Black Is Not Our Colors

GoMeanGreen1999

I will call the athletic department on this monday, but for the love of our University, can we not please get either white or green shirts or pants on the injured players that are now sitting in the stands? Seriously, not only are they dressed in ALL black, they couldn't even stand while the fans were standing for the playing of the SCHOOL song. The University is paying their education, the least they could do is stand for the playing of the Alma Mater and be engaged in what is happening on the field.

I have heard the argument against the all black look as under armor doesn't make "Kelly" green, yet our ALL of our training staff wears the darker green under armour shirts. Our team walks in on the Mean Green march in all black. Either find something green and white for them to wear, or dress them in suits.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

don't you think it a tedious thing to nag them about the colors of their warm ups?

Do you think it is tedious to nag students that come to the home games in other school shirts? No, I don't believe it is nagging when we are trying to build school spirit, to ask our Football team to wear the school colors.

Psst... the elephant in the room is the coaching, not the uniforms for injured players.

When our coach decided to have more "give up" and go for the field goal without passing once into the endzone at the end of the first half, I gave up myself. I realize we have many more problems than this, I guess I just expect a little more class from our players. But you know what, it is a leadership issue when your own players are the only ones in the stands not standing up during the playing of the school song.

When our coach decided to have more "give up" and go for the field goal without passing once into the endzone at the end of the first half, I gave up myself. I realize we have many more problems than this, I guess I just expect a little more class from our players. But you know what, it is a leadership issue when your own players are the only ones in the stands not standing up during the playing of the school song.

I have not read anything in 99's topic that he thought wearing the right colors would fix the problem. But, the point is success is a lot of times in the small details. Coaches who have won championships make sure their players embrace traditions such as the school song, and that they show this, especially when they are with the fans. TX would have stood before their band for the "Eyes of Texas", helmets off, and their hand extended with the hook'em horns hand sign if they had been beaten by OU today 72-0. And Mack Brown would have right there with them. Why should our school song be any different? I have seen teams in person, and via ESPN entering stadiums for a game and the programs that most fans consider successful have their players in dress suits or they have nice warm up suits but in the school colors. Man, if we ask our fans to wear their favorite UNT shirt to a game, nobody would know our color because there would be green or some form of it, black, blue, pink, etc. Our stands would resemble a crayola box. 99, you make some valid points.

Edited by Green Dozer

After thinking about these outfits that not only our football team dressed in, but also our "Eagle Angels" decided to dress in all black, I think I will go out and get one of these black under armor shirts and start wearing it to the game so I match.

I will call the athletic department on this monday, but for the love of our University, can we not please get either white or green shirts or pants on the injured players that are now sitting in the stands? Seriously, not only are they dressed in ALL black, they couldn't even stand while the fans were standing for the playing of the SCHOOL song. The University is paying their education, the least they could do is stand for the playing of the Alma Mater and be engaged in what is happening on the field.

I have heard the argument against the all black look as under armor doesn't make "Kelly" green, yet our ALL of our training staff wears the darker green under armour shirts. Our team walks in on the Mean Green march in all black. Either find something green and white for them to wear, or dress them in suits.

I posted this topic last week. The team had green UA warm ups and white UA shirts last year. People on this board had a fit several years ago when the team came out in all black uniforms but now it is okay to walk through the Mean Green March in all black.

I don't understand the Eagle Angels in all black either. There was a time when RV drove around this campus and exchanged shirts and hats that students were wearing with other schools' logos with UNT t-shirts and hats.

It is in the small details. Small details such as being proud to wear your school colors; standing for the alma mater; walking over to the band and singing your alma mater at the end of a game, yelling for your teammates when you can't be on the sidelines with them. It is up to the coach to cover those small details. The small details lead to the larger details.

Cue Quoner

This should be a non-issue.

"Under Armor. How should I direct your call ?"

"Yes. This is the University of North Texas Athletic Department. We'd like to order some warm ups for our players."

" OK. What color ? Well, duh. I guess you would want green since you guys are the Mean Green. Right ?"

" Well, no. I think we'd rather order black. I'm told the players really don't like green and black is, well, it's one of our alternative colors." "We used to use blue and orange, but now we use black."

" Seems kinda bizarre to me, but I just take orders around here. Thanks for calling Under Armor and hook 'em. That's you guys isn't it ?"

I posted this topic last week. The team had green UA warm ups and white UA shirts last year. People on this board had a fit several years ago when the team came out in all black uniforms but now it is okay to walk through the Mean Green March in all black.

I don't understand the Eagle Angels in all black either. There was a time when RV drove around this campus and exchanged shirts and hats that students were wearing with other schools' logos with UNT t-shirts and hats.

It is in the small details. Small details such as being proud to wear your school colors; standing for the alma mater; walking over to the band and singing your alma mater at the end of a game, yelling for your teammates when you can't be on the sidelines with them. It is up to the coach to cover those small details. The small details lead to the larger details.

Well I spoke to Athletics and they said that UA doesn't make anything in the Kelly green this year and that is why they are in all black. However they did say that they can understand the value in putting them in some green or white and would look into it. Also said they are supposed to stand for the school song and be engaged in the cheering on of their teamates. Said that they would make sure that changed for the next game.

As for the Eagle Angels, I am still awaiting a call back from them.

Don't hold your breath man, they are way out of your league. I kid, I kid. :D

Well they may be out of getting anything done about it for sure, as I have found out they represent out athletic department and they are there to promote the Mean Green athletics programs. At least the athletes had "North Texas" in white on their all black shirts, these girls had no green or white on period, they were in all black. Maybe our Athletic Department is confused.

Well I spoke to Athletics and they said that UA doesn't make anything in the Kelly green this year

Really? Then where did the coaching staff get their green shirts? I'm beginning to wonder if this UA deal is worth the hassle. We should go with a vendor that wants to serve North Texas, not the other way around.

Edited by UNTLifer

The problem here at NT is that their is no consistency of green anywhere, not in the bookstores, not at Voertman's, and not at the University.

No one has a clue what the apppropriate color of green to wear. UNT needs one official outfitter, be it Nike, UA, or whoever and stick with it. Then the University needs to stand strong and buy from the vendors who make the appropriate green color, period.

There is only one Aggie Maroon, only one Michigan "big blue."

UNT has ten different shades of green. No wonder people want to wear black.

I thought the response from the guy at Athletics was interesting so I went to the Under Armor site. I looked around for a moment and then clicked on "apparel" and then to "warm ups." Up popped a green and white warm up jacket that went with the green and white warm up pants. Now it didn't say North Texas or Angels on it but it was a pretty green. Looked like the same green that our team wore last Saturday night.

Go Stadium

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe

The problem here at NT is that their is no consistency of green anywhere, not in the bookstores, not at Voertman's, and not at the University.

No one has a clue what the apppropriate color of green to wear. UNT needs one official outfitter, be it Nike, UA, or whoever and stick with it. Then the University needs to stand strong and buy from the vendors who make the appropriate green color, period.

There is only one Aggie Maroon, only one Michigan "big blue."

UNT has ten different shades of green. No wonder people want to wear black.

See this is what I told them - so what if UA doesn't have "Kelly" green as the uniforms, that doesn't stop them from dressing the trainers in the traditional green. And it doesn't stop people from wearing 10 different shades of green. JUST don't wear all black. You are the football team for crying out loud. It's kind of like last year when our band wore red....that is not our school colors. I know I am making a big deal about this, but come on. GREEN or WHITE.

I thought the response from the guy at Athletics was interesting so I went to the Under Armor site. I looked around for a moment and then clicked on "apparel" and then to "warm ups." Up popped a green and white warm up jacket that went with the green and white warm up pants. Now it didn't say North Texas or Angels on it but it was a pretty green. Looked like the same green that our team wore last Saturday night.

Go Stadium

GO MEAN GREEN

I saw the same and got a little excited myself. I think you'll see those are forest green or classic green. Neither are kelly green.

Don't let John Wiley Price know of this black controversy as he may feel this is racisr just as he did when someon on the Dallas County Commissioner's Court mentioned thr Black Hole and others when the SPCA decided to have a Black Adoption Day (in case you did not know black dogs are not adopted as often as others why? who knows - but it was all about DOGS. I personally always liked them and am white.

Alright, Athletics still stands by their "UA doesn't make our EXACT Kelly green color" and they said until they do, they will wear Black.

Dump UA and go with another vendor. Let me guess, wearing UA was a stipulation of Dodge's since that is what his previous team wore.