Unreal

Green Guy Bass

I cannot imagine a D1 NCAA team as bad as we are. I could probably go the rest of my life and not see anything this bad on a football field. I am going to just vent a little. I don't care if you read it or respond, but I have to get these thoughts out of my head because I want to sleep tonight.

Defense - Just terrible. I know I am not breaking any news here, but GOOD GOD!!! I have never seen a unit that lacked as much confidence as this one. I thought the coaches emphasized tackling more this week at practice?? Our guys want to do nothing but arm tackle, and are constantly out of position. Our secondary does not react and fly to the ball, it's as if the majority of our defense is spectating at times. Any team can do anything they want on this group. Vomit.

Special teams - More suck. Knott is not that great. Our coverage team was better tonight, but still not that impressive. Oh yeah, and any time you allow a blocked punt, you lose. It's science.

Offense - 428 yards and 10 points. Todd Dodge's system is not a college offense. Oh yeah sure....you can point at Mizzou and Florida and other schools that run it. But guess what, they can run the ball. They utilize a TE. They have the offensive line capable of protecting their QB's so he can set his feet. Vizza rarely had anytime tonight to set up and throw, always moving in the pocket and always on the run. He is a tough SOB, but we really need to have some offensive sets that we can run out of on a consistent basis and not have our QB get his ass completely kicked every game.

I know Dodge is a spread guy, but WHY ON EARTH DO WE NOT HAVE A FEW FORMATIONS WHERE WE GO UNDER CENTER??? WE are a D1 College f---ing football team. Utterly ridiculous, especially since we have a little bit of talnet and speed at RB. And Dodge COMPLETELY abandons the run game for stretches of the game, just unreal. Play calling and overall scheme just flat out sucks and there is no excuse for that. I will go ahead and come out and say it....Dickey's offense was better that this one. Thought I would never utter those words. I also though that we would never go winless in a season, but get ready folks.

I was very impressed with Fitzgerald and somewhat with Lott. They were pretty good. But it's like Emmitt Smith once so eloquently said, "We had some diamonds, and we had some poo-poo. And you mix the diamonds in with the poo poo, then it all look like poo poo." No kidding, he really said that.

What the hell else is there to say?? I am sure there is some absurd excuse for football that happened tonight somewhere on this Green Earth, but I have not doubt in my mind the worst was in Denton, Texas in the middle of a track.

I know that you have to give coaches and managers a reasonable amount of time before they get the axe, but a week or two more of this is completely and totally unacceptable in every way. If I were RV I would have canned him immediately after his postgame interview with Jub, if in fact he did one tonight after that abortion.

Personally, I think the only positive thing that happend tonight was not spending the precious gas money to travel down I-35 to see that display of complete ineptitude.

I will stop ranting now....felt good to get that out. I hope FLYER doesn't wet the bed because I posted the Truth and a student might happen to read it.

No funeral.

Venting over what NT is putting out on the field is certainly well deserved. You are right that we should give new coaches/coaching staffs time but atleast you can compete. SMU played a pretty damn good UCF team today on the ROAD and only lost 31-17 and I believe they were up 10-3 at one point in the 2nd quarter. I feel your pain, shock, anger etc. I wish I just stayed outside to tailgate rather than coming in for the game had I known it woud turn out like this.

SMU played a pretty damn good UCF team today on the ROAD and only lost 31-17

Good? UCF was 1-3 and the only win against a 1-AA. Although they did lose in OT against USF, they got killed by UTEP and beat bad by Maryland.

As for UNT, could this be the worst NT team ever? Only a stadium vote passage may save this season and any future fanbase.

Edited by NT80

Good? UCF was 1-3 and the only win against a 1-AA. Although they did lose in OT against USF, they got killed by UTEP and beat bad by Maryland. As for UNT, could this be the worst NT team ever? Only a stadium vote passage may save this season and any future fanbase.

Ok maybe damn good shouldnt have been used but they arent that bad. Atleast for NT's standards they are pretty damn good and superior.

Our field goal kicker is Knott that good! Jk, lol. Ok its not funny.

I have been in and around athletics for a very long time and this team is the MOST pitiful example of team sport that I have ever witnessed above the junior high level. I'm too pissed to say anything else.

I agree...just pathetic. Following since mid 70's (grad MBA 79) and I will say this has been the worse 2 yrs ever...no doubt. Guys, you know it when you find it and this (Dodge) isn't it. Not even competitive and it is just to bad and painful to even watch the game...which is really sad. Looks like RV made a pretty bad decision....anyway, the only thing to do is get this stadium vote passed and start construction asap....no stadium and UNT football is history, it will go the way of UTA and it will be the last time I have anything to do with UNT, as is the same for my relationship with UTA (BBA 76)... as for Dodge, what happens here?....ask RV.

I have to say i agree. If this stadium doesn't pass then I think that UNT Footbal will go the way of the DODO, we are pathetic in every facet of the game. We have good talented players but the game just sucks.... What happened to the offense that we had last year? What happened to DeLoach giving this defense swomething to play with, like a scheme? What happened to showing up for the game? I know that it takes time to rebuild but honestly there are only two things that can save UNT football from extinction right now and they are passing the stadium, which wtih this team may not happen, or somehow getting our heads out of our asses up at fouts and winning a game or two this season. You knwo what maybe the idea of winning is to much, maybe just being competitive for once. if that happens i might be able to continue watching past the first half...

Offense - 428 yards and 10 points. Todd Dodge's system is not a college offense. Oh yeah sure....you can point at Mizzou and Florida and other schools that run it. But guess what, they can run the ball. They utilize a TE. They have the offensive line capable of protecting their QB's so he can set his feet. Vizza rarely had anytime tonight to set up and throw, always moving in the pocket and always on the run. He is a tough SOB, but we really need to have some offensive sets that we can run out of on a consistent basis and not have our QB get his ass completely kicked every game.

It has been said before but I will say it again: Mizzou and Florida do not run this offense. Not only do both use TEs and run the ball, Florida has the QB under center more than half their plays from scrimmage. Urban Meyer learned quickly that he can't win in the SEC with the offense he had at UTah. Don't confuse "similar formations" with "similar offenses".

I cannot imagine a D1 NCAA team as bad as we are. I could probably go the rest of my life and not see anything this bad on a football field. I am going to just vent a little. I don't care if you read it or respond, but I have to get these thoughts out of my head because I want to sleep tonight.

Defense - Just terrible. I know I am not breaking any news here, but GOOD GOD!!! I have never seen a unit that lacked as much confidence as this one. I thought the coaches emphasized tackling more this week at practice?? Our guys want to do nothing but arm tackle, and are constantly out of position. Our secondary does not react and fly to the ball, it's as if the majority of our defense is spectating at times. Any team can do anything they want on this group. Vomit.

Special teams - More suck. Knott is not that great. Our coverage team was better tonight, but still not that impressive. Oh yeah, and any time you allow a blocked punt, you lose. It's science.

I know Dodge is a spread guy, but WHY ON EARTH DO WE NOT HAVE A FEW FORMATIONS WHERE WE GO UNDER CENTER??? WE are a D1 College f---ing football team. Utterly ridiculous, especially since we have a little bit of talnet and speed at RB. And Dodge COMPLETELY abandons the run game for stretches of the game, just unreal. Play calling and overall scheme just flat out sucks and there is no excuse for that. I will go ahead and come out and say it....Dickey's offense was better that this one. Thought I would never utter those words. I also though that we would never go winless in a season, but get ready folks.

I was very impressed with Fitzgerald and somewhat with Lott. They were pretty good. But it's like Emmitt Smith once so eloquently said, "We had some diamonds, and we had some poo-poo. And you mix the diamonds in with the poo poo, then it all look like poo poo." No kidding, he really said that.

What the hell else is there to say?? I am sure there is some absurd excuse for football that happened tonight somewhere on this Green Earth, but I have not doubt in my mind the worst was in Denton, Texas in the middle of a track.

I know that you have to give coaches and managers a reasonable amount of time before they get the axe, but a week or two more of this is completely and totally unacceptable in every way. If I were RV I would have canned him immediately after his postgame interview with Jub, if in fact he did one tonight after that abortion.

Personally, I think the only positive thing that happend tonight was not spending the precious gas money to travel down I-35 to see that display of complete ineptitude.

I will stop ranting now....felt good to get that out. I hope FLYER doesn't wet the bed because I posted the Truth and a student might happen to read it.

No funeral.

A big reason that the QB was having to move in and out of the pocket and getting hit on every throw was the absence of Bailey and Menard. A true freshman played guard last night, I don't know why?

Sean, I agree with you.

To play on Harry's intervention theme, I announced to the 5 or 6 people left in my section last night, that I acknowledge that I (we) have hit bottom. We are officially and absolutely the worst team in college football (and I humbly opine that this would include about 90% of FBS schools). We cannot go any lower. Yes, we can lose by more points than we did tonight, and we will. We will empty the stands before the game, not before the 4Q starts. We will not win a game this year, and probably next. But we are at the bottom. We have fallen, and at this moment, in the vast depths of the cave in which we find ourselves, I see no way up.

I was coming up for air, with just a hint of hope during moments of this game last night, but a big anchor was tied to my leg and I remained underwater, flailing to get to the sunshine, to the sweet nectar of oxygen...and then I drowned.

I will be attending AA tomorrow.

And then I will be there next week (oops, forgot..I am in Maui for a meeting next weekend).

And then I will be there Oct 25.

And then I realized: Besides my two kids, I brougt 9 other people to this game last night...and we had a blast. We got there at 3 pm. Saw the team come through the MG Village (that wasn't as fun as I remembered in past years) and then the band. We talked with old friends, met a few more (enjoyed meeting the mom of one of our QB's), drank a few beers and a few pops, ate pre-game brats and had a pre-game pickle, soaked in some sun. The port-a-pottys were pristine. 5 kids from my son's football team came and they played football before and after the game (beating the three dads on the last play). I got some kettle korn. I made a few people laugh in the stands. My cynicism infected and transformed 7-8 fans into caring, passionate fans, even if just for a moment. I made the incredulous discovery that my paltry offering to the atheltic program ranks in the Top 20 (not counting the Capital Project Donors). I watched my kids on TV after the game.

And then I came on this board, threw up, and as I stared at my reflection in the bile-stained waters of my seat-heated throne, it came back to me: My job, my family, my happiness in life is not tied to how well my football team does on Saturday. I love coming to games. I love seeing us win. If my life depended on a win, I would have been dead 100 times over, so I choose to enjoy what has been given me, what I can control. I am glad I graduated from the University of North Texas (then North Texas State University). I am a cheap ass, surrounded by a bunch of other cheap asses, who are content with underfunding their "cherished" football program, who use any excuse to quit giving, quit going, quit. And last night, we got our money's worth.

It has been said before but I will say it again: Mizzou and Florida do not run this offense. Not only do both use TEs and run the ball, Florida has the QB under center more than half their plays from scrimmage. Urban Meyer learned quickly that he can't win in the SEC with the offense he had at UTah. Don't confuse "similar formations" with "similar offenses".

Sadly, or actually luckily with UNT's debacle, I was at the Florida/Arkansas game yesterday, my first SEC game. Both Florida and Arkansas (first year coach Petrino) run similar offenses, and yes they are a version of spread but much different than UNT's. Both QBs are off the center except for short yardage plays and both use TEs. I was not real impressed with either offense much as they consisted mainly 90% of dump off passes to backs in the flats, runs off tackle or mid-range passes 10-20 yards. The big OL is what is stressed, sealing the corners, and runs after short catches to get around the corners.

Could they even beat a junior high team? :o

I honestly believe that Euless Trinity or Plano Senior High (#1 and #2 in Texas respectively) could give us a run for our money. Any mediocre offense can score on our defense at will. I doubt they could stop our offense, but you never know. As much as I like Plano, that is just sad.

I honestly believe that Euless Trinity or Plano Senior High (#1 and #2 in Texas respectively) could give us a run for our money. Any mediocre offense can score on our defense at will. I doubt they could stop our offense, but you never know. As much as I like Plano, that is just sad.

Remember this:

People used to joke that Southlake Carroll could beat us when we were in down years.

But now we've got the man responsible for Southlake... And he can't beat ANYONE at this level.

So take heart, there's no way we'd lose to a high school team.

I've always thought Forrest Rucker would probably put on another 20 or so pounds and move to DE...but now I'm starting to think he'd make a great tight end. I'd like to think Dodge is a smart enough guy to realize when his offense needs tweeking and that a tight end could be of great use. The recruiting board also lists a couple of TE's considering UNT.

I know Dodge is a spread guy, but WHY ON EARTH DO WE NOT HAVE A FEW FORMATIONS WHERE WE GO UNDER CENTER??? WE are a D1 College f---ing football team. Utterly ridiculous, especially since we have a little bit of talnet and speed at RB.

Early in the game we had a 3rd down and 1 and we decided to throw the ball into the endzone instead of going and getting the one yard with the run. Then on Fourth we are still in the semi-shotgun (or whatever you call it these days) and we hand it off. If you are under center and you handoff, the RB has to go 2 yards from the spot of the handoff, as it is now, he has to go a good 4-5 yards.

Also, down 35-0 go for the touchdown, don't kick the FIELD GOAL. Geepers.

Menard has not played the last two games. Why? JC transfer Hollovay finally is ready to play and started and got two 15 yard penalties.

Menard has played the last 2 games; he backs up Hollivay now. You don't get 15 yards for false start or holding. I think both of Hollivay's were false starts (5 yards).

I have not doubted that Euless Trinity COULD beat UNT and some other Division I teams. However, Coach Lineweaver at Trinity does still have faith in Dodge; I still feel that Dodge must put together a recruiting pipeline to Euless Trinity that results in more than 1 player retained from there in 2 recruiting classes. And yes, I will address that issue further at another time.

I have not doubted that Euless Trinity COULD beat UNT and some other Division I teams. However, Coach Lineweaver at Trinity does still have faith in Dodge; I still feel that Dodge must put together a recruiting pipeline to Euless Trinity that results in more than 1 player retained from there in 2 recruiting classes. And yes, I will address that issue further at another time.

With respect, I think there is a zero chance that Trinity could beat ANY D-1 team, and probably no Division II teams, either. There's just too much of a speed differential.

With respect, I think there is a zero chance that Trinity could beat ANY D-1 team, and probably no Division II teams, either. There's just too much of a speed differential.

Well, Coach Lineweaver says that their style of play is designed to make the most of their talent. I have been wondering about North Texas and whether UNT coaches do the same.