ALUMNI TASK FORCE

spare_change.jpg

One of our wealthier donors getting others to commit
Edited by Green Dozer

All this worrying about the other $30 million is ridiculous. We've already received a good percentage of that, and much of it will be picked up by corporate donors. The rest will be paid for by increased donation requirements, higher ticket prices, private donations from alumni, and other fundraising activities. I guess some people just see the need to complain incessantly.

All this worrying about the other $30 million is ridiculous. We've already received a good percentage of that, and much of it will be picked up by corporate donors. The rest will be paid for by increased donation requirements, higher ticket prices, private donations from alumni, and other fundraising activities. I guess some people just see the need to complain incessantly.

Did the tooth fairy leave a good percentage of the 30 million under you or RV's pillow? Is Santa going to bring the rest?

Edited by Green Dozer

...because, as I'm fond of saying, you can stand on a busy corner on the NT campus and hand out $100 bills and invariably some student will bitch that their's was wrinkled.

I first made that observation (to my wife) back in the mid-70's. Sadly, it's one of the few traditions that continues with our school.

Edited by SilverEagle

...because, as I'm fond of saying, you can stand on a busy corner on the NT campus and hand out $100 bills and invariably some student will bitch that their's was wrinkled.

I first made that observation (to my wife) back in the mid-70's. Sadly, it's one of the few traditions that continues with our school.

I'm gonna call your bluff on this one.

It is sometime more expensive to build green, but then you save more long term. For example, the lightbulbs are more expensive, but you generally replace them much less often. And they use less electricity.

My girlfriend is in the energy efficiency business. They update lighting in commercial buildings by installing more efficient fixtures and bulbs. The updates pay for themselves in a year or two.

I have no idea on the grass pavement stuff.

Unfortunately, that has not been my experience. I switched my entire house from incandescent lights to the "more efficient" ones. I am replacing bulbs more frequently, not less frequently and I haven't changed my lighting habits like leaving lights on because they consume less electricity or anything like that. Plus these new bulbs contain mercury so are probably a lot worse for the environment (in manufacture and disposal) than "classic" lightbulbs. I'm thinking this is all a scam. Anyone else have the same or different experience with the new-fangled light bulbs?

Keith

Oh, I almost forgot.....Go Mean Green!

Also, talk about moving at a snail's pace for the stadium.

I'm gonna call your bluff on this one.

I don't need to spend a cent to make my point about my metaphor (I thought you were a college student...or graduate, and understood such things). But my metaphor was confirmed just a few years ago when the athletic dept decided to tighten up their monitoring of students who came into the football games by virtue of showing their ID's.

This was intended to make sure that people who came into the games without buying a ticket were actually current students . Most students were used to just flashing their ID cards (current or not) without any sort of scrutiny. But when they actually had to show a valid card and have it scanned before entering the game, many bitched and griped like they were being charged $50.00 to enter. And all they had to do was have their valid student ID scanned.

Nevermind that students at UT, A$M and TT have to buy ticket packages in addition to their student service fees, in order to attend football and basketball games.

I don't need to spend a cent to make my point about my metaphor (I thought you were a college student...or graduate, and understood such things). But my metaphor was confirmed just a few years ago when the athletic dept decided to tighten up their monitoring of students who came into the football games by virtue of showing their ID's.

This was intended to make sure that people who came into the games without buying a ticket were actually current students . Most students were used to just flashing their ID cards (current or not) without any sort of scrutiny. But when they actually had to show a valid card and have it scanned before entering the game, many bitched and griped like they were being charged $50.00 to enter. And all they had to do was have their valid student ID scanned.

Nevermind that students at UT, A$M and TT have to buy ticket packages in addition to their student service fees, in order to attend football and basketball games.

Disregard my earlier post. I'm with you now. I freaking hate college students, especially the ones at North Texas.

I have heard reports about a clerk in a store who sold these bulbs came across a busted one...had to be taken in an ambulance to the Hospital, couldn't breathe, later another clerk had the same thing happen to her and she also had to be taken to the hospital emergency room...some town in the panhandle of texas. doctors had to look up in books to find how to treat him. When I was a VP at EL Paso CC we had a nursing program..broke a mercury thermonitor in a classroom ..we had to evacuate the building, bring in a haz mat team. I broke a mercury thermonitor and had to take it to North Ft. Worth (from Mansfield) to the nearest haz mat despository. THEY ARE DANGEREOUS. Everyone needs to contact their washington representatives....

From the brilliant aforementioned girlfriend:

"as far as the environmental stuff goes...the way they make them is safe...and if they are disposed of properly (Home Depot has disposal facilities) then it's safe as well"

Also she said that if you are running them on dimmers, it screws up the ballasts and burns them out

From the brilliant aforementioned girlfriend:"as far as the environmental stuff goes...the way they make them is safe...and if they are disposed of properly (Home Depot has disposal facilities) then it's safe as well"

Also she said that if you are running them on dimmers, it screws up the ballasts and burns them out

She must read the board.

Suck up.

Here is the link for the project posting:

http://pps.unt.edu/images/stories/bid%20pd..._70553MR_CM.pdf

Thanks for the Stadium updates. Hopefully this will get swift passage in the Texas Legislature. Anyone know the timeline for that submission?

http://photos-973.ll.facebook.com/photos-l...793668_9190.jpg

Edited by NT80

OK, you know what...yep, it's 2011 and not 2010, BUT the stadium is being built and that IS the good news. Let's focus on the positive and the fact that something that UNT has needed for its program and university for a LONG time is getting done! UNT is closer that it has been to seeing the new stadium come to life...focus on the positives, folks...it will happen!

And, as far as the new light bulbs for the home...I repalced about every on in my home during this last year...other than a few of the earlier ones that take awhile to brighten up, I couldn't be happier with them. Seems they did help costs on a monthly basis, and I was not KILLED OR INJURED when I dropped one and it broke in our den while being installed recently...none have burned out in the 18 mo. some have been installed and in use...one was replaced becaue it seemed to dim, but that's it! I like them!

GO MEAN GREEN!