Bcs Craziness

UNTflyer

Interesting post from another board about playoff vs. BCS:

**********************************************************************************

"A F%$#ING PLAYOFF" doesn't end the controversy, it only changes it's form.

In a tournament/playoff format one team could still be highly ranked and could possibly win the MNC--despite an earlier loss to another team--without ever having to play that team again. All a playoff/tournament provides is for the team with the easiest draw, or who's playing better (and healthier) to win. What about the controversy on the number of teams from one conference? If it is an 8 team playoff do they allow 3 teams from (for example) the Big 12 into the playoff?

The BCS system isn't around to determine who the best team is for the whole season (just as a playoff/tourney isn't)...and it never has been. The BCS system is designed to produce a "National Championship Game" that can be sold to teevee at a higher and higher price. The BCS championship game doesn't preclude a non-participant in the game from being named a National Champion...see USC in 2003.

The bottom line is that someone will always feel like their team got screwed and waiting for someone else to design a "perfect system" to determine something that's never been adequately defined (National Champion = what?) is self-inflicted frustration."

Yes, the so-called experts said if Texas, OU, and Tech all win out that OU would jump UT in the BCS poll on the basis of a schedule strength increase by playing Okie State at the end of the season vs UT playing A$M. The tie-breaker for the Big 12 Division is BCS standing, thus OU would face Mizzou in the championship game. I also see Bama losing to Florida in the SEC Championship game. The BCS Bowls (I hope it makes everyone unhappy enough to scream for the need to have a true playoff!):

BCS Title game: OU vs Florida

Rose: Penn St. vs USC

Orange: Ohio St. vs Boise St.

Sugar: Texas vs. Bama

Fiesta: Utah vs Texas Tech

Did the ACC and Big East disband?

Rose: Penn St. vs USC

Orange: Ohio St. vs Boise St.

Sugar: Texas vs. Bama

Fiesta: Utah vs Texas Tech

You have 3 Big 12 teams and have left out the Big East and ACC.

Here's how it will play out:

Rose: Penn St. vs Oregon State

Orange: Ohio St. vs Cincinnati

Sugar: FSU vs. Bama

Fiesta: Utah vs Texas

Edited by UNTflyer

So how does #3 OU make it past #2 Texas?

Why does #10 Ohio State get an at-large over #9 Boise who still has one more game to help boost their ranking?

So how does #3 OU make it past #2 Texas?

Why does #10 Ohio State get an at-large over #9 Boise who still has one more game to help boost their ranking?

The SOS boost from beating OSU is expected to do it - along with the stronger OOC wins against Cincy and TCU.

Ohio State will get the bid because the BCS only has to choose one non-traditional team in Utah. In a coin flip, OSU brings more money.

If the OOC bump of Cincy & TCU mattered, OU would currently be ranked a head of Texas. Texas has the head-to-head win, that comes before any Strength Of Schedule argument to most pollsters.

And what about #5 USC?

The difference between the teams is in the thousandths (.0084) and the OSU win will move OU ahead. One SOS improves this weekend and SOS goes down.

And, if OU does get upset, how do you rank Texas ahead of Tech after Texas plays in the conference championship.

Now, in a more fun world, Baylor pulls the shocker over Tech, A&M beats Texas and then Mizzou beats Tech. FSU beats UF and then UF beats Alabama.

USC vs. Utah could then happen and then Boise State might get that at-large bid.

I don't care what happens at this point, but if I have to watch a matchup, I think Florida/OU sounds the most fun. I also think Florida beats any of the Big 12 challengers by 10+.

The difference between the teams is in the thousandths (.0084) and the OSU win will move OU ahead. One SOS improves this weekend and SOS goes down.

And, if OU does get upset, how do you rank Texas ahead of Tech after Texas plays in the conference championship.

Now, in a more fun world, Baylor pulls the shocker over Tech, A&M beats Texas and then Mizzou beats Tech. FSU beats UF and then UF beats Alabama.

USC vs. Utah could then happen and then Boise State might get that at-large bid.

I don't care what happens at this point, but if I have to watch a matchup, I think Florida/OU sounds the most fun. I also think Florida beats any of the Big 12 challengers by 10+.

I agree that a OU win in Stillwater is more impressive than a UT blowout of ATM. But I don't think Bedlam is a foregone conclusion. And I still think the human polls give Texas the edge over OU because of the head-to-head win.

If OU looses, Tech goes to the Big 12 championship and I'm not sure you can rank UT ahead of Tech if they are the Big 12 champ.

Your doomsday scenario has a problem, if Tech and UT loose, OU goes to the Big 12 title game. I also think the SEC champ plays in National Championship, even if it picks up one more loss.

How about this?

Oklahoma loses to OSU, Alabama loses to Auburn

Texas Tech goes to the Big XII title game where they lose against Missouri while Alabama punks Florida.

I honestly don't think that you can throw Texas in the National Title game(not after last year anyways...in the past 2 times has a school that didn't win their league been thrown into the title game, but after Georgia was bypassed last year, I don't expect it to happen again). So who goes then? If Oregon State loses to Oregon, you can pick USC - but if the Beavers win I'm not sure you can take them either(technically speaking they'd both be champions of the Pac-10, but no one really gives credit to the head to head loser).

So does Utah enter the mix? Or more likely...a sentimental vote for Paterno?

I agree that a OU win in Stillwater is more impressive than a UT blowout of ATM. But I don't think Bedlam is a foregone conclusion. And I still think the human polls give Texas the edge over OU because of the head-to-head win.

If OU looses, Tech goes to the Big 12 championship and I'm not sure you can rank UT ahead of Tech if they are the Big 12 champ.

Your doomsday scenario has a problem, if Tech and UT loose, OU goes to the Big 12 title game. I also think the SEC champ plays in National Championship, even if it picks up one more loss.

First, I don't think OU beating OSU is a foregone conclusion, but I think their running game will control the win if you forced me to pick.

I switched up my scenarios. Tech beats Baylor and then loses to Mizzou while OU and Texas lose this weekend. If they all had two losses, it goes back to the polls and who you want to punish the least, which would probably be OU since they would be the only losing to a team with a .500 or better record while on the road. Even if a 2 loss OU team beats Mizzou, its safe to say they won't play for the title.

I think Alabama could recover from a loss, so let's expand it some. Auburn beats Bama and then FSU beats Florida. Then 2 loss Florida beats Bama and they all have two losses.

USC still has Notre Dame and UCLA, so let's assume an absurd upset there.

Then you have Penn State, Utah and Boise fighting for their spot in the top 3, just the way Miles Brand imagined it in the late 90s...

How about this?

Oklahoma loses to OSU, Alabama loses to Auburn

Texas Tech goes to the Big XII title game where they lose against Missouri while Alabama punks Florida.

I honestly don't think that you can throw Texas in the National Title game(not after last year anyways...in the past 2 times has a school that didn't win their league been thrown into the title game, but after Georgia was bypassed last year, I don't expect it to happen again). So who goes then? If Oregon State loses to Oregon, you can pick USC - but if the Beavers win I'm not sure you can take them either(technically speaking they'd both be champions of the Pac-10, but no one really gives credit to the head to head loser).

So does Utah enter the mix? Or more likely...a sentimental vote for Paterno?

If that scenario played out as you said, you absolutely put Texas in the title game and you make a it a rematch of 2005 against USC-- regardless of whether or not either team "won their conference." Penn State losing to Iowa is far less acceptable than UT losing on the road to (eventually) 11-1 Tech on the last play of the game. You aren't going to argue to put Boise State in there over USC just because they "won their conference", are you?

If that scenario played out as you said, you absolutely put Texas in the title game and you make a it a rematch of 2005 against USC-- regardless of whether or not either team "won their conference." Penn State losing to Iowa is far less acceptable than UT losing on the road to (eventually) 11-1 Tech on the last play of the game. You aren't going to argue to put Boise State in there over USC just because they "won their conference", are you?

Utah would be undefeated and would have beaten Oregon State....the same co-champ of the Pac-10 that USC could not defeat.

Not to mention a 1 loss Penn State that annhilated that same Beaver team.

Edited by CMJ

Utah would be undefeated and would have beaten Oregon State....the same co-champ of the Pac-10 that USC could not defeat.

I might say did not defeat because like Penn State against Iowa, I think USC probably wins that game at least 7 out of 10 times, but I see your point. Its a crazy, fun debate. I'd love to see Utah in there just to shake things up. That would be a dream scenario for me as the consummate fan of the underdog.

Edited by Eagle1855

Loose = not tight

Lose = did not win

Just sayin'

You have 3 Big 12 teams and have left out the Big East and ACC.

Wow. We've actually beat two of those ten teams over the past couple of decades. Three if you count the '88 thievery in Austin. I've got a Mean Green cup in my hand at this very moment, and I may have to break down and start singing the UNT fight song. :D