Doomsday Scenario

mad dog

I keep hearing this, and I want to believe it. I just don't know how we can possibly know for sure. Have we ever faced a cocktail of circumstances like this before? Do we have an assurance or resolution from the Board or Dr. B that football will never fold no matter how bad things get? I admit that I might have missed out on a declaration, or some other action in the past that leads you to be certain of this. Please let me know your reasoning; I really need reassurance.

I think one thing in favor of continued football at UNT, even if things go completely awry, is that football games have become much more of an event than they were in former days, and we have to thank RV for that. Tailgating and the village and all the activities out there on game day make this more than just a football game for the students to attend. Back in the day it was just a game by a bad team. Today there's more reason than just football to go to Fouts.

The administration of UNT loves having the student population of 35,000 or more. It makes them a lot of money so they can throw it around to administrators. All they have to do is look 35 miles to the south and see what the lack of a football program does to retard enrollment. UNT will never go the UTA route....they are too greedy for that. They will find a way to stay afloat....it might give them an excuse to show a lot of athletic types to the door.

Ok so if the football stadium vote is rejected it's all RV's fault and he should be fired ??

I think if it wasn't for him we might not even have the issue to vote for. Would you rather have another AD who has no vision of a new stadium. RV has done a great job in raising money, and he's just doing everything possible to make a big leap forward by trying to get a new stadium.

What benefit would we have by having a new AD ? Would this new AD have new ways to raise money ?? Would this new AD have more connections to big pocket alumni ? Would this new AD even want a new stadium?

We have to have a new stadium to move forward and RV knows this and is doing what he can do to make this happen.

Forgive me if im missed informed about something because i'll admit i haven't followed this subject 100% , but this is just my 2 cents.

Serious question folks: HOW did this program get from 4-time Sun Belt Conference Champions to where they are now?? I truly had my doubts for awhile as to whether the CAJUNS would ever really be able to compete in this Conference, but they persevered and seem to be getting there. In fact, I'm impressed at how the entire Conference has grown, particularly over the last 3-4 seasons.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Serious question folks: HOW did this program get from 4-time Sun Belt Conference Champions to where they are now?? I truly had my doubts for awhile as to whether the CAJUNS would ever really be able to compete in this Conference, but they persevered and seem to be getting there. In fact, I'm impressed at how the entire Conference has grown, particularly over the last 3-4 seasons.

Sorry, I missed this as I started my previous reply about the same time that you posted this.

I believe that there are four main reasons how we deteriorated to this point.

1. We had a staff that believed in stealth recruiting. Don't tell anyone who you are trying to sign so that if you don't get them then the whole world won't know. It's also easier because you can start late and get the best of what's left.

2. Facilities that you wouldn't take your best girl friend to. Those have been corrected except for the stadium. Recruits are turned off by the fans all bringing binoculars and telescopes to watch the game.

3. A previous offensive coordinator that only had eight plays. Well, we think that he had eight plays...we only saw six of them.

4. Hiring a great high school coach who sought to bring along high school coaches for a college staff.

Unlike the 3 University of Louisiana schools which each receive around $7 million, North Texas gets no money from the state. North Texas runs the athletic budget with an incredibly small institutional contribution, especially for a school it's size.

Throughout the 1970's the athletic budget was very tiny, so much so that North Texas dropped down to the 1-AA level in 1983 just to save money. Suddenly, a school which had been Division 1 forever was relegated to playing schools just moving up from Division 2 in the constantly changing Southland Conference.

Throughout the 1980's the institutional contribution from the university never increased. Student activity fees diverted to athletics were around $21 per student per semester. During successful football seasons North Texas couldn't even afford to bid on hosting 1-AA playoff games. When the NCAA decided in 1992 that wins over 1-AA teams could no longer count towards bowl eligibility North Texas was forced to move to 1-A just to keep the lucrative guarantee games that helped it make budget.

The losses continued to accumulate as games were sold to the highest bidders. Alumni and the community distanced themselves from the futility.

North Texas joined the Big West Conference but was soon forced to start selling away basketball as well just to meet the travel expenses.

The Big West Football Confeence disbanded and North Texas was then in a much more affordable regional league with other schools with small budgets as many were recent move-ups to 1-A. (UL-Lafayette was always in 1-A, but ya'll still had possibly one of the worst coaches ever in 1-A ball). North Texas had an incredible run of success with several 'reach' defensive players that became good enouth to draw NFL interest and dominated the new Sun Belt Football Conference for several years.

For whatever reason, with the exception of Jamario Thomas, those NFL caliber players stopped coming after the 2001 signing class.

Meanwhile, amid the football success, the NCAA was preparing to put North Texas on probation for Title IX violations for not being able to adequately fund women's sports. North Texas responded by passing it's first ever athletic fee of $3 per credit hour. This was enough to rescue the women's sports and get them facilities but it did nothing to assist football.

Athletic Departments at other schools in the Sun Belt are all receiving in excess of $400 per year per student (some over $500 per year) and North Texas is stuck at $45 per semester plus a small amount that is still reluctantly diverted from student activity fees.

Other schools in Texas that have Division 1-A aspirations, Texas State and UTSA have recently approved dedicated athletic fees of $20 per credit hour, up to $600 per student per year. Division 2 West Texas State is also moving to $20 per credit hour, and Division 1-AAA Lamar which doesn't even have football has student contributions nearly double North Texas at $170 per student per year.

That's where we are today; a horribly underfunded program that struggles to compete playing in a horrible stadium that they can't afford to replace.

There's a student referendum currently being proposed and it is even questionable whether it will even pass. If it passes, it will raise the student athletic fee only $7 per credit hour and will not go into effect until a replacement stadium is built, probably around 2011 at the earliest.

Athletics is the most visible aspect of any university. It can raise or cripple the perception of a university.

It is obvious what the lack of investment at North Texas has caused.

Edited by ADLER

Unlike the 3 University of Louisiana schools which each receive around $7 million, North Texas gets no money from the state. North Texas runs the athletic budget with an incredibly small institutional contribution, especially for a school it's size.

Throughout the 1970's the athletic budget was very tiny, so much so that North Texas dropped down to the 1-AA level in 1983 just to save money. Suddenly, a school which had been Division 1 forever was relegated to playing schools just moving up from Division 2.

Throughout the 1980's the institutional contribution from the university never increased. Student activity fees diverted to athletics were around $21 per student per semester. When the NCAA decided in 1992 that wins over 1-AA teams could no longer count towards bowl eligibility North Texas was forced to move to 1-A just to keep the lucrative guarantee games that helped it make budget.

The losses continued to accumulate as games were sold to the highest bidders. Alumni and the community distanced themselves from the futility.

North Texas joined the Big West Conference but was soon forced to start selling away basketball as well just to meet the travel expenses.

The Big West Football Confeence disbanded and North Texas was then in a much more affordable regional league with other schools with small budgets as many were recent move-ups to 1-A. (UL-Lafayette was always in 1-A, but ya'll still had possibly one of the worst coaches ever in 1-A ball). North Texas had an incredible run of success with several 'reach' defensive players that became good enouth to draw NFL interest and dominated the new Sun Belt Football Conference for sveral years.

For whatever reason, with the exception of Jamario Thomas, those NFL caliber players stopped coming after the 2001 signing class.

Meanwhile, amid the football success, the NCAA was preparing to put North Texas on probation for Title IX violations for not being able to adequately fund women's sports. North Texas responded by passing it's first ever athletic fee of $3 per credit hour. This was enough to rescue the women's sports and get them facilities but it did nothing to assist football.

Athletic Departments at other schools in the Sun Belt are all receiving in excess of $400 per year per student (some over $500 per year) and North Texas is stuck at $90 plus a small amount that is still reluctantly diverted from student activity fees.

Other schools in Texas that have Division 1-A aspirations, Texas State and UTSA have recently approved dedicated athletic fees of $20 per credit hour, up to $600 per student per year. Division 2 West Texas State is also moving to $20 per credit hour, and Division 1-AAA Lamar which doesn't even have football has student contributions nearly double North Texas at $170 per student per year.

That's where we are today; a horribly underfunded program that struggles to compete playing in a horrible stadium that they can't afford to replace.

There's a student referendum currently being proposed and it is even qustionable whether it will even pass. If it passes, it will raise the student athletic fee only $7 per credit hour and will not go into effect until a replacement stadium is built, probably around 2011 at the earliest.

Great Post!

Throughout the 1970's the athletic budget was very tiny, so much so that North Texas dropped down to the 1-AA level in 1983 just to save money. Suddenly, a school which had been Division 1 forever was relegated to playing schools just moving up from Division 2 in the constantly changing Southland Conference.

Throughout the 1980's the institutional contribution from the university never increased. Student activity fees diverted to athletics were around $21 per student per semester. During successful football seasons North Texas couldn't even afford to bid on hosting 1-AA playoff games. When the NCAA decided in 1992 that wins over 1-AA teams could no longer count towards bowl eligibility North Texas was forced to move to 1-A just to keep the lucrative guarantee games that helped it make budget.

The Big West Football Confeence disbanded and North Texas was then in a much more affordable regional league with other schools with small budgets as many were recent move-ups to 1-A. (UL-Lafayette was always in 1-A, but ya'll still had possibly one of the worst coaches ever in 1-A ball). North Texas had an incredible run of success with several 'reach' defensive players that became good enouth to draw NFL interest and dominated the new Sun Belt Football Conference for several years.

Athletic Departments at other schools in the Sun Belt are all receiving in excess of $400 per year per student (some over $500 per year) and North Texas is stuck at $45 per semester plus a small amount that is still reluctantly diverted from student activity fees.

There's a student referendum currently being proposed and it is even questionable whether it will even pass. If it passes, it will raise the student athletic fee only $7 per credit hour and will not go into effect until a replacement stadium is built, probably around 2011 at the earliest.

Athletics is the most visible aspect of any university. It can raise or cripple the perception of a university.

Adler, you(or someone in your name) should submit this as an editorial to the NT Daily. Seriously....this speaks to what many on campus have to be feeling as they watch our football team disintegrate on field. I think this would help the student vote have a better chance of passing. Of all the editorials submitted and other stuff that has been printed, none have presented the facts as straight forward as this.

Edited by TIgreen01

Throughout the 1970's the athletic budget was very tiny, so much so that North Texas dropped down to the 1-AA level in 1983 just to save money.

Just to be accurate, the NCAA FORCED NT and a LOT of other schools to drop to 1AA. We would have needed to have had larger crowds during the two or three previous years to stay and/or to have already build a larger stadium. I think what was USL got to stay 1A because of the size of their stadium, but it might have been attendance. Know Arkansas State was also forced down at the same time. You could appeal, but in your appeal you had to prove that during the previous two (or was it three) years you in fact HAD a larger stadium or could document by a physical count larger attendance. That was impossible for anyone to do and thus none of the appeals caused a change in status. I've sometimes heard an urban myth that if NT had just filed some kind of paper they could have stayed 1A and that is simply not true.

In any case, the drop to 1AA was NOT to save money, but once we dropped parts of the University at the time used that as a means to force further budget cuts. There was a very strong push by some to drop football altogether, but Dr. Hurley managed to make the argument that 1AA was a good compromise.

Yeah, but they don't have the prospect of going 2-21 in two years.......Dodge-ball is a joke......been a 12-year, 4 ticket season ticket holder....and this is horrible. Think we can mount a campaign like we did with "No More Moore"?

Ouch.

If teams like Temple, Kent State, Ball State, San Jose State, Eastern Michigan, etc. continue to field D-I football teams for years and years, we should be able to as well. At least I hope so.

If you're asking what I would do if the worst happened with the team, the stadium, and the university decided to pull football.............

...........I'd save a bunch of money every year and they'd probably never hear from me again.

That's just me.

It's not just you. Me too.

Just to be accurate, the NCAA FORCED NT and a LOT of other schools to drop to 1AA. We would have needed to have had larger crowds during the two or three previous years to stay and/or to have already build a larger stadium. I think what was USL got to stay 1A because of the size of their stadium, but it might have been attendance. Know Arkansas State was also forced down at the same time. You could appeal, but in your appeal you had to prove that during the previous two (or was it three) years you in fact HAD a larger stadium or could document by a physical count larger attendance. That was impossible for anyone to do and thus none of the appeals caused a change in status. I've sometimes heard an urban myth that if NT had just filed some kind of paper they could have stayed 1A and that is simply not true.

In any case, the drop to 1AA was NOT to save money, but once we dropped parts of the University at the time used that as a means to force further budget cuts. There was a very strong push by some to drop football altogether, but Dr. Hurley managed to make the argument that 1AA was a good compromise.

To quote Bart Simpson " Au Contraire Mon Frair".

This is a moot point though, North Texas had nowhere else to go and couldn't afford to remain independent.

North Texas was not forced down to 1-AA and I don't believe that any school has ever been forced to that level. Idaho, NMSU, and Utah State have all been warned of possible probation which could eventually result in 1-AA (FCS) membership, but nobody has yet been forced down by the NCAA.

When 1-AA was formed in 1978 it created a more affordable 63 scholarship limit and there was a 4 team playoff bracket among several of the conferences which wished to participate.

The Southland Conference had been Division 1 from 1975 through 1981 with a bowl tie-in to the Independence Bowl.

Prior to the 1982 season, the Southland lost it's only bowl contract and it's member schools, all except ULL, decided to join the more cost effective NCAA Division 1-AA and it's then expanded 12 team playoff system.

There was no set criteria for the NCAA for teams to have to meet or be forced to 1-AA. North Texas joined the Southland for strictly economic reasons; it could no longer afford to carry a 1-A independent team, opponents for home games could not be found, there were no postseason possibilities, and North Texas could not afford the travel budget. There was a very strong push by some to drop football altogether, but Dr. Hurley managed to make the argument that 1-AA was a good compromise. (Please remember that the independent status was affecting all sports, not just football, Bill Blakeley's competitive teams of the 1970's were never invited to any post-season play).

North Texas opted to move to the 1-AA Southland Conference.

There was a set criteria for any school to move up to the 1-A level: must have a stadium capacity of 30,000 and must average 17,000 at home games. Southland members La Tech, Arkansas State, and UL-Monroe all met this criteria and moved up to 1-A football.

North Texas needed to maintain the bodybag guarantee games to make budget sothere was a push to rejoin 1-A in 1995. Fouts Field was expanded to 30,000 and attendance exceded 17,000.

The next year North Texas joined the Division 1-A Big West Conference. Institutional funding was never increased, and that has landed North Texas where it is today.

While I won't argue with you about UNT finances, as I know nothing about them, you are mistaken about the Louisiana schools. They receive NO direct support from the state, and are limited to 3% of the University budget or $3.5 million, whichever is higher, on institutional contribution to athletics. Additionally, U of Louisiana system schools are prohibited by system rule from levying student fees for athletics.

While I won't argue with you about UNT finances, as I know nothing about them, you are mistaken about the Louisiana schools. They receive NO direct support from the state, and are limited to 3% of the University budget or $3.5 million, whichever is higher, on institutional contribution to athletics. Additionally, U of Louisiana system schools are prohibited by system rule from levying student fees for athletics.

The 3% was prior to 2006.

In 2006 the Louisiana State Legislature approved for state assisted colleges to raise the amount that can be used for athletics. This comes from money paid to the state in tuition as well as the state supported assistance to the schools as part of their total budget. This affected all Louisiana FBS and FCS schools except LSU which, as reported, receives no state assistance for athletics. Based on a combination of athletic scholarships used and university enrollment, estimates for the 2008-2009 school year University of Louisiana System schools were $6.5 million for ULM, $6.7 million for LTU, and $7.1 million for UL-Lafayette.

State's college athletic programs could hit jackpot if Regents approve funding

By Dan McDonald

Louisiana Gannett News

The formula for funding of Louisiana collegiate athletics will undergo a radical change with a proposal that goes before the State of Louisiana Board of Regents’ Finance Committee today.

If the proposal is approved by the Finance Committee and passed during a Thursday Board of Regents meeting in Baton Rouge, state colleges and universities would have the flexibility to fund significant increases in athletic department budgets.

“It is a significant change in the amount of support for athletic programs that the board will allow to come from the operating budgets,” said deputy commissioner for finance and administration Donald J. Vandal. “It allows for a fairly significant increase.”

The proposal would alter a Board of Regents formula that has been in place since 1989. The major change would create a support figure based on three percent of the university’s total overall budget, along with an increase in percentage support for scholarship funding.

For ULL, one of the schools supporting the proposal, the formula change would increase the maximum state support allowed for athletics for the 2007-08 fiscal year from approximately $3.16 million to approximately $6.5 million. Vandal said the increase would be phased in over a two-year period.

That would boost ULL’s overall athletic budget from the $8 million range to nearly $11.5 million, putting the Cajun program more in line with most members of the Sun Belt Conference. In 2005, the most recent year where numbers are available, Sun Belt athletic budgets ranged from approximately $6.7 million at UL Monroe to approximately $14.5 million at Florida Atlantic.

“We did some analysis over quite a while, looking at conferences that our schools participate in,” Vandal said. “The evidence is pretty clear that we’ve had a more restrictive policy on athletic spending and that’s kept them below other schools in most of their conferences. For the most part they’re way behind, so we thought it was appropriate to go to some adjustments.”

ULL president Ray Authement would not comment on specifics of the proposal, but did say he was confident about its approval during Thursday’s 9 a.m. Board of Regents meeting. Today’s Finance Committee meeting is scheduled for 10:30 a.m.

“All of the presidents were asked for comments and some adjustments were made,” Authement said. “What’s taking shape is almost exactly what we recommended. We think what we’re proposing is very satisfactory.”

The proposal passed as suggested in July 2006. ULL's state support was raised to $6.5 million when total enrollment was around 16,000. Since the figure is directly tied to the schools enrollment figure, and ULL has grown by around 4% each of the last 2 years, that would put the figure over $7 million for the 2008-2009 school year.

Article published Jul 11, 2007

Regents OK funding increase

Dan McDonald

dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

It took two weeks longer than anticipated, but Louisiana's college athletics departments breathed a sigh of relief Monday when the State of Louisiana Board of Regents sent them a present to start the budget year.

The Board's executive committee passed a proposal Monday that allows state schools to aim more of their budgets toward athletic programs, giving those schools a chance to be more financially competitive with out-of-state conference and regional rivals.

The two-part proposal could have an eventual impact of approximately $2.3 million annually on the UL athletic budget, with the initial increase phased in over a two-year period. Its passage comes during a period when state schools are finalizing budgets for the 2007-08 fiscal year.

"We were glad that they saw the need to resolve the issue in time for the budget this year," said UL interim athletic director David Walker. "If it would have been put off any longer, we wouldn't have been able to apply it to this year, so we're happy that they were able to meet and pass the proposal so quickly."

The passage had been expected nearly two weeks ago at the Board of Regents' regular June meeting, but the board's Finance Committee did not approve the policy since several members had not had a chance to study the proposals.

"They didn't receive it until the night before the meeting," said UL president Ray Authement, who noted that several of the state's presidents requested last-minute changes in the proposal. "They asked for time to review it. We got them to allow the executive committee to make the decision and they met yesterday with some board members."

Authement said the proposal passed unanimously.

"We've been after this for at least four years," Authement said, "when finances began to improve. This was a concentrated effort that was supported by all the other presidents."

Edited by ADLER

If the Doomsday Scenario happened? There would be a ceremonial burning of my battle flag in my front yard. Anyone else in the New England area that wants to make a day of it can drop on by.

Keith

If that happens Bro then you will have to wait until I make the trip to add my flag to the pyre.

Adler, you(or someone in your name) should submit this as an editorial to the NT Daily. Seriously....this speaks to what many on campus have to be feeling as they watch our football team disintegrate on field. I think this would help the student vote have a better chance of passing. Of all the editorials submitted and other stuff that has been printed, none have presented the facts as straight forward as this.

People on this board get annoyed when the underlying problem with North Texas athletics is brought up. Facilities, coaches, players, logos, losses, merchandise, and uniform colors are more interesting topics, but some times you must ignore the individual pixels and look at the whole picture. The fundemental problem with North Texas is, and has always been, a lack of institutional investment.

In the major sports, North Texas has only one postseason victory in the past 60 years. No other school in the nation can say that.

I am not a student and have no business or interest in trying to sway their vote one way or the other. If somebody that is a student would like to present some of this, then feel free to. It's not really my opinion, it's just a display of how North Texas athletics have gotten to where they are today.

the present a.d. or football coach world not be responsible for the failure of the students to tax themselves for a new stadium. it would just afirm the the students don't want it and the graduates won't pay for it. the historical problem goes back decades and rest on the shoulders of previous university presidents and regents. if you can't do it right, don't do it at all. wihtout a new stadium, we are in an arms race that we can't compete in. should the students say no, the my voice would be to drop the program rather than move back to 1aa or continue to be 119th out of 119 1a programs. there are only so many beans in the pot, and my money would go to the basketball program. having said this, lets not get the cart before the horse. we will know the future of our athletic program this saturday.